McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of you may recall the PM6 I was redoing for my Old Man for XMAS....

Installed NOS rings, seals and bearings...

New oil tank gasket...

New manual and automatic oiler pump gaskets...

Rebuilt carb...

Muffler mod (axed spark arrester:hmm3grin2orange:) + gloss black high temp...

New ignition...

New starter cord...

New air filter...

Sandblasted and painted w/NAPA two stage.

View attachment 269725
269725d1356545269-pm6-1-jpg

View attachment 269726
269726d1356545274-pm6-2-jpg

View attachment 269728
269728d1356545284-pm6-4-jpg

View attachment 269729
269729d1356545289-pm6-5-jpg

More coming....

Last edited:
Figured what the heck, I'll throw in a "chip"...might as well try it right?

Cut the lead to the points box, splice in ignition switch, heat shrink butt connector...

269730d1356546239-pm6-3-jpg

View attachment 269730

Installed in air box, probably the biggest issue was finding a place for it without drilling through the body of the saw...if it were for me, I would probably attach between cylinder and bottom plate with a new bolt hole.

269731d1356546243-pm6-ing-1-jpg

View attachment 269731

I did silicone the grommet after this photo, as the opening was after the filter. I also grounded the chip to the same post as the coil ground by the carb vs. grounding to the mounting screw as indicated in the directions.

269732d1356546249-pm6-ing-2-jpg

View attachment 269732

YES! SPARK!!!

More....

Last edited:
I guess I failed to mention the new decals, which cost more than a new saw (NOS, of course)!

269745d1356547510-pm6-done-5-jpg

View attachment 269745

269746d1356547517-pm6-done-6-jpg

View attachment 269746

269747d1356547522-pm6-done-7-jpg

View attachment 269747

Couldn't manage to come up with a NOS grey, two tone "Mac 6" bar...will probably end up with the usual black/yellow variety.

Saw runs great, as if new, but not any "better" with the chip.

I know, I know, the saw is not worth the sum of it's parts...but, it was well worth the Old Mans reaction!

-Andy

Last edited:
Nice looking project Andy, I am sure your dad will be delighted to have that one working again.

An old tree service guy I knew called the PM6 the best bucket saw ever, and must have had at least 25 around his shop when he passed on. They were a tree service and a McCulloch dealer, best combination I can think of...

Try MoJim for a bar, he had/has a storage unit with a large inventory of NOS parts including bars, may have some for the Mini and PM6 type saws in there.

Mark

Climbed with that saw for years, almost every day...tried the newest and greatest...nothing came close...Was (and remains) the best climbing saw ever IMHO.

For that reason, a restoration was in order!

Thanks for the lead!

Andy

Last edited:
Where did you find decals. I would love to find a set for the Pro Mac 10-10S I just cleaned up.

I bought some 10-10 labels from Randy's engine repair on eBay. He never listed them, I just called and asked if he had some and got lucky. He is pricey but they were excellent quality.

Where did you find decals. I would love to find a set for the Pro Mac 10-10S I just cleaned up.

I had them made locally...they came out very nice though. I sell them occasionally, mostly just to help pay for them.

-Andy

mac 125c

i just picked up a nice 125c pro mac, iam wanting to turn it in to a hot saw,any one know what to do for hop up goodies?

i just picked up a nice 125c pro mac, iam wanting to turn it in to a hot saw,any one know what to do for hop up goodies?

What type of hot saw? A play work saw or
a race saw?

Take the motor out and put a 101 kart motor
in it's place. And don't look back.

A couple small things you can do to the original
motor. Open up the exhaust or install an older style
round type muffler with spark arrester removed, And
install the fully adjustable carb if it doesn't already
have one.
Not alot you can do without getting into porting
and custom pistons to raise compression.
The reeds are a draw back as well. Having a set
of custom reeds would help.

JMHO

Lee

I've attempted to fix these decomps before and failed. I thought i'd share my experience this time. This one did not seat well and would leak a little. Put a little valve compound on the place where the valve seats and use a drill to grind it smooth. It worked great! No leaks now. Check the video for the illustration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGz6_TERxsA

I've attempted to fix these decomps before and failed. I thought i'd share my experience this time. This one did not seat well and would leak a little. Put a little valve compound on the place where the valve seats and use a drill to grind it smooth. It worked great! No leaks now. Check the video for the illustration.

Mac DSP fix - YouTube

Amazing.

Really!

Just need to be sure to blow out all the grit before re-installing on the saw.

:cheers:

Also, I had one today that had a bent spring. I've never been able to bend those back into place until today.

Remove the red plastic cap by applying a little heat. You will see that the metal cap underneath the plastic one has been punched into place similar to a rivet. Drill this out just enough to remove that metal cap. Now you can remove the valve stem and spring clip. I then straightened out the clip, cleaned the valve. Reassemble and then weld the cap back on using a flux core welder(easier than using a stick). Immediately drop it in water so that spring doesn't get hot. I then popped the plastic cap back on and the valve is now good as new.

Sorry guys, I didn't take pics of this one. Maybe next time I do one ill photo document it.

Suggestions Please

Pro Mac 10-10S
Model # 600111D
Serial # 11-018717

The service manual I have for a 10-10 doesn't answer what Im lookng for. Does this saw have an AUTOMATIC and Manual oil pump?

If it has an automatic is there any way to slow it way down or disengage it all together. I prefer manual if possible. The oil cover was leaking when I got it so I replaced the gasket and sealed it. No leaks but I did not pay attention to the internal works. I assumed it was just manual.

After adjusting the carb, running it on my bench, I had left an oil slick on my shop floor the Exxon Valdez would have been jealous of :laugh:

Yes it does have the auto oiler. Remove the oil tank cover and you'll see the auto oiler. You can use a flat head screw driver to adjust it. Clockwise is less oil and counter-clockwise is more oil.

Yes it does have the auto oiler. Remove the oil tank cover and you'll see the auto oiler. You can use a flat head screw driver to adjust it. Clockwise is less oil and counter-clockwise is more oil.

Thank you, the carb is giving me fits and I didnt want to keep oiling the floor playing with it :laugh:

Back