McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the carburetor apart and everything looks good and there was gas in the carburetor. The fuel line and filter are both new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the saw has points, the condensor should be suspect. I've had Mac saws with good spark that wouldn't start when the plug was reinstalled. A new condensor fixed it perfectly.

The saw is electronic ignition, I was thinking a bad coil because the the one I put on the saw was removed from a parts saw that was buried underground for a couple years

If the saw won't start with the valve in then you have a weak coil or low compression. The 700's aren't that hard to pull over with the valve out. If the saw will run that way, then I'd try cutting with it and see how it pulls.

I haven't run either of the 125s in about 2 1/2 years following my shoulder injury. The black one cranked on about the 5th pull despite the old fuel. The yellow one wouldn't crank. I took the cover off to discover no air filter and an 1/8" of red oak dust. What the heck! I knew I was losing my mind but apparently I lost it over two years ago. I must have cleaned it in the field and forgot to reinstall it. :dumb2: Rinsed things off with some year old mix and she fired right up.

Now for a little McMystery that surely one of you McWizards can solve: The black one refuses to shut off. Pushing in the decomp only slows things down and creates :eek: a little tapping noise. Finally I just choked it to death. Upon attempting to restart it just rips the starter handle out of my hand as if the timing was too advanced. Repeated several times until my fingers are just dangling. It turns over fairly easy with decomp open and very slow pulls. Changed hands and got it to start with a few tries. Ran it a little and now everything is back to normal. Fires right up just like always. What gives? :confused:

Ron

I haven't run either of the 125s in about 2 1/2 years following my shoulder injury. The black one cranked on about the 5th pull despite the old fuel. The yellow one wouldn't crank. I took the cover off to discover no air filter and an 1/8" of red oak dust. What the heck! I knew I was losing my mind but apparently I lost it over two years ago. I must have cleaned it in the field and forgot to reinstall it. :dumb2: Rinsed things off with some year old mix and she fired right up.

Now for a little McMystery that surely one of you McWizards can solve: The black one refuses to shut off. Pushing in the decomp only slows things down and creates :eek: a little tapping noise. Finally I just choked it to death. Upon attempting to restart it just rips the starter handle out of my hand as if the timing was too advanced. Repeated several times until my fingers are just dangling. It turns over fairly easy with decomp open and very slow pulls. Changed hands and got it to start with a few tries. Ran it a little and now everything is back to normal. Fires right up just like always. What gives? :confused:

Ron
Good thing you caught the missing air filter!

Ron - When you use the choke to kill the engine you flood it, when you try to pull it over it is very well sealed with the liquid in the cylinder making it hard to crank over. My 77 delivered a wallop to my shoulder at the N.E. Indiana GTG July 2015 that I am only now feeling fully recovered.

An inconsistent stop switch could be a bad contact (after setting it may have oxidized a bit), broken wire that sometimes makes a connection, or a bad connection at the coil where the stop wire connects.

I did manage to get the workshop cleaned up this week, all of the cutting, grinding, welding, rust removal, painting for the snow blower really made a mess of it. I still need to get a bunch of bars and chains organized and put away again. I have one neighbor's saw that needs a look, then I will be on to the 170 welder and try my luck on the 101 kart saws again.

I've posted this before, Mike Jackson's dad Robert was an Engineer at McCulloch and had several patents awarded for his circuitry on the welder.

20161007_150924.1.jpg

Mark

Thanks, Mark. I actually thought of flooding but dismissed it when I could turn it over slowly. It looks like I am learning a little despite my leaky brain.

I spend most of my day splitting wood. Kept having this reoccurring thought that I am getting too old to be wrestling big rounds by myself and should just give of the big wood. I thought a double dose of the 125s would cure the feeling but I frittered my cutting time away with sharpening the chain, deburring the bar and fiddling with the videos. That's what I get for working until I am too tired to prep the equipment for the next go. Did it again tonight - put four saws away that aren't ready to go. Maybe 2017 will bring new, and better, habits.

Ron

Should have called me. I would have been more than happy to help you. Too much work for one person. Could have loaded up the tractor and had it do the lifting for us. If you try this again, give me a call. Like I said I am more than glad to help you out. By the way, bring the saw up and I will fix the kill switch. I owe you one for the loan of the spinner. By the way I should be in the shop most of the day tomorrow just piddling around.

Thanks, Brian. I have been sick since last Monday with that nasty stomach bug so I have been avoiding folks.

Seems the to do list keeps getting longer. I still have the PM850 you built to ship. A DE80 to ship to GA. Something to send to Iowa. And the deuce is still sitting in the backyard - both batteries are shot. Also have some 125 plans to discuss with you.

Hope to drop by soon.

Ron

Hope you feel better soon. Seams like every body you see has or has had that stomach bug. I know how you feel on the around home projects. But none of mine are very pressing, just things I want to do, not have to do right at this moment. When the weather breaks I am going to take two weeks off from the shop and do the round to it list. Not wanting to tare into the big projects during cold weather. Also right now with school out I am just enjoying some time with Lee (Azaven) sense the adoption. If you are thinking about coming up tomorrow I said in previous post that I will be in the shop all day but I just remembered I need to visit a friend who is a paraplegic for an hour or so. He needs help with something, who knows. Other than that I just plan to work in the shop. My Pro 55 quit oiling and going to tare it apart and figure it out. I think their is a air leak in the manual oil pump and causing it to suck air instead of oil. Bought a 1983 Honda CR250R yesterday. Put you on it and let you have some fun.
Brian

Happy New Years! May 2017 bring you many Macs and flatback carbs that work.

Happy New Year to you too. I have a flatback carb saw (3-10). I just wish for my pro Mac 700 to run. $175 invested for a total rebuild and it still won't run :/

If anything I can do to help let me know.

Thanks, i think I have a weak coil and maybe another problem. I have a good pro Mac 610 coil and I believe it's the same except the longer spark plug wire. I am going to put it on the saw and go from there. I may have some questions for you. I will let you know how it comes out. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back