McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before the 'Red' invasion hits ...

Have been working on this PM850 lately. This is a 'before' shot ... no resto scheduled (yet). Was a very ugly runner when I got it and probably will continue to be. Just needed a good cleaning, a few small bits and some TLC.

Man this hacker crap sucks!

Everybody gets a verbal "Like", can't friggin' "Like" anything!!!

Joey, going to the decal guy today, if everything is good I'll email you his address.

Hope everyone is doing good, feels like a forced detox from here lately.

-Andy

Ted, what was the starter issue?

Hi Joey! How goes it today?

The starter .... Well, the shaft was ok on length and the 'fingers' were, too. Had clearance between it and the flywheel. I did an IPL check as well as checking pix online ... looked like the pawls were wrong; too much 'beef' around the screw opening. Not enough clearance for the fingers to get around and engage the pawls correctly. I swapped in a pair of 10-10 pawls from the donor pile and we're working pretty good now. :biggrin:

Here's the promised 'after' shots ...

About 12 pulls and we have a runner. Got the saw as a runner, but parts I provided from the stash were -- SDC-38A carb (traded Zama C2 to Mark H) -- correct clutch cover assembly -- full wrap -- bucking spike (recognize it, Joey?) -- correct starter pawls -- inside bar plate/shield -- misc screws.

This one has a sort of a 'rat rod' feel to it. The reed is missing from the muffler, so it's really loud. I just cleaned it up and made everything work as it should; still need to figure out why the kill switch isn't killing. I think the old 20" bar just adds to the look I was going for.

The shorter bar also gives me a chance to see for myself what Ron's said a few times .... the 80cc 10-Series saws are a blast to run with a 20" B&C.

Shop update....looks like I've got 4 82cc projects going right now. Two for me, two for a friend. Parts consumed will be many AV mounts, two cylinders, two pistons, two intake boots, three carb kits, one fuel line, and some other little things. It's the first time I've had this many 82cc saws apart at once. Enjoy......

pasuruta.jpg

guryvura.jpg

8y6erase.jpg

Man this hacker crap sucks!

Everybody gets a verbal "Like", can't friggin' "Like" anything!!!

Joey, going to the decal guy today, if everything is good I'll email you his address.

Hope everyone is doing good, feels like a forced detox from here lately.

-Andy

D36 prior to factory recall

With all the linksbucks trouble, the search function is MIA. Tried a google search, but not much other than links to e-bay parts. Anyone have any idea how many D-36 survive in the original "lubrimac" form, before they were recalled and had an oil tank added. Has anyone successfully ran one on the 10:1 mix to get the crankcase fluid to oil the bar....properly? This is the one I have now. Just wondered if you guys come across them often?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Mac D-30 (4).JPG
    Mac D-30 (4).JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Mac D-30 (5).JPG
    Mac D-30 (5).JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Mac D-30 (1).JPG
    Mac D-30 (1).JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 97
D30 lubrimac

View attachment 317315View attachment 317316
With all the linksbucks trouble, the search function is MIA. Tried a google search, but not much other than links to e-bay parts. Anyone have any idea how many D-36 survive in the original "lubrimac" form, before they were recalled and had an oil tank added. Has anyone successfully ran one on the 10:1 mix to get the crankcase fluid to oil the bar....properly? This is the one I have now. Just wondered if you guys come across them often?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have one in original cond.
Tryed 1:10 and it works! But NOT with "modern" mix oil
It only works with old stock 2 cycle oil.I think the new selfmixing oil doesnt allow that oil can separate
from the fuel .
Works as well on the 1-60 wich also is equipped with lubrimac.

Thanks

E.

Last edited:
View attachment 317315View attachment 317316

I have one in original cond.
Tryed 1:10 and it works! But NOT with "modern" mix oil
It only works with old stock 2 cycle oil.I think the new selfmixing oil doesnt allow that oil can separate
from the fuel .
Works as well on the 1-60 wich also is equipped with lubrimac.

Thanks

E.

Thanks for the post. Think I'll try a small tank of heavy mix. The saw runs good. It's a Canadian made Mac from down east. Not one I'll probably keep, just wondered how common or uncommon they were. Had no idea that soo many other models sported the same lube system.
Warped5: :cheers: for the prod to look closer at you sig. That's a ton of excellent info down there!
Lastly, got the tank fixed on the FankenMac(super 250). I'm almost 100% that the stroke is 1.5". Was testing back and forth with a 1-41. Always end up with a longer stroke on the 250. The clutch on it was a 4shoe, with the cast in nut. But ealier posts pointed that it may have come off a 600/650? I traded it out with one in .404. Just have to fix an issue with the fuel line sucking air. Carb has been rebuilt. Will post when it's up and cutting. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the post. Think I'll try a small tank of heavy mix. The saw runs good. It's a Canadian made Mac from down east. Not one I'll probably keep, just wondered how common or uncommon they were. Had no idea that soo many other models sported the same lube system.
Warped5: :cheers: for the prod to look closer at you sig. That's a ton of excellent info down there!
Lastly, got the tank fixed on the FankenMac(super 250). I'm almost 100% that the stroke is 1.5". Was testing back and forth with a 1-41. Always end up with a longer stroke on the 250. The clutch on it was a 4shoe, with the cast in nut. But ealier posts pointed that it may have come off a 600/650? I traded it out with one in .404. Just have to fix an issue with the fuel line sucking air. Carb has been rebuilt. Will post when it's up and cutting. Thanks for the help.

Unless there's a crankshaft I don't know about (and that's of course possible), then the engine must've come from a 650/660 gear drive if it has both a 1.5" stroke and a straight, threaded crankshaft set up for a threaded clutch hub. All the direct drive 1.5" stroke (87cc) McCulloch large frame saws that I know of have the tapered PTO side crankshaft that takes the keyed clutch hub with a retaining nut.

Last edited:
Site problems?

Can someone (in old people talk) tell me what has been going on with the the site the last couple of weeks? I could not log on and could not use the advanced search or view a lot of the photos that have been posted. I guess I am more of a "lurker" than poster but what gives?

Ray

Mini Mac's aren't the Devil... but their air filters are bloody expensive!
New carb kit and a air filter for $20 and she's as good as new!

Loving my Granberg sharpener as well :msp_biggrin:

009.jpg011.jpg

Latest posts

Back