McCulloch 3-10E , battery start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm beginning to think you and BillG might be the only ones on this site that actually own one.I did find a small write-up about them that stated the battery was 13 volts.Looking at the IPL,the pack seems to have a total of 10 cells,at 1.2volts per cell for NiCads that's only 12 volts.That 13 volt figure leads me to believe that is the charging voltage,just as cars use ~13.5 to charge their lead-acid batteries today.Any thoughts?Any luck on the battery yet?

The windings in the flywheel are like a starter/generator, when starting the motor effect spins the flywheel, when running the flywheel becomes a generator to charge the batteries.

I have a 10 series service manual if anyone wants to know more about the system. It may be a couple of weeks before I am back in the office and have a chance to copy and scan the pages to the computer.

Mark

The windings in the flywheel are like a starter/generator, when starting the motor effect spins the flywheel, when running the flywheel becomes a generator to charge the batteries.

I have a 10 series service manual if anyone wants to know more about the system. It may be a couple of weeks before I am back in the office and have a chance to copy and scan the pages to the computer.

Mark

Thanks for the offer,looking forward to seeing it.Does this flywheel have two sets of magnets?A normal set mounted on the outside of the flywheel for the coil and an internal set for the motor/generator?

I really enjoy watching Wayne's video,how about you?

Last edited:
I only have the manual with photo's, but the flywheel actually has a coil attached (armature) that is energized through a sort of slip ring with brushes. There is a stationary coil (stator windings) as well that surrounds the armature. If you look at the illustration in Gmax's post you can see the coil attached to the flywheel.

Hopefully some of you will still be interested by the time I get back to the office and get this file put together.

Mark

I nearly bought one of these things for pennies on eBay a few years back. Looking back it would have been cool to have. I had never seen one run until today.

I'll be here,however long it takes.I can see the coil magnets in the IPL,and the armature windings are also visible.I was just wondering if there was a ring of magnets inside the flywheel.

A friend of mine buys batteries real cheap on ebay and rebuilds his packs at home and work. I thing he said he could rebuild a 18V pack for less then $10.

A friend of mine buys batteries real cheap on ebay and rebuilds his packs at home and work. I thing he said he could rebuild a 18V pack for less then $10.

That's good to know,now to find the pack itself.This worldwide appeal doesn't seem to be turning up many leads.

Mac made more electric start versions

I've wondered what the differences were between the 3-10E, 5-10E and 10-10E.Are they basically the same engine, with each higher numbered model having more features?Or are they entirely different power-wise?

In the 10 Series McCulloch saws, the 1-10, 2-10, 3-10, 10-10, LG-2 and CP55 are all listed as 55 cc; the 4-10, 5-10, 6-10, 7-10, LG-6, and CP70 are listed as 70 cc.

I have a 1-10, several 10-10's, what I believe to be a 5-10, and thanks to Modified Mark yesterday a 2-10 now. The 1-10 ia a right hand starter, one of the 10-10's has both (obviously a Frankensaw). I also have a couple of Pro Mac 55's, (57 cc) both of which are left hand start. I understand there were other variations in the 10 Series as well including a 5-10G (gear drive) and Pro Mac 60 (62 cc) and probably a lot more.

I do not understand the numbering scheme, but as I have stated elsewhere, I think at time the McCulloch marketing department just kept making new numbers to keep selling saws.

Mark

Bill,

I think you should send all those nice little yellow saws over to Dike.

Please clean them up and make sure they are running properly first though, I am a bit short of time these days.

Thanks,

Mark

If this da'' rain does not stop I will need a dike to protect them.

Bill

I forgot to add that the 2-10G left my collection last winter. It went to a good home though.

Bill

The3-10E is a strange critter. I have never seen a carb that looked anything like it. I have one with a seized up piston. The battery pack is there but it is empty. I have never looked to see if the "starter" is still around the flywheel. Will have to take a look.

The3-10E is a strange critter. I have never seen a carb that looked anything like it. I have one with a seized up piston. The battery pack is there but it is empty. I have never looked to see if the "starter" is still around the flywheel. Will have to take a look.

Does it look "flat" in the airbox?I've not familiar with this type of carb at all.No choke,but a primer button on the right.

Latest posts

Back