McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can clean the varnish up with a 50/50 or so mix of purple power cleaner from wall-mart

It was a good 19 or so years ago, and the carb and tank are long gone. Purple Power, and the other strong non-petroleum solvents weren't around yet. Only had simple green, and various petroleum based solvents to work with. That varnish was hard as a rock. Looked like dried polyester resin. Never seen old-gas varnish like it before or since. Couldn't even get the carb apart after the screws came out. Didn't want to pry on the plastic Zama carb parts. Soaked the carb and tank in various solvents. When the varnish finaly started to soften, the plastic parts of the carb warped. The plastic tank died as well...

It was a good 19 or so years ago, and the carb and tank are long gone. Purple Power, and the other strong non-petroleum solvents weren't around yet. Only had simple green, and various petroleum based solvents to work with. That varnish was hard as a rock. Looked like dried polyester resin. Never seen old-gas varnish like it before or since. Couldn't even get the carb apart after the screws came out. Didn't want to pry on the plastic Zama carb parts. Soaked the carb and tank in various solvents. When the varnish finaly started to soften, the plastic parts of the carb warped. The plastic tank died as well...

I apologise for trying to help---I didn't know how long ago it wase you had that problem---I just had a smiler problem with a saw---The fuel lines wear even dissolved into a hard but sticky mess that I couldn't even scrape off with a scraper---I tried everything I could think of---Long to short the saw now runs perfect and I didn't by any parts not even a filter or carb kit

I apologise for trying to help---I didn't know how long ago it wase you had that problem---I just had a smiler problem with a saw---The fuel lines wear even dissolved into a hard but sticky mess that I couldn't even scrape off with a scraper---I tried everything I could think of---Long to short the saw now runs perfect and I didn't by any parts not even a filter or carb kit

No worries Don. Wasn't trying to snap at you. Glad the stuff worked for you. I'll try some next time I dig into a varnished carb. May be tomorrow....:cheers:

No worries Don. Wasn't trying to snap at you. Glad the stuff worked for you. I'll try some next time I dig into a varnished carb. May be tomorrow....:cheers:

Its alright---I hate varnish---is it good for anything I got 2 saws in a row with it in them---I hope never again---what is the saw in youre avatar---my bad varnish saw is a c52

I just used the purple power on a carb that has bean siting for 28 years I'm told and it had that goo in it and the diofram wase hard and stiff---now the carb looks like new and the diofram went to another carb on my titan now it runs great---the stuff works and you probably don't even knead a 50/50 mix probably just a 30/70 will do

I'd like to get an old Mac to run as a firewood saw. The bloke next door has about 100 old saws and there's about 80+ McCullochs. I may be able to trade him for one.

If you guys were going to get an old points ignition McCulloch to use as your firewood saw, which one would you want?

Once I have an idea about the prefered models of the saw, I'll see what he has that can be restored.

Terry which motor family are you interested in? the standard 250 type or one of the 10 series? A top tank direct drive in the 6 cube range would be good, some had auto oilers.

Got to cut a few cookies on a 15" log with the S44A, I was very suprised to say the least. Runs great, just a challenge to start by myself right now. lol.

i'd like to get an old mac to run as a firewood saw. The bloke next door has about 100 old saws and there's about 80+ mccullochs. I may be able to trade him for one.

If you guys were going to get an old points ignition mcculloch to use as your firewood saw, which one would you want?

Once i have an idea about the prefered models of the saw, i'll see what he has that can be restored.

99...............................................Just kidding. ;) It would be a cool saw to own. :cheers:

What do you use to insert piston and rings in a 10-10?

Guys, I need help. I thought I could do this by hand but I can't. I'm not sure either of the two types of ring compressors Bailey's sells will work on a MAC. Before I take on my 82cc MAC build, I'm practicing on a 10-10 but I didn't get too far. Thanks, Ron

Guys, I need help. I thought I could do this by hand but I can't. I'm not sure either of the two types of ring compressors Bailey's sells will work on a MAC. Before I take on my 82cc MAC build, I'm practicing on a 10-10 but I didn't get too far. Thanks, Ron

I've made 'custom' ring compressors for little engines out of scrap brass, aluminum (usualy beer cans) and strips cut from 2-liter plastic soda jugs. Adapt and overcome my friend! Just cut a strip and bend the 'ends' out a bit so you can clamp them with your fingers, pliers, a screw/nut/washers contraption, or whatever.

With the 'unit-block' style engines such as most old Macs, I have even eased the piston into the bore to where the ring just contacts the cylinder skirt, then 'compressed' the ring with a few wood dowels, toothbrush handles, or similar implements. I have fat, stubby fingers and broad hands, so getting these engines together without breaking a ring is sometimes quite a challenge. Make sure to let us know what you end up using (and post pics).:cheers:

Last edited:
Randy, I don't know one series of Macs from the next. That's why I'm asking you guys. I just want a reliable firewood saw that I could pick up parts for relatively easy. Perhaps a common model that 'everyone had' and was known for its reliability.

6 cube? Crikey, I just want a firewood saw for the house, I don't even know if my back would allow me to pick up a saw that big. (sure would be a hoot for buckin' up some of the big logs I now pass by) I thought something around the 60-70cc range.

A 103cc 790 and 80cc 250, the big one is a bit heavier. Roland suggested the larger 10 series, your best bet.
790003.jpg

790005.jpg

mc250006.jpg

mc250001.jpg

Latest posts

Back