Marvel Mystery Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Those of you fellas that use Marvel Mystery Oil for freeing up locked parts,are you talking about the oil they recommend for adding to your oil change?Or the stuff they recommend for adding to your fuel tank?
Many Thanks
Lawrence

Howdy.In the 70's I worked in a saw shop for a couple years. We used to coat the cylinder walls with MMO when putting rebuilds together. The motor oil additive type. I just put a piston and rings in an 038 magnum the first time Ive torn a saw down in over 30 years. I put a very small coating into the main bearings, connecting rod bearings, wrist pin, cylinder and rings. It took 10 to 15 minutes for the smoke to clear up. Other than lubing the piston amd cylinder I don't know if it does much good. But some of the old timers around here swear its the only way to go.......Bob
BTW The saw runs great!:chainsaw:

Lawrence- it's the oil additive that a lot of people use for freeing up corroded parts. I personally use PB Blaster and have had better results with that. If it's really nasty then I use PB Blaster and a little acetone.

It has been awhile since Sea-Foam has been mentioned here.

Marvel has it's place, but maybe more of a mystery.

Sea Foam is about one of the only additives approved by the FAA , and mentioned for use in aircraft.

Fantastic product mixed with fuel or as an oil additive, if your after varnish from fuel or oil build-ups, Sea Foam is worth a try.

here is a story just to give you an example of how good that stuff is,

working for an oilchange shop we had a car get an engine flush,

we used MMO which we got really good deals on. well the oil was drained and

the tech forget to put the drain plug back in so we poured the MMO in and it

drained right out the drain hole (which we didn't know at the time)

that car sat running for 5 minutes and after the "flush" we found out there

was no oil in the motor......... put the plug in filled it with oil and away she went

that car is still running to this day

Unless they changed something MMO is MMO. The can/bottle states add to gas or add to oil. Also they state explicitly not for air tool use.

MMO makes a specific air tool oil though.

Working on guns all the time, I recommend a product called Kroil,"the oil that creeps" mfg by the Kano company, can find it on midway usa's site. For stuck choke tubes, frozen actions, for the occassional stuck case in a reloading die it is the cat's azz. The stuff stinks, but as far as a penetrant and as lubing at the same time it's hard to beat, we also use CRC-56 on farm stuff, it's what the local parts store sells and we've used it for years with good luck.
If your dealing with large parts, just take a coffee can and put your part in and then fill it 5/8 full of diesel and the fill the rest with transmission fluid and let it set a week, usually cleans things up pretty well. Just done a set of roller lifters that way that had been stored properly and they cleaned up really well.

Sea Foam is about one of the only additives approved by the FAA , and mentioned for use in aircraft.

Fantastic product mixed with fuel or as an oil additive, if your after varnish from fuel or oil build-ups, Sea Foam is worth a try.

We used to run MMO as an oil additive in the R985s and 1320s. Our TBO usually ran about 2000 hours. Dad always credited the MMO for the long TBO. LOL...I think it was more the fact that he'd scream bloody murder if we pulled more than 36" on take-off that made those old clunkers last so long.

i like the stuff works great when i used it. my uncle just rebuilt my 460 block and dropped it in the truck and fired right up got timing set but the valves kept clicking pretty loud it wasnt bad but we let it idle for like 5 minutes and the valves were still clicking so my uncle go a quart of mystery oil and dumped it in and the valves immediatly stopped clicking. it wasnt a miracle but it worked good for me.:clap:

Amazing!

You guy's never stop amazing me,no brown nosing intended! A guy ask's a question, WHAM, there's answers right back at ya.
Thanks to you guy's for all your answers!To those of you that I can I will send some rep your way.
Lawrence

Lawrence- it's the oil additive that a lot of people use for freeing up corroded parts. I personally use PB Blaster and have had better results with that. If it's really nasty then I use PB Blaster and a little acetone.

I whipped up a mix of ATF and acetone that I use at work. I got the idea from another forum so I cant take credit for it. :cheers:

Yep I have it from an engineer friend that the best penetrating solution is a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF.
I use Kroil, cant stand the stink though getting it off your hands is a hassle and it drips everywhere.

Yup, 50/50 mix of ATF & acetone for a penetrating oil.
For you shooters, I use MMO as a substitute for kerosene when I mix Ed's Red cleaner. My wife would shoot ME if I used kero in the house.

Uh, hate to tell you this but;

I followed up with Jim at Sea Foam and for the record;

Sea Foam is NOT FAA APPROVED. These words from Jim,

"They have never approached the aviation market for a fuel or oil additive, nor do they plan to."

Good product, I use it myself, FAA approved or otherwise.

:givebeer:

Uh, hate to tell you this but;

I followed up with Jim at Sea Foam and for the record;

Sea Foam is NOT FAA APPROVED. These words from Jim,

"They have never approached the aviation market for a fuel or oil additive, nor do they plan to."

Good product, I use it myself, FAA approved or otherwise.

:givebeer:

Sea Foam is wise not to have approached the FAA , that would be opening a huge liability issue.

The FAA will recognize an aircraft's Log-Book entry with the mention of having used Sea Foam to clear a discrepancy.

The way you would see it would be from a PIC Log Book entry.....

N-R8J TH 12,637.3 19.April 2010

#2 engine made a 'clacking' sound on cold start and during warm-up.

N-R8J TH 12,637.9 20,April 2010
Ran #2 engine, observed 'clacking' sound during cold start and during warm-up. Checked engine #2's general condition and TBO, found all maintenance records up to date and 643 TBO remaining. Serviced engine and Added appropriate amount of Sea Foam, requires Opps-Check. (Signed)

N-R8J TH 12,638.4 21,April 2010
Opps-Check and power run #2 engine,cold-start noted no 'Clacking' sound. Ops-Check and Power-run good. Listed 'Clacking' sound in #2 engine, in Log-Book watch list. Returned to service. (Signed)

You will not get away with the mention of any other additive that I am aware of?

Last edited:
I whipped up a mix of ATF and acetone that I use at work. I got the idea from another forum so I cant take credit for it. :cheers:

I keep and strain (coffee filters) all my used full-synthetic ATF and mix it with acetone as well for my special parts washer that's only for the real basket case parts- like needle rollers in odd sizes that have rusted or cranks with journals that have surface rust.

I used the ATF/Acetone mix one time to free a stuck engine in a Disston KB-7 motor that had been sitting for over fifty years. Not only did it free up, the pistons were salvageable with no marks whatsoever.

It's highly toxic though I really recommend those heavy, chemical resistant rubber gloves with the arm-length cuffs. I use it outside as well, since it will fill the shop with fumes after a couple hours.

Huh..... Guess I am wierd cause I think Kroil smells pretty good:dizzy:

I have never put alot of faith into MMO but I had a buddy in school whos dad had GALLONS of the stuff on his shelf and swore by it. Heck his brother used it exclusively in his winged sprint, and his truck and his mower..... well you get the point.

He might have even added a little to his SoCo!:jawdrop:

I have used MMO for years. It's a good additive to fuel on old tractors, lawnmowers, and just about anything. My old tractors were made to take leaded gas, so I add some for valve lubrication.

Latest posts

Back