McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Havent checked compression yet. But I will later today. The filter looks pretty bad, she will need a new one if I decide to repair it.

EDIT: Compression feels 'okay' just by turning the flywheel. I dont have a tester otherwise I would really like to try it. Maybe I'll rent one this weekend.

Havent checked compression yet. But I will later today. The filter looks pretty bad, she will need a new one if I decide to repair it.

EDIT: Compression feels 'okay' just by turning the flywheel. I dont have a tester otherwise I would really like to try it. Maybe I'll rent one this weekend.

If you have it torn down that far, I'd consider pulling it apart and checking the cylinder condition and check the ring gap to check for wear. However once you pull it apart, it can get expensive. You'll be like those bearings look pretty good but new ones would be nice. New seals. Ooh, new needles for the piston aren't not too expensive. I might as well replace rings, etc. It can get expensive fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a free saw, and I'd rather spend money on a SXL-925 than a mac 610. I already have several 60cc saws. So if I just throw it back together with 30 bucks in parts, and it runs for a year or two I wouldn't be too sad.

If you have it torn down that far, I'd consider pulling it apart and checking the cylinder condition and check the ring gap to check for wear. However once you pull it apart, it can get expensive. You'll be like those bearings look pretty good but new ones would be nice. New seals. Ooh, new needles for the piston aren't not too expensive. I might as well replace rings, etc. It can get expensive fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before I start filing I thought I should ask. I am on a bad streak with my PM800s. I now have three that will not hold the chain brake back. In times past this was simply a loosening of the rivet/pin that held on the trigger, but that doesn't seem to be the problem now. In the field I have just use some flagging tape to tie the handle back as you may have noticed in past pictures. I am thinking about filing a deeper notch in the trigger so that the spring will stay engaged. Thoughts and other remedies appreciated. Ron

Today's:

IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2018.JPG

IMG_2020.JPG

Pete - 7-10 with a full wrap, some McCulloch nuts might give $200 for that saw... On another site someone says a 6-10 is better than a 7-10 but I have my doubts. Both the 6-10 and 7-10 are 70 cc saws (4-10 and 5-10 as well for that matter).

Ron - touch up the notch with a file but go a little at a time. I have a very peppy PM55 with a NOS cylinder and piston the needed to have the latch touched up to keep the brake from tripping all the time, now it is just a little "sticky".

Don - I have seen one other SP70 with that demonstrator label:

DSC04729.1.jpg

The owner and his father were McCulloch dealers and used this as a demo/loaner saw for customers that had a saw in for repairs. They sold more than a few SP70's as a result of it.

Now for the big news....I have been "reminding" SEAM aka Stefan, aka Japansaeger for some time that I wanted to trade for a CP DX80. He came up with such a great idea I couldn't pass it up, he'd send me a saw and he'd let me know later on if I had something he needed...seemed too good to pass up. To make it easier for him I was able to have a contact from work arrange to ship the saw from Japan so all he had to do was ship it to Tokyo. I just got home from Brasil today to find this:

20170211_171340.jpg

20170211_171352.jpg

20170211_171358.jpg

20170211_171417.jpg

20170211_171552.jpg

This one will get a full detail cleaning treatment and I will have to find a very special bar to go with it. The saw is in amazing condition and I have the brake parts needed to make it whole again. I believe I now have the full compliment of 82 cc saws:

CP 80DX
SP80
SP81
SP81E with the two piece ignition
PM850
PM800 (one each Q port and non Q port with compression release)
PM805
PM850 Super
DE80
PM8200

Thanks again to Stefan and stay tuned to see this one spiffed up and ready to go.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the advice. I will go easy.

Good to see your latest addition. If you need a spare two piece ignition let me know. I have no idea if it is good or not but I have no use for it.

I may be wrong but I believe all the PM800s and later 82cc saws were Q-ports. The later ones were just drilled with a small port through the muffler bracket hole and the bolt replaced with a coarse thread DSP valve.

Ron

Hey Mark,

there two different SP81 saws (as you know). Do you have both? One has the OPL and one doesn't. Also the labels are different. I don't have access to my pics right now to give an example.

Latest posts

Back