McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Ric. Here there are no real jobs like that anymore. No mills, no logging crews that will hire a greenhorn, trucking you have to have experience. blah blah blah. But all I wanted to do was get outta school, now I wanna go back to further my edumacation and be smert!
Now, back to Macucullucks. :)

Ha Ha, smart enuf to grab cold steel in the morning and run like he((. Where at?

when I was 17 worked local east of seattle, cutting skidding and loading.

Hit 18 and hired on at Simpson Timber, Shelton. Olympic national forest.

Set chokers under the towers and then hopped on the iron pretty fast, skidder, yarder and shovel.

then back up here to run skidder for a few more years.

when I was 17 worked local east of seattle, cutting skidding and loading.

Hit 18 and hired on at Simpson Timber, Shelton. Olympic national forest.

Set chokers under the towers and then hopped on the iron pretty fast, skidder, yarder and shovel.

then back up here to run skidder for a few more years.

My dad handed me his Stihl 290 at 14 I started topping trees. Then started hooking logs, now im up to falling, working on saws and bucking lol.

Well Ric. Here there are no real jobs like that anymore. No mills, no logging crews that will hire a greenhorn, trucking you have to have experience. blah blah blah. But all I wanted to do was get outta school, now I wanna go back to further my edumacation and be smert!
Now, back to Macucullucks. :)

was watching TV last nite and see we have a big boom in timber export.

Headed to china and Japan to rebuild after the sunami..

good to see the trucks rolling again.:rock:

and here's some McPartners for ya :D

CIMG5399.jpg

CIMG5398.jpg

CIMG5397.jpg

Last edited:
I heard the penninsula was a good area for work back in the day. we heard a lot of stories from out of Forks Wa. Big ass hemlock and cedars, and high-ball'n gypo outfits. Mom and pop shake mills up and down the 101. A guy could always find some kind of work.

I heard the penninsula was a good area for work back in the day. we heard a lot of stories from out of Forks Wa. Big ass hemlock and cedars, and high-ball'n gypo outfits. Mom and pop shake mills up and down the 101. A guy could always find some kind of work.

That entire area was supported by Timber or fishing from Aberdeen to Port Angeles.

There is still plenty of logging going on but not like the heyday's
of the 60's and 70's.

My freind Bill Pellham that has the V8 saws was working in P A
not too long ago for an outfit that got on that axeman show.

High Ballers :rock::rock: Go ahead on er, toot toot toot..:D

That's a fact. Lived west of PA for a few years. Timber crash of the early 80's drove me over to the Seattle area.Guys could literally stand by the side of 101 with their hard hat and corks and get picked by a crummy if they were short handed that day.

No cell phone camera's or digital camera back then. We pulled out some awesome three log loads on weyerhauser land above camp 12. Then 1980, the mountain blew and the spotted owl contraversy pretty much crippled the industry. Most of the guys I knew moved into the construction industry.

Mike's site has listed:AC CS45T, Champion RDJ6.
The problem is that the DJ6J is a colder plug than the AC CS45TS.
The champion equivelent to the AC 45 heat range would be a DJ8J. You could always split the difference with a DJ7J.

Problem is Champion doesn't make those plugs anymore.

All you can get now are these "EZ Start" ones.

Yeah, I see your point, them are tough years, age 19 to about 25. Lots of learning HAS to sink in. Sorry Kyle, but you've got a ways to go.

I admit I do have lots to learn... it's a fact of life that even as old (no offense) and wise as one may become, they will still learn something. I learned lots of stuff working this job already. Some little tricks of the trade like using a heavy alignment punch to hold a brake rotor and hub still so you can torque the axle nut to specs. (175 ft-lbs on this Tundra we were working on...:dizzy:)

I love learning something that really helps me in the long run. Sometimes I still don't learn from past mistakes, and some of you may have noticed that. Some things just need to be seen more than once to register as 'learnt' in the brain. Not all people are that way about all things, but I know I am about some things... such as overposting and using too many smilies and God knows what else. Live life, and learn... :cheers:

To Macs... the 790 is awaiting on a piston, bore job, and parts saw (thanks CPR! My paycheck is in, so you'll get a small amount of it. :cheers:)

Ah, like I said, I plan on having the body shop dude paint this baby up good, say two coats of color and two of clear. That would make her shine!! :popcorn:

Hey, I found a hand grip for my PM700.

