McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R0V4SSWr_uk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R0V4SSWr_uk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

McCulloch McCulloch Super Pro 81 or 850

Hello,

I have the opportunity to pickup either a McCulloch 850 or a McCulloch Super Pro 81.

I have a 850 and it is a great saw but I have never ran a McCulloch Super Pro 81.

So what do you guys think which saw do you prefer?

Also someone said they might know where I can find a tip for a McCulloch 32" .404 roller bar as mine broke. If not I'm going to have to engineer a bar as I need the 890 back in action. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I have the opportunity to pickup either a McCulloch 850 or a McCulloch Super Pro 81.

I have a 850 and it is a great saw but I have never ran a McCulloch Super Pro 81.

Also someone said they might know where I can find a tip for a McCulloch 32" .404 roller bar as mine broke. If not I'm going to have to engineer a bar as I need the 890 back in action. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Both the 850 and the 81 are nice saws.
The 81 is the older of the two with minor
differences. They both share the same size
motor. I'm sure there others that are more
familiar with them than i.

Lee

Hello,

Get them both!

:cheers:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R0V4SSWr_uk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R0V4SSWr_uk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I would love to own either the 090 or the 125 but if I was running that 090 it could have very well been a different outcome. (The operator of the 090 in the video was'nt too impressive IMO)

I would love to own either the 090 or the 125 but if I was running that 090 it could have very well been a different outcome. (The operator of the 090 in the video was'nt too impressive IMO)

Now, Now - this is a McCulloch thread! You have to give credit where credit is due! LOL

Regards,

Chris.

Wish I could but I can only afford one at present.

BTW.. It will be used as a milling saw.

I think i would go for the 850. Have you had a chance to try both? That may be the best way to decide. Fire both up and cut a couple cookies.

I may be interested in the left over depending on how much it would go for.

:chainsaw:

Both Saws

I wish I had the opportunity to run them both the winning saw is going to be shipped across the country....

They person I am buying t form says the 81 is in better shape so I think I'm going to buy that one. I already have a 850 that runs good.

I think i would go for the 850. Have you had a chance to try both? That may be the best way to decide. Fire both up and cut a couple cookies.

I may be interested in the left over depending on how much it would go for.

:chainsaw:

I wish I had the opportunity to run them both the winning saw is going to be shipped across the country....

They person I am buying t form says the 81 is in better shape so I think I'm going to buy that one. I already have a 850 that runs good.

Then you should have a good handle on them. I hope which ever one you take it works out great for you.

Early congratulations! Enjoy the saw!

I just converted a PM850 to a SP81 recently. Both models are nearly identical except for ignition, manual oiler and cosmetics.
The PM850 has electronic ignition against the 81 having points, but that's not a real disadvantage. I'd take the one with the best compression (P/C condition) if you can check it.

Big-dawg 890SP (you know, with the SP125 motor). Got these spikes yesterday. They sure prop the saw up for starting and keep the chain out of the dirt, not that I've tried to start it as shown in the picture. When idling they the lower spikes turn into little chisel plows and dig 2 holes pretty fast.

Chris B.

attachment.php

Big-dawg 890SP (you know, with the SP125 motor). Got these spikes yesterday. They sure prop the saw up for starting and keep the chain out of the dirt, not that I've tried to start it as shown in the picture. When idling they the lower spikes turn into little chisel plows and dig 2 holes pretty fast.

Chris B.

attachment.php

Nice picture and super saw!!

:cheers:

That's realy cool. Great pic Chris. I love the look of a long, blued bar that's been worn a bit, especialy on a big, mean old saw. Those bottom spikes would be just the thing when starting a beast like that while standing on a downed 12'+ Redwood. They'd make things a bit more steady while pulling the beast over. Corks for your saw...

wonder how my first mac 120 will look with a set of spikes like that, heh heh..
this is my first of these and i was wondering if there should be a regular fuel line/filter in the tank like most set ups. couldn't find one so gassed it up anyway and it started after many pulls , learning the controls and limbering up the diaphrams(luckily working so far). that throttle lock/idle adj button thing was a surprise.
any other idiosyncrasies of these i should be warned about ?

attachment.php

came across this pic of bob mcculloch, dad to 8 (so far) of my saws !

That's a fantastic pic of Robert McCulloch and the two extremes of his saws (5-49 and Mini-Mac 6). I'd love to read that magazine. You'd never get it back though...:chainsaw:

I've never worked on or with an original Mini-Mac 6. I have worked on a 110. Simply aweful. They handle and perform well when they're running right. If you have to get to the carb, fuel lines, and tank, then that's another story.....:dizzy:

As Mark said......there's a felt filter pressed into the tank on your saw. On my 110 (which is many years newer, and more cheaply built), the felt filter was a permenant part of the plastic tank assembly........and was gummed solid with the most wicked fuel varnish I'd ever seen, as was the crappy mostly-plastic zama carb. I was unable to un-varnish either assembly without destroying them. Now the saw (99% new, including the P/C and B/C.............but with no carb or tank as I threw them away and replacements are more than the cost of a new saw) sits disassembled in a box somewhere in deep within my cluttered garage...

Last edited:
That's a fantastic pic of Robert McCulloch and the two extremes of his saws (5-49 and Mini-Mac 6). I'd love to read that magazine. You'd never get it back though...:chainsaw:

I've never worked on or with an original Mini-Mac 6. I have worked on a 110. Simply aweful. They handle and perform well when they're running right. If you have to get to the carb, fuel lines, and tank, then that's another story.....:dizzy:

As Mark said......there's a felt filter pressed into the tank on your saw. On my 110 (which is many years newer, and more cheaply built), the felt filter was a permenant part of the plastic tank assembly........and was gummed solid with the most wicked fuel varnish I'd ever seen, as was the crappy mostly-plastic zama carb. I was unable to un-varnish either assembly without destroying them. Now the saw (99% new, including the P/C and B/C.............but with no carb or tank as I threw them away and replacements are more than the cost of a new saw) sits disassembled in a box somewhere in deep within my cluttered garage...

you can clean the varnish up with a 50/50 or so mix of purple power cleaner from wall-mart

Back