McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugly Mac's

Some mad man gave me a non-working PM610 when I was up in Wisconsin for Grandpatractors GTG in March '09. Well, it took very little to get it working but it really didn't fit in with my collection so I passed it along to my older son Jeff.

I decided in the course of events to try and get the whole 600 Series together and just let Jeff store them for me, provided he starts and runs them once in a while and brings them along to help whenever we have a chance to cut some wood.

Here is what I have assembled so far L-R 605, Eager Beaver, Timber Bear, 610. The Titan 57 snuck in the end of the line some how so I guess I need to find a Titan 70 to go along with it. May have to let the younger son Josh store a few saws for me as well, I seem to be running out of room.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Of the lot, the 650 from Seth has the most pep, actually fun to run if you don't have a lot of overhead cutting to do. The Timber Bear hasn't been in the wood yet, and took the most effort to get back into running condition. Sadly, I left the starter housing soaking the the parts washer too long and the original decal came off. Since the housing had issues of its own I simply replaced it with a black one I had on hand.

Now I still need to find a 650, 655, and a Silver Eagle...

Mark

Last edited:
i think i just picked up a 33b im not sure,
on top it has a plunger and a little lever.... on the front gear drive case it has another plunger:confused:

is this thing valuable?

Last edited:
on top it has a plunger and a little lever.... on the front gear drive case it has another plunger:confused:

is this thing valuable?

By "valueable" do mean "will it bring tons of cash?"....................then no. McCulloch made a poopload of them over many years, because they were a great saw. It IS collectable, and worth keeping and/or restoring however.

The plunger that goes to the gearcase is for the manual oiler. The other plunger button is the primer pump. Those saws (and many other McCullochs) don't have a choke, so you need to give 'er a few squirts with the primer before starting when cold. One 'lever' (at the rear of the saw) is the kill switch. The other (next to the primer pluger) adjusts fuel mixture. McCulloch put 'on the fly' mixture adjustment on a few saws back then.....such as the 33/35/39 family and my 77.

The 33/35/39 family is all related. It was intended as a general purpose saw. McCulloch also made auger, brush-cutter, demo saw, and other attachments for it. Because of the deep gear reduction, that little 55 or so cc engine (can't remember the exact displacement right now) was able to pull a 25" bar of 7/16" or 1/2" chain pretty well. They'll cut anything..........just not very fast. Lots of interesting engineering in there. I like my Mac35A.

Last edited:

is this thing valuable?

it runs now, and has the original bar and chain! it looks like it hasn't been ran much by the looks of the sprocket

it runs now, and has the original bar and chain! it looks like it hasn't been ran much by the looks of the sprocket

Congratulations on the acquisition of your first "lunch box" saw. Well don't forget to oil the chain while you are cutting! 1/2" chain tends to be a bit more difficult (& pricey) to find. When you are accustomed to running a saw with an automatic oiler, you just might have to remind yourself to push down on that button on the gear case once in awhile. ;)

Have you seen the IPL for that saw? :dizzy: They sure don't make them like that anymore! If you like, PM me your e address & I'll send a copy to you.

the lunch box is a power house---I cut down a mulberry tree still green---I was riping a log from it about 18in long and 20in around---I dogged the spikes in and lifted the log off the ground trying to bog the saw down---It didn't work the saw didn't even slow a bit it just kept cutting---What size bar and chain do you have on it

the lunch box is a power house---I cut down a mulberry tree still green---I was riping a log from it about 18in long and 20in around---I dogged the spikes in and lifted the log off the ground trying to bog the saw down---It didn't work the saw didn't even slow a bit it just kept cutting---What size bar and chain do you have on it

it has the 20 inch mcculloch fortified tip bar and 1/2'' pitch mcculloch chain...
it runs great

Well guys I a pretty good Mac bug here lately. I came across a Pro Mac 10-10 for a good price and it really suprised me. So I picked up a old 10-10 and and another newer 10-10.

This past weekend I went to a fleamarket and picked up a Pro Mac 700 and really like this one too.

Now I'm on the hunt for a good running 800,850 and the 125. (FAT chance I know)

Having held and ran a 3-25, I never really considered it as a climbing saw :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
Men were made of much better stock back then. I often see people on this site arguing that such and such a saw is no good because it weighs a pound more than a competitors saw. Maybe if they limbed with a 3-25 for awhile, they would be a little more open minded :laugh:

b27376.jpg

I'll play, too!!!

attachment.php

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WLvbfLlunXo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WLvbfLlunXo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Enjoy Mark. Couple more weeks and it's full bore saw season here. I plan to enjoy mine more. Been ignoring the saws a lot lately.

I recently acquired a "Le Sabre" which is in effect a direct drive version of the 33/35 Series saws.

Have you ever seen any other saw with the bar mounted on the far left hand side?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark
Those D-33 Le Sabre's are the rarest member of the lunch box family. I've yet to see an owner's manual or an IPL for one, let alone see one in person. Probably the only thing harder to find in the bunch would be a D-33 with the full wrap handlebar. Nice find Mark. I look forward to the forth coming tutorial! :)

Here are 3 saws with LH mounted bars:

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...6a979df3d36363fa88256afb00241fce?OpenDocument

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...06ed90b98bd5682c88256cde000e8d8b?OpenDocument

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...a14e639bd24ea77c88256bf6000434dd?OpenDocument

Latest posts

Back