McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine...1st day cutting in 30+ years

275781d1359248507-1-72-1-jpg

View attachment 275781

-Andy

Left hand saw

Why does that saw not look right to me? Seems the starter and muffler are on the wrong side, damn do I need to go out and look at my 10 series saws, it has been a while.

Last year I saw what appeared to be a left handed saw, a Mac, advertized for sale in Kijiji up here in Ontario. The bar and chain appeared to be on the left hand side of the saw. It look quite old but not huge like some of the old saws.

Regards,

Lee

Another CAD score from this week, courtesy of Ebay:

Looks good here...I made a run at this for the clutch cover and spikes...the airfilter cover and decal are in great shape as well.

NO matter, as it is a SP80!!!
275901d1359314502-sp80-1-jpg

View attachment 275901

This was a HUGE bonus:
275902d1359314509-sp80-2-jpg

View attachment 275902

I have a nicer flywheel cover along with a recoil cover...with a roller bearing as well. Will switch out the pull cord handle to "stock" as well.
275903d1359314514-sp80-3-jpg

View attachment 275903

You can see here that the handle must be a little tweaked as the tank is a little off to the left. Too bad as the handle looks fine, with some minor wear.
275904d1359314518-sp80-4-jpg

View attachment 275904

Of course this could also be the issue...
275906d1359315481-sp80-5-jpg

View attachment 275906

More....

Last edited:
So, you can see the bottom plate is fubar'd....not only the bottom but up by the grip.

Probably not too much of a stretch to say whatever did in the bottom tweaked the front handle too.

However, the box of "goodies" should remedy this as well......

275907d1359315957-sp80-6-jpg

View attachment 275907

All SP80+ stuff

Will post "afters" asap:D

-Andy

Last edited:
Recoil done, on to the broken base plate.

After removing the handle to tank bolt and the rear grip bolt, the whole assembly fell off...

Yes, this is a (decent) fix, as was the original patch on the on the bottom plate. I figure the SP80 is a pro saw...so...I'd like to think this baby was field dressed hours from the local dealer. Mount is obviously junk, ground strap missing.

275954d1359326487-sp80-bottom-mount-fubar-1-jpg

View attachment 275954

Nontheless, on to the "goodie bin"...

275955d1359326492-sp80-bottom-mount-fubar-2-jpg

View attachment 275955

Another..gotta hunt for a new anti-vibe mount.

275956d1359326496-sp80-bottom-mount-fubar-3-jpg

View attachment 275956

At this point I figured I'd rip the whole thing apart, might as well right?

P/C look good through both ports...the pros may break stuff, but they don't straight gas their s**t!

More pics coming...probably Monday.

-Andy

Last edited:
Recoil done, on to the broken base plate.

After removing the handle to tank bolt and the rear grip bolt, the whole assembly fell off...

Yes, this is a (decent) fix, as was the original patch on the on the bottom plate. I figure the SP80 is a pro saw...so...I'd like to think this baby was field dressed hours from the local dealer. Mount is obviously junk, ground strap missing.

275954d1359326487-sp80-bottom-mount-fubar-1-jpg

View attachment 275954

Nontheless, on to the "goodie bin"...

275955d1359326492-sp80-bottom-mount-fubar-2-jpg

View attachment 275955

Another..gotta hunt for a new anti-vibe mount.

275956d1359326496-sp80-bottom-mount-fubar-3-jpg

View attachment 275956

At this point I figured I'd rip the whole thing apart, might as well right?

P/C look good through both ports...the pros may break stuff, but they don't straight gas their s**t!

More pics coming...probably Monday.

-Andy

That's exciting Andy, I can't wait to see it run. I sold my whole collection just to focus on building and collecting those.

Lets see the video when it's done.

So, you can see the bottom plate is fubar'd....not only the bottom but up by the grip.

Probably not too much of a stretch to say whatever did in the bottom tweaked the front handle too.

However, the box of "goodies" should remedy this as well......

275907d1359315957-sp80-6-jpg

View attachment 275907

All SP80+ stuff

Will post "afters" asap:D

-Andy

Looking good Andy. If you happen to have a good, leak free fuel tank/handle assembly left over after you're all done........I'd sure be interested in it if you're of a mind to part with it. I don't care if it's missing all of its paint so long as it's unbroken and free of leaks. My SP-81 tank now leaks at the seam. Figuring out a plan of attack to fix it. Damn things are glued together from the factory....

Eccentric,

What about that motorcycle tank sealant?

I've heard that can work wonders, at least on other applications.

Regardless, I'll keep you in mind...I honestly don't know if the ones I have leak or not.

-Andy

Eccentric,

What about that motorcycle tank sealant?

I've heard that can work wonders, at least on other applications.

Regardless, I'll keep you in mind...I honestly don't know if the ones I have leak or not.

-Andy

Thanks Andy. The motorcycle and automotive/industrial tank sealer products are options that I am considering.:msp_thumbup:

new toy, finally

I finally STUMBLED onto a CL saw, a mcculloch that wasn't all plastic, or made in Mexico (610 ). The owner said it was his uncles, a timber faller, retired years ago then put up in his garage. Some how passed along to this guy's father who is now passed on. Anyhoo, it sure doesn't look beat like most faller's saws after a few years of service.
Compression feels awesome, airbox is super clean and both tanks look clean. Ill have to wait till I get home to start the thing, am still at work.

I finally STUMBLED onto a CL saw, a mcculloch that wasn't all plastic, or made in Mexico (610 ). The owner said it was his uncles, a timber faller, retired years ago then put up in his garage. Some how passed along to this guy's father who is now passed on. Anyhoo, it sure doesn't look beat like most faller's saws after a few years of service.
Compression feels awesome, airbox is super clean and both tanks look clean. Ill have to wait till I get home to start the thing, am still at work.

Its "assembled in mexico".....the parts at the time were still genuine McCulloch:D

Sp-81

Up-date, IT RUNS! It runs a little rich on the high side, and the dried up fuel line leaks into the airbox, but it runs, idles, picks up rpm good, aaaand no oil from the auto oiler. Oh well. Once I get a carb kit and fuel line in it I'll sort out the oiler. The clutch sprocket bearing is gone, but, overall still a good CL purchase. February is right around the corner!!

Latest posts

Back