maximum bar length....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownpot Deaton

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
if anyones else has important information on related subjects, please fell free to post,

but my question is, i have a husqvarna 2100cd with the rev limiter removed, otherwise stock with a 7 pin sprocket; what is the maximum length i can run, with in reason, in fresh hard wood(oak) full chisel 3/8's chain. if anyone feels they are presently running what feels maximum now with diferent setup, i would like to know that as well.

Jordan

If you are running long bars, use skip. 2100s will run big bars, like 42", but the only big saw here run skip, thats the way it is.

thanks for the replies. we had a 42" bar but owner took it back..was on loan...:monkey: :monkey: ..sort of...but now we dont have anything longer...and found a 50" bar and a 60" bar for bout $100 each for big husky..wanted to keep the chains full chisel so didnt have to by another roll but i guess thats not a problem now that you mention it...

does skip chain help with chip flow?

thanks for the replies. we had a 42" bar but owner took it back..was on loan...:monkey: :monkey: ..sort of...but now we dont have anything longer...and found a 50" bar and a 60" bar for bout $100 each for big husky..wanted to keep the chains full chisel so didnt have to by another roll but i guess thats not a problem now that you mention it...

Yes

Having both 50 and 60 inch bars, my 2 cents is that unless you are going to mill, the 50 inch bar is much more manageable. 60 has crossed a threshold and I will leave 72 and longer to others more ambitious.

Plus having 2 or three loops on hand for a 60 means a lot of chain sitting around. (183 drive links on mine).

Less teeth and rakers so the chips get kicked out faster than if there were twice as many teeth and rakers, I guess. I just use saws, I ain't a saw scientist.

If you have twice as many teeth, you will have twice as many chips per rotation (at least in theory). Too many chips per pass adds to the friction load of moving the chain. Before too long the chip path is plugged up, and the chain is stalled.

If you have twice as many teeth, you will have twice as many chips per rotation (at least in theory). Too many chips per pass adds to the friction load of moving the chain. Before too long the chip path is plugged up, and the chain is stalled.

Better answer than mine, you win the prize.

huh. Interesting. I am not trying to be an A-hole here, I'm just wondering about the validity of your statement. The ability to clear chips is partly due to air speed. I would think that more teeth closer together would keep the air speed between teeth closer to the actual chain speed. Even though I don't race, I have played with chains a little to make a faster chain. I have never tried using skip for a custom fast chain, If your correct, maybe I should try to make a fast chain with skip. Keeping in mind that if my chain speed is 100mph with both chains, the non skip is more cuts per second. not sure how to do a valid test for chip clearing. Another part of clearing chips is making more room under the tooth, I hate to steel this thread, and talk about fast chain theory all night, so I'll quite now, as I am no expert. Just not sure yet weather I agree with skip clearing chips better or not.

RACE SAW GUYS!, give us the scoop (I know you don't want to give away secrets, but come one give us something)

:cheers:

Cameljoe..

Yes, skip chain (1/3 less cutters, not 1/2) does aid in chip clearance. That's the main reason why it is made, I'd think. Semi skip also works, and I use it for 24-28 inch bar lengths.

Racers run high powered saws, and typically run 24 inch and shorter bars, save for unlimited hot saws on the west coast. Full comp is always the chain of choice, as it is the fastest.

With a low powered 3 cube saw, for instance, .325 chain is better, as it has less drag and requires less horsepower than 3/8th. These same saws are seldom if ever fitted with skip chain as they typically run bars of 20 inches and under. But skip does require a tad less hp to run, due to its reduced weight and drag, but will cut a bit slower having less cutters, so therein lies the rub.

A 2100 has gobs of torque, and will pull a 42 inch bar with ease, in hard or soft wood.

OK, I just read up on chains for over an hour, and everyone is right. Yes, skip does clear chips better. It don't make up for more teeth cutting per second on small wood, but On BIG wood, the area between teeth gets to full before the chips have a chance to clear. Makes sense to me now. So Full comp makes sense on 20" or smaller wood, semi for 20-30" wood, and Full skip on 30+" wood. those numbers are not written in stone, there are lots of other factors, that was just an example. I all ways thought it was mostly a HP to bar size thing, now I see that HP plays less of a roll. Mostly Just the size of the wood thing. Wrenching, building saws for 15 years.. Still learning.

:cheers:

Some kind of formula?

Is there some kind of formula that you can use based on the cc of your engine, the average diameter of the wood, and the type of wood? Just wondering or maybe I getting to scientific here. It would be nice to have a formula though.

Is there some kind of formula that you can use based on the cc of your engine, the average diameter of the wood, and the type of wood? Just wondering or maybe I getting to scientific here. It would be nice to have a formula though.

there are many formulas thrown around AS, have a look through the search function. personally, i just take what the manufacturer says in the Owners Manual, and over do it when no one is looking ;)

stk

Better answer than mine, you win the prize.

Yes, but there aren't twise as many teeth, but about 50% more.

Full skip has about 66% the teeth of full comp.

Latest posts

Back