Masterminded 362C -R

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug, I am very surprised. I noticed and improvement with square on both my saws, but especially the 044 (just got the 046). When cutting with my nephew (MechanicMatt) and my brother, (a 76 cc Husky and Stihl 460), I gave them loops of square so they would not be "left behind" by my 044. They have both kept the square file on their saws, and I had to buy more of it.

I think the Madsen's website is pretty accurate. They state that full chisel is about 10-15% faster than semi chisel, and square file is about 10-15% faster than round file. There must be a reason it is so popular in the PNW on the big trees. I like the performance on hardwood, but it just rips through softwood.

RSL does not have enough angle under the top plate. A properly round filed chisel will cut just as fast. My opinion its not werth the extra money. Sharpen your chain with a beveled six sided file then it takes your saw to a different level. I don't even go as aggressive on the side plate angle as RSL but the underneath of the top plate will have a better cutting angle. My .02. By the way I learned how to square file thanks to mdavlee's video. Thx Dave

Doug, I am very surprised. I noticed and improvement with square on both my saws, but especially the 044 (just got the 046). When cutting with my nephew (MechanicMatt) and my brother, (a 76 cc Husky and Stihl 460), I gave them loops of square so they would not be "left behind" by my 044. They have both kept the square file on their saws, and I had to buy more of it.

I think the Madsen's website is pretty accurate. They state that full chisel is about 10-15% faster than semi chisel, and square file is about 10-15% faster than round file. There must be a reason it is so popular in the PNW on the big trees. I like the performance on hardwood, but it just rips through softwood.

do you realize a lot of softwood is harder to cut than hardwoods when they are standing ? at least in this area .softwood does not mean the wood is soft ,just means it has needles ,and hardwoods have leaves ,hardwoods here cut real easy compared to fir in this area alder is considered a hardwood and maple ,stuff is super easy to cut in my opinion compared to a fir or hemlock ,i have never cut a live oak so i do not know how they are maybe someone can correct me ,i may be wrong ,and babbling nonsense ...........discuss

RSL does not have enough angle under the top plate. A properly round filed chisel will cut just as fast. My opinion its not werth the extra money. Sharpen your chain with a beveled six sided file then it takes your saw to a different level. I don't even go as aggressive on the side plate angle as RSL but the underneath of the top plate will have a better cutting angle. My .02. By th
e way I learned how to square file thanks
to mdavlee's video. Thx Dave
Can someone please post that video to this thread? I havent seen it. Thanks

Brian, my experience with softwoods is very limited, and has been here in NY. I did recently drop & cut several White Pine in the 25 - 30" range and Red Oak, Hard Maple and Beech on the same day. With a 24" bar on my 044 with RSLK (no skip) it cut about 1/3 faster through the White Pine than the hardwoods.

I think White Pine may be a lot softer than what you usually cut.

I did notice that the Pine chips were much stickier than the hardwood chips. They even made your clothes a mess, instead of just brushing off like the hardwood chips. Although I have cut some Hemlock & Spruce, don't have enough time with them to comment.

So I ran out the door this morning to go clear a mess of trees on a nearby trail and left whatever chain and bar was still on the saw from last weekend (albeit with a quick couple file strokes). Dammit if it didn't just cut wood right there in front of me! Might've even shaved a few seconds off my day!

And here's the kicker... It was an old RSLFK that I'd converted to round somewhere along the line. :dizzy: Shenanigans I tell ya! :laugh:

....:dizzy: Shenanigans I tell ya! :laugh:....

Shenanigans you say? What was this thread aboot, anyhoo?

I like sharp chains, they are faster than dull chains.

The end of this thread reminds me of something ol' Slammin' Sammy used to like to say 'round here... "Faster by seconds, Slower by minutes...". I never really liked ol' Slamm's attitude, or a lot of what he had to say, but some of what he was trying to get across made sense...

Well this is my perspective on the discussion at hand. We pay 300+ on porting for 30% to 40% off cut times and then we can change type of chain and gather 30% off cut times for approx. 40$ for 20" chain and a file? Im thinking it would be retarded not to ask questions and learn the chisel chain technique vs. $$$ invested vs the performance to $$$ ratio?

There's lots of speed to be had in chain but it won't stay sharp as long. I run all different kinds of chain myself. It's usually square or semi chisel. I have very little round filed chisel. I try to convert it over to square when I have time. I have to round file the chain on the mill since I can't get at it good on one side to square file it.

Back