McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How rare is the Mac 15? Local ad on CL for a running/restored one for $70.

They where Macs early answer to an affordable "homeowner" type chainsaw. They where very cheap for the time. There are always a ton of them on e bay

Quick question guys, I'm currently working on the Mac 440 I picked up last summer. I have a kit on the way for the flatback carb, but what is the answer for the fuel line? It is like 3/16" or 1/4" on the carb but only like 5/32" or 1/8" at the nipple that comes through the tank. I can't stretch the small line over the carb fitting, but the bigger line is way too big for the tank fitting.

Quick question guys, I'm currently working on the Mac 440 I picked up last summer. I have a kit on the way for the flatback carb, but what is the answer for the fuel line? It is like 3/16" or 1/4" on the carb but only like 5/32" or 1/8" at the nipple that comes through the tank. I can't stretch the small line over the carb fitting, but the bigger line is way too big for the tank fitting.
A cigarette lighter works well, (I don't smoke, I just like instant flame [emoji16]) get the smaller fuel line, slide the end of the line over a needle-nosed pliers, and very slowly warm the fuel line up, and gently pry open the pliers. Rotate the fuel line on the pliers and do this a few times until it slides over the barb on the carb.

Insert the small line into a piece of the big line...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G928F mit Tapatalk

Insert the small line into a piece of the big line...

I've tried this, it has never worked for me. Pees gas all over everything, and clamping the bigger line over the little line has always stopped the gas leak, but restricts fuel flow...

I've tried this, it has never worked for me. Pees gas all over everything, and clamping the bigger line over the little line has always stopped the gas leak, but restricts fuel flow...
cd10ba0861909d81ea5fe5c750f48225.jpg

A combination that works

Figured I'd offer this in here first to the Mac aficionados before I throw it out to the classifieds.

I have a NOS 70 cc Mac 10 series cylinder and piston with the mounting pattern for points ignition.

I also have a complete 10-10 with weak compression that I was planning to convert to the 70 cc. But I found a nice 6-10 in the mean time so don't need to undertake this project any longer.

Anyone interested in the P + C with or without the conversion saw?

2broke - The fuel lines for those McCulloch saw were molded with two different diameter ends, finding an original is the sure bet.

svk - bring your 70 cc cylinder along in April if you haven't found a home for it by then.

I decided to change the starter handle on the CP 80DX today, my fingers just couldn't take one more "forgot to reset the compression release" event. I changed the compression release as well just to make sure. I thought this one could use the fairlead on the starter so I cleaned up a different starter cover and swapped it out.

IMG_5258.JPG

I also took a few minutes to mask off the AF cover and spray some contact adhesive on the cover and the decal, give it a minute or two to set up, and while it does not look like new at least it is mostly stuck down now. The laminate cover on the decal is loose and wrinkled but there it is.

IMG_5249.JPG

Mark

Ok, so working on the 440 somemore today. I got the fuel line situation sorted out. I took the flatback apart and it was very clean inside and the diaphragms seemed workable, so I sprayed everything out with carb clean and shop airand put it back together. Now it is running suoper pig rich, like I have both mixture screws turned all the way in and its still rich kinda rich lol. Is it pulling fuel past the primer? Is the metering lever set wrong? The primer does work, thats why im giving this carb a chance. Did I waste tge $30

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Hit the wrong button. So, did I wazte the $30 I just spent on the carb kit I have on the way for this thing? The 380 I have acted tne same way before I switched it over to a tilly. (Thanks heimannm).

Thats just it, im not sure how to set the metering lever on these so I just left it alone. It runs worse than before I touched it lol

Latest posts

Back