How is it held in place? I was expecting it to snap up in there but there is no sign of any mechanism to hold it in place.

Hey, I found a hand grip for my PM700.

How is it held in place? I was expecting it to snap up in there but there is no sign of any mechanism to hold it in place.

I don't have a IPL nor have I looked at my PM700 in a while but there should be a screw that bolts the strap to the handle. This screw also holds the insert in place. Ron

Hard day. Didn't make it to the graveyard Kyle. I'll try for next week.

Hauled out 5 examples tonight for a fix of growlin' that I hoped to share, but Macs bein' Macs, they didn't cooperate. They ARE mild-mannered if you run them frequently, but it's been a couple yanks of the calendar since a threat of a warrant has been issued.

The Super 44 balked for about 100 pulls plus a prime before agreeing to acquiesce to my urgings and crackle away. The 1-72 behaved, it usually does, and purred after a dozen or so yanks, no prime. The 1-82, coldest of the cold blooded beeyotch that it is rewarded my saturated brow with 2 teasing pops...

I turned to the Super 250. As always, it was willing to roar, but not idle in this hawt, hoomyd, weather.

The Super 797 behaved itself, too. Always has. I reckon when you are that bad-ass, you have no need for drama-laced histrionics... think Chris Spielman with smeared eye-black.

Back to the now mix-belching 1-82. Alas, it lights up, if only to demonstrate to my watchful eye that the muffler is loose. A thumb-induced silence sends it to the bench for torqued rigidity.

No vid, gang, too pooped to continue the struggle. Maybe next time I have the urge, the 2 kart monsters will be ready to join in and the ole' pychnometer will register a more MacPNW friendly reading...

Last edited:
Well jeff, I'm too damn tired to keep looking. I've spent about two days (as in 48 hours) looking for that post. I've looked through all of the pages of this thread, and of every 610 thread I found.

It's a major pita since the search function is down, and for some reason, there are no posts in the 'find all posts' feature that goes past 2 months old, and the google search trick didn't turn anything up either. You ####ing stumped me on this one...

when I get some mini macs, they might show up on your porch...

I'm okay with keeping my shop monkey status for now. Promotion(s) will come.

For now, I'm just gonna look forward to getting the 790 engine built, set aside, and the tins/airbox lid/fuel tank sandblasted, painted, and clear coated. In the end, by golly, I'll have 6 cubes!!!! The search for a roller nose will start soon... I am in the market for a decent shape 48" or so roller nose, a little smaller or bigger is okay with me. Something else I'll need if the parts saw doesn't come with it is a .404 pitch sprocket/rim assembly.

If I have to, I'll find a machining shop to make a small run of drums that can take the Oregon/Stihl spline type rims. That would be the cat's ass for cookie cutting since timberwolf makes custom size rims... so a shortened and modified 16" bar and 11 pin wouldn't be out of the question on a 790/5/7 running some .404 chain...

if anyone is interested in hearing the quote and/or are willing to jump in headfirst with wanting to buy a few drums, holler with how many you want. I know quantity is the way to make it cheaper. The more we order, the better. I am going to stop by some shops soon to get quotes, a few of them are very close to me, so that's a bonus.

If interested, post either here or in the thread that I may later make for this run, given enough Mac heads here are interested in such a deal. I will then start scribbling down the numbers and we'll go from there. There is about a one month (3-5 week) window to holler. Later requests are not guaranteed to be filled. I will state in a post here with the quote(s) and numbers. If I receive confirmation in later post from a fair amount the members that want to purchase their order of drums, I will make the order for a run. I am going to say a minimum of two drums per member, remember, you could sell one on feebay and you might cash in on it. Some will want more, and that's only a better deal for us all.

I did a lot of sweeping today... boss's daughter's graduation party is tomorrow, so shop needs to be fairly clean in case rain swings by to crash the party and make it an indoor type. Feel free to keep calling me shop monkey. Also did wheel bearings on one of those portable mini cement mixers... dust cap disappeared, crap got in, bearing fricking grenaded.

Ah, my wallet feels a bit heavy... :rock:

Latest posts

Back