McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good Andy. If you happen to have a good, leak free fuel tank/handle assembly left over after you're all done........I'd sure be interested in it if you're of a mind to part with it. I don't care if it's missing all of its paint so long as it's unbroken and free of leaks. My SP-81 tank now leaks at the seam. Figuring out a plan of attack to fix it. Damn things are glued together from the factory....

Aaron, let's see if this will work. There was this guy with a 125 that wrapped his tank in a ballastic vest and then ... . Oh, nevermind he hasn't posted in a while; maybe it didn't work so good the second time. :msp_rolleyes: Ron

Aaron, let's see if this will work. There was this guy with a 125 that wrapped his tank in a ballastic vest and then ... . Oh, nevermind he hasn't posted in a while; maybe it didn't work so good the second time. :msp_rolleyes: Ron

Bad enough he attacked a plentiful late-model 7.5. Thankfully he never attacked something more valuable. Finally over my heebiejeebies enough to start sorting the filtration issues on this. The I'll psych myself up to run it again... :msp_unsure: and I want a bikesaw...

attachment.php

View attachment 276349

DSC07231_zps3f8c0a2c.jpg

DSC07230_zps6784169f.jpg

One of my recent acquisitions. The compression seems a bit paultry, and I am hopeful I can get away with just ringing it. I was thinking I'd get some rings prior to tear down, but it seems there might be different sized rings for this? Ted has provided me with a part number of 89732 for rings.

I had other things to do today, but I just had to know. View from the exhaust side looks good. I think I'll get away with just rings :clap:. Can you tell the muffler was a little loose?

DSC07233_zps8f9aabca.jpg

Should I be concerned about the crackedness of this flywheel?

DSC07232_zps4e63d992.jpg

Last edited:
Don't worry about the flywheel. A lot of them look like that. It's not really cracked.

Now, if it is really cracked that's a problem and it should be trashed.

Don't worry about the flywheel. A lot of them look like that. It's not really cracked.

Now, if it is really cracked that's a problem and it should be trashed.

Joey's right on...the cracks are casting marks.

Confirm that with a good cleaning.

Top edge of that piston looks rough...when it's apart clean it up a little (if in fact it needs it)

Clean the decomp while you're in there...gas soak and wire brush or, search for Joey's valve lapping method.

Sweet 700!

- Andy

Just curious with all your MAC connections, can't you and Heimann locate that warehouse where all the old MAC tooling and leftover parts are reported to be stored? What a field day we could have. Ron

I found McCullochs last great stash in Sydney and will have the chance to buy it but cant afford to store 3 container loads till its all sold

McBob

Good news, yellow saw related as well.

I finally got some space cleared and was able to install the spring clip kit on the oiler on the PM 850. Haven't tested it yet, but given how the spring puts a metric crap ton of force on the back of the oiler, I can't see how it would ever leak again.

Also yellow related, but not a saw, we finally were able to get the Ski-Doos out this season. It was bare last year, no snowmobiling could be done. Nothing like 104 hp from a 583 liquid cooled Rotax two stroke twin...

I finally got some space cleared and was able to install the spring clip kit on the oiler on the PM 850. Haven't tested it yet, but given how the spring puts a metric crap ton of force on the back of the oiler, I can't see how it would ever leak again.

Also yellow related, but not a saw, we finally were able to get the Ski-Doos out this season. It was bare last year, no snowmobiling could be done. Nothing like 104 hp from a 583 liquid cooled Rotax two stroke twin...

I wonder how Mark's little BP3 would do in a snowmobile? I understand that snowmobiles were the intended use. Ron

Nothin like hangin on to the bars with the go fast
lever clamped on a 175 horser 1000cc twin.
Stock Ski Doo MachZ RT1000. I've had it at 124 mph
on snow on radar. Ice would be faster. :msp_wink:
I haven't been up north yet but i'm ready.

Lee

I wonder how Mark's little BP3 would do in a snowmobile? I understand that snowmobiles were the intended use. Ron

You know, now that you mention that, I'd love to test that. I found a nice Ski-Doo on CL, but with a bad engine... 600 clams.

If the McMuseum curator wanted to, I wouldn't mind grabbing that sled for him to plop that BP3 into... it's been well taken care of, but then the oil pump suddenly went out and killed the engine.

I would need to be reimbursed (at least partially) for it though. Most of my money magically disappears every Sept. to pay for college. And I wouldn't mind being the one to install it, and figure out the clutching and such... it'd take time, but I could do it. Imagine a Ski-Doo powered by a McCulloch... that would be awesome.

Which that guy having his Rotax engine seize due to a pump failure makes me wonder if I could put an oil pressure gauge in the oil pump output line on my sled to keep an eye on that... and reduce the chance that I'd run the engine until it seizes... I gotta look into that. It would be a good modification to post in the vehicles forum.

Obviously, that project wouldn't be started until I got the barn sorted out. Or at least cleaned up from where it is now.

Nothin like hangin on to the bars with the go fast
lever clamped on a 175 horser 1000cc twin.
Stock Ski Doo MachZ RT1000. I've had it at 124 mph
on snow on radar. Ice would be faster. :msp_wink:
I haven't been up north yet but i'm ready.

Lee

Them are easy 135+ sleds. Some claim 150 from a stocker. :dizzy:

I've read the 583 will hit 110. Problem is where I'm at, it's hard to find a straight flat piece of ground to go that fast on. I've gotten it to 90 mph a couple times on a real short stretch that is about a 15 minute walk from my back yard.

The 440 fan will hit 75-80 with my fat arse on it. Pretty impressive for a 440. Amazing difference between a liquid and fan cooled sled... both have their pros and cons.

Someday, I will get the GPS of mine a case and mount, and get the snowmobile trail maps on it, and take a trip... last time pops and I did that (with a map) we were gone for nearly seven hours. Found ourselves in some small town way out in the middle of nowhere. Gas station and a pub across the street from each other. Can't get much smaller than that. Great to leave the house and find the trail head not too far away.

I hear the UP has even better trails as they are usually groomed. Here in the LP, we end up with some wicked moguls in certain areas of the trail.

Back