McCulloch 3-10E , battery start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmax

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could get a battery pack for a" McCulloch 3-10E",
dead or alive it doesn't matter.

attachment.php

Does anyone know where I could get a battery pack for a" McCulloch 3-10E",
dead or alive it doesn't matter.

attachment.php

Is what I'm looking at all you have to work with or is there a cover for that tray? If so we can construct a multi cell pack like for an RC car and hide it under there.

Look around for a "Batteries Plus" store or something similar. They have a lot of rechargeable batteries available and should be able to come up with something workable. I dropped off an old computer battery at a store a couple of weeks ago just to get rid of it, and at the same time I was planning to leave one of my 18v DeWalt batteries to get it rebuilt; didn't even have to wait, he simply took my old battery and gave me one on the spot. (O.K. he didn't actually give it, $64 compared to $90 for new one)

I will be going back for more business in the future as any need arises.

And, I am jealous since I haven't been able to come up with any "E" saws...yet.

Mark

Maybe a cheapie Black and Decker 12v drill pak will work. I had an electric start LawnBoy once that I used an 18v drill batt on, that thing started right up!

As Mark noted Batteries Plus will be your best bet. You will also need to construct the wiring and the top cover. I will try to attach a pic of a battery pack.

Bill

I'm trying to find an original battery pack & repack the dead cells, I don't want to use the saw it's just for my collection.

Mark, I'm sure you will pick one up one day, mine came from eBay, advertised with good spark & compression but it had poor compression.(not enough to run)
The seller gave me a refund & said I could keep the saw, the rings were stuck in the groove, all fixed now.

This is what the battery pack looks like.
attachment.php

I tried the electric start today, it works very well, pressing a button to start a chainsaw is a real novelty :D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tNBmmw4PgG4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tNBmmw4PgG4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That is a great video. What did you do to get it running?

Bill
When I got it there was no compression, the piston rings were stuck in the groove, I managed to remove them & clean the piston then refit the rings.
The electrics were good just connected a battery and it started straight away.

Hats off to you. It looks great. I have one that I guy ran a piece of lamp cord from the starter to a car battery. What a spin it gave.

Bill

Battery pack for chainsaw.....

You know.......when I first started reading this thread, I thought it was a joke, I never knew that they actually had an electric starter set up on these saws......that is pretty amazing, don't know how well they ever worked, but still pretty amazing.....
I think this is a great site, with some very good people on it !

gmax

NEED INPUT!!

I'd like to see how they have the starter set up on that saw. Would it be possible to post a few pictures?

How much does the Mac 3-10E weigh? I suppose McCulloch thought......"What's a few more lbs....."

How is the 3-10E on pull starting? Is the E start required....or just a marketing item?

Thanks

Dan

gmax

NEED INPUT!!

I'd like to see how they have the starter set up on that saw. Would it be possible to post a few pictures?

How much does the Mac 3-10E weigh? I suppose McCulloch thought......"What's a few more lbs....."

How is the 3-10E on pull starting? Is the E start required....or just a marketing item?

Thanks

Dan

It weighs 15.6 lbs. powerhead only, it seems lighter than my pro mac 610,
there is what looks like an armature winding behind the flywheel.
No need to use the electric start it pull starts fine, the IPL shows the components
attachment.php

Wayne,does the saw recharge the battery pack while running,or does it have a separate charger?I want one too.
I'm still looking for a battery pack for you.

Last edited:
Wayne,does the saw recharge the battery pack while running,or does it have a separate charger?I want one too.
I'm still looking for a battery pack for you.

I'm not sure, I checked mine running with a multimeter it's not putting out any volts from the battery leads maybe someone will know for sure if it has a charging circuit.

Latest posts

Back