McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mark. I'll check out web, see what I can find. I hate a saw that has a primer bulb. But it was the right price.

Things you don't want to find in the airbox of your 101 Kart Saw.

Parts of the reed cage hiding under the carb.
[photo=large]4771[/photo]

A needle bearing too.

[photo=large]4772[/photo]

Some strange pieces hanging out in the reed cage.

[photo=large]4773[/photo]

A better look at that lone needle bearing.

[photo=large]4774[/photo]

These pieces were once part of the lower cylinder liner.

[photo=large]4775[/photo]

The victim.

[photo=large]4776[/photo]

Attachments

• DSC04330.JPG
    DSC04330.JPG
    8.6 MB · Views: 21
Things you don't want to find in the airbox of your 101 Kart Saw.

Parts of the reed cage hiding under the carb.
[photo=large]4771[/photo]

A needle bearing too.

[photo=large]4772[/photo]

Some strange pieces hanging out in the reed cage.

[photo=large]4773[/photo]

A better look at that lone needle bearing.

[photo=large]4774[/photo]

These pieces were once part of the lower cylinder liner.

[photo=large]4775[/photo]

The victim.

[photo=large]4776[/photo]

Thats not good. Are you able to salvage anything from the engine - crank perhaps? I'm guessing that the bottom end is pretty bad from your pics.

Looking forward to seeing more pics as you take it apart.

Did it let go under full load?

Thats not good. Are you able to salvage anything from the engine - crank perhaps? I'm guessing that the bottom end is pretty bad from your pics.

Looking forward to seeing more pics as you take it apart.

Did it let go under full load?

The cylinder is toast, a big piece got punched out and it's out of round in that area. The crank has a bunch of dings on the bearing surface and I don't know if it can be smoothed out and saved. Crank stuffer did survive, it's a aftermarket one and pretty beefy. A stock one i'm sure would have been destroyed. Sloper intake survived too with only a little damage.

The rod let go as i was reving it up trying to set the carb. Made some cuts just before that.

[photo=large]4779[/photo][photo=large]4780[/photo][photo=large]4781[/photo][photo=large]4782[/photo][photo=large]4784[/photo][photo=large]4785[/photo]

The cylinder is toast, a big piece got punched out and it's out of round in that area. The crank has a bunch of dings on the bearing surface and I don't know if it can be smoothed out and saved. Crank stuffer did survive, it's a aftermarket one and pretty beefy. A stock one i'm sure would have been destroyed. Sloper intake survived too with only a little damage.

The rod let go as i was reving it up trying to set the carb. Made some cuts just before that.

[photo=large]4779[/photo][photo=large]4780[/photo][photo=large]4781[/photo][photo=large]4782[/photo][photo=large]4784[/photo][photo=large]4785[/photo]
Is this one of the McCulloch engines that require rod bolts stronger than grade 8 bolts?

They do recommend the use of special high strength bolts for the connecting rod, and suggest that you do not reuse them. I think Kris's failure was more a result of the rod stretching and failing as opposed to the bolts letting loose.

Compare the porting on Kris' cylinder above with a standard saw engine...

DSC02938.JPG

...or a relatively unmolested kart engine. This is also a 101 like Kris's but suffered a bit when the connecting rod slid over and turned the needle loose at high RPM.

DSC03205.JPG

Mark

I was asking questions about a Mac 3200 that had no spark. Have been told that these saws have coil issues. So I start looking for one and found one on eBay for $70 used. I don't think so. So I tore in to saw and got part number off coil and ran that on a few sites. Multiple sites told me that it was a coil for a McCulloch weed wacker. "Am I reading this right" I said to myself. That got me thinking. I got a 32cc McCulloch in a pile of weed eaters out back. Sure enough the coil was the exact match. Wow what a load of my mind.

So it runs now but only at half choke? Any ideas?

I'm a bit embarrassed. I don't have the tool to adjust. Wait. Man i worked on a bunch of saws and weed eaters today. So I might be confusing the carb adjustments. Does it have the star adjusters? Lol

I'm a bit embarrassed. I don't have the tool to adjust. Wait. Man i worked on a bunch of saws and weed eaters today. So I might be confusing the carb adjustments. Does it have the star adjusters? Lol
Think the one I worked on had some special tool to adjust it, but that was when it still had the limiters on. Super easy to pop off, and then it is just a flat head. I know that for sure.

McCulloch thread has been pretty quiet lately, here's a little bump. I have noted elsewhere that I have counted no fewer than 14 different model numbers assigned to the 10-10 saws alone and in the bunch from fwgsaw that I picked up in June was this Super 10-10 Model 600005. Very curious with the later PM style tank top and taller half wrap handle but retaining the RH starter. The IPL's that I have show it with a black top but the style agrees with the IPL.

20170830_070125.jpg

20170830_070144.jpg

20170830_070239.jpg

This one is a plain old Super 10-10 so no automatic oiler.

Mark

With Brian's help my latest 10 series experimental project is getting closer. All things considered, I decided to begin conservative and use the DE80 format with the governed carb and no intake boot. Thus I am searching for a good DE80 tank. Let me know if you know of one for sale.

Thanks in advance.

In the meantime, I hope the restored SP101B is soon complete so it can be shared here.

Ron

Latest posts

Back