McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG][quote="maves75, post: 2690984"]Hi everybody. Dad used McCulloch, as did my Grandpa, so they are my favorites. I only have two left today, my 5-49, and 3-25. I have kept them because I feel like they are just a good pair that represent the McCulloch state of the art of their times. The 3-25 last made chips with me at the throttle five years ago. I really liked running this saw. I have long thought I could handle a saw, having used an 026 while climbing or from a bucket, and I even took an 084 up in the bucket with me once, but the 3-25 is a good heavy brute in it's own right. I really like these old ones. Hell, I have a 1958 refrigerator I am still using..LOL! Does anyone else really like their 3-25, or 5-49? I feel like they are benchmarks for McCulloch.[/QUOTE]

welcome Montana, a lot of the guys here (mac thread) have an old bruiser or two in the garage, mine is a M-47, made in 54 or 55, and it is a hand-me-down from my grandfather also. I'll keep it just so I can hand it off to my son. Many years from now, I ho[IMG]http:// DSCN0844.jpgpe.

Last edited:
Mac question!

Does a 125 cylinder fit (somewhat easy) into a 895?

Seams a easy way to ramp up the cc's with out fighting for a 101B block.

From the fitment I have done(nothing technical) seems that the 101B is going to be straight forward. Well still need a a handful of gaskets and rings. Or a 101 piston .050

Mac question!

Does a 125 cylinder fit (somewhat easy) into a 895?

Seams a easy way to ramp up the cc's with out fighting for a 101B block.

From the fitment I have done(nothing technical) seems that the 101B is going to be straight forward. Well still need a a handful of gaskets and rings. Or a 101 piston .050

I don't see a problem with it Matt.
As long as the 895 fuel tank will bolt on with the reads.
You will need the two bottom bolt holes for the lower brace.
The decomp will be the push it type so you may want to
drill a hole in the flip down cylinder cover. You will need to use
the 125 coil as it is a 2 leg type.
Everything on the drive side should go on the 895 gearcase.
I'd give it a try.

Lee

Sp125 -> 895

I am fairly certain cbfarmall documented a project like that, may have been just last year.

Try searching a little and you should be able to come up with the thread. I seem to recall he had to do something creative in the intake as the ports on the blocks are quite different between the two since the SP125 does not have the "third port" feature.

Don't worry abou that compression release, just grit your teeth and pull like you mean it...

Mark

Found a 8200 the other day with the bar moount area broken out. Can a person swap out teh front half of the case and fix it? The saw looks in good shape
Bob

Bob, I don't have first hand experience but I expect you will have trouble finding parts that swap 1 for 1 unless you can come up with another 8200. Even then the clam shells were machined as a unit and it may not be a perfect fit if you swap the bottom end of the crank case.

Looking at the IPL's in my posession I don't see any other model with the same part number for the crank case. It it interesting to see that some of the other items like the bearings are the same part number as those used in saws that were built almost 30 years earlier.

May be time for some JB weld on that broken out spot...

Mark

Good call Mark!
Got it!
Looks to be a bit over my Mech. ability! I am going to need help!
I will be coming back with tech questions, as I am still at the point, fuel in, spark, compression cut!

I am fairly certain cbfarmall documented a project like that, may have been just last year.

Try searching a little and you should be able to come up with the thread. I seem to recall he had to do something creative in the intake as the ports on the blocks are quite different between the two since the SP125 does not have the "third port" feature.

Don't worry abou that compression release, just grit your teeth and pull like you mean it...

Mark

Hey guys, I posted this in the Swap Meet, to no avail. Figured you guys would be more interested. This stuff is up for trade, will trade for other saws or cool projects.

Doesn't have to be Mac stuff, let me know if you're interested.

Got a 10-10 in running condition up for trade 150psi compression, pulls strong. Clean.

Also have a 10-10a that will be a runner with some work, has electronic ignition module, as well as points ignition. Clean.

Mac PM55 in a box, haven't gotten around to putting it together. Should be a runner. Have most of the major parts, but might needs some small stuff.

