Maybe a dumb question, but will a governer regulated saw "4 stroke"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've got a new toy. Dolmar 143 I've been cutting with it and it 4 strokes in the cut.
I'm guessing this is a good sign, but thought I ask. Can governer regulated saws "4 stroke"?

This is the same saw I mention in another post. But for those who haven't seen the pix here they are.

100_3901.jpg

100_3902.jpg

100_3903.jpg

100_3906.jpg

an educated guess

yes they will four stroke as four stroking is a result of fuel/air mixture and not the limited coil.
that said, imo, the saw should not four stroke in the cut.

someone more informed will be along shortly. where are all the dolmar guys this morning?

You could set the mixture rich enough to have it 4 stroking below rev limiter kick in point say 13,000 but it will be very rich because the same saw with a non limited ignition would otherwise have the mixture be set by ear to 4 stroke at perhaps 14,500. The ignition limiting action interferes with taking the saw up into the range where you would be able to hear the effect of mixture caused four stroking.

I have not read the information in your other post and answering only from what you wrote hear.

If your chain is dull the saw will be able to rev higher thus reaching the point of 4 stroking. The other option is your carburetor is way out of adjustment. With out seeing the chain or hearing it cut it is tough to pin point the problem.

The Sachs Dolmar 143mx is FUEL GOVERENED, Not goverened via ignition timing. Set the hi speed needle round 1 - 1 1/8 turns with a sharp chain it should flip from 4 stroking to 2 stroking with load applied. Most generally they run great at 1 turn hi speed. this saw is rated at 5kw at 8500 rpm

Scott

The Sachs Dolmar 143mx is FUEL GOVERENED, Not goverened via ignition timing. Set the hi speed needle round 1 - 1 1/8 turns with a sharp chain it should flip from 4 stroking to 2 stroking with load applied. Most generally they run great at 1 turn hi speed. this saw is rated at 5kw at 8500 rpm

Scott

With the stock ignition yes

It may have a cut off saw ignition though if the original failed.

Tweak the H screw so it "just" doesn't "4-stroke" in a big cut. If you get more than a 1/4 turn from the suggested 1 1/8, stop... and go back to the default setting until you figure out if something is wrong.

Back