Skil 1644 Type 3 that needs some carb work.

Mac 1-43, cool saw, similar to a 250. Would trade that also for the right saw.

CT

I just found a Pro Mac 700 that has been rebuilt for $125.00. Is that a good deal? This guy has a bunch of saws I am interested in, he's an old timer that used to be a Mac dealer, then Echo now Dolmar. The guy is in his mid 70's still has his shop out in the middle of nowhere.

jimdad07 - If the PM700 is in great shape, $125 would be a good deal if you needed a 70 cc saw.

On the other hand, I picked up a running one for $40 that only needed some minor repairs and a good chain.

Chris - maybe you'd like to swap the "PM55 in a box" for a few D-36 parts and some cash?

Mark

jimdad07 - If the PM700 is in great shape, $125 would be a good deal if you needed a 70 cc saw.

On the other hand, I picked up a running one for $40 that only needed some minor repairs and a good chain.

Chris - maybe you'd like to swap the "PM55 in a box" for a few D-36 parts and some cash?

Mark

Thank yo sir. Don't know much about Macs yet, but I like just about all saws.

Mark

Thank yo sir. Don't know much about Macs yet, but I like just about all saws.

Mark, I'll have to get back to you on that soon.

As far as the PM700 goes, in my opinion, if you are into buying saws at retail I think you would be hard pressed to find a saw with that much power for $125 anywhere.

If it's in good conidtion and you have a use and a desire for it, why not. You might be able to find a fixer upper for peanuts down the line though.

In short, I really like my PM700. Spent a day cutting with it last weekend, great saw to run, loud as heck, not short on power. Pulls the 20" no problem.

CT

Mark, I'll have to get back to you on that soon.

As far as the PM700 goes, in my opinion, if you are into buying saws at retail I think you would be hard pressed to find a saw with that much power for $125 anywhere.

If it's in good conidtion and you have a use and a desire for it, why not. You might be able to find a fixer upper for peanuts down the line though.

In short, I really like my PM700. Spent a day cutting with it last weekend, great saw to run, loud as heck, not short on power. Pulls the 20" no problem.

CT

I just like the bigger saws of any brand. I have a couple of Stihls in the 70cc class but I am not a brand whore, I might even sell my 045av to try raise enough to get the saw. He also had what he said to be the last model of the ProMac 800 on his shelf for I think $250.00, it looks to be brand new. Don't quote me on the price.

I wont be bidding, mine's running strong. I think iv'e got five or so in the 87cc class. Cut firewood just yesterday with the old one-53, it ran like a top.:chainsawguy:

I was going to bid, but circumstances have changed. I won the SP125 last night, woohoo! It's OK, I already have a Super 250, and 3 other 87cc Macs...

Bob, I don't have first hand experience but I expect you will have trouble finding parts that swap 1 for 1 unless you can come up with another 8200. Even then the clam shells were machined as a unit and it may not be a perfect fit if you swap the bottom end of the crank case.

Looking at the IPL's in my posession I don't see any other model with the same part number for the crank case. It it interesting to see that some of the other items like the bearings are the same part number as those used in saws that were built almost 30 years earlier.

May be time for some JB weld on that broken out spot...

Mark

I think I will have another look at it next week. The whole area where the studs are is broke. I hope all the pieces such as the clutch cover and oil res cover are still there. I got a good friend who is a welding instructor at a Tech college. Might pick her head as to if she can weld the side back together. After that would be done I was thinking of a steel plate the bar studs would be mounted too inside the tank to reinforce it.
Mark can you email teh IPL for it?
Thanks
Bob

Mac ID help needed

Hello fellow mac heads. I need a little help ID'ing this saw. I've not seen it and only have two pics to go by. Apparently the model number is not on the bottom of the crankcase.
mysterymac2.jpg

mysterymac1.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

Now Jim, did you lift those photo's from another source?

Mark

Whatever are you talking about??:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
I just want to be an informed buyer. Thanks for the quick response. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has seen these pics. ;)
Jim

Latest posts

Back