McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job on the saws Lee.:msp_thumbsup:

I want to get a 105 some time too.:biggrin:

I got a SP105 few years back talked the owner out of it as he wanted to stick it on a homemade kart the SP105 ain't as common as the SP125 so now its in my shed I sold quite a few of them as new machines just never had the grunt of the SP125 but they lasted very well

McBob

Last edited:

I wanted a SP105 too but despite two purchases all ended up being SP125Cs when the measurements were taken. I didn't complaint much. Ron

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 311864View attachment 311865

going to clean and prep to run the 192 itt rioneer co saw. also going to spin a loop of 404 semi square and see how ballsy this will pull.
attachment.php
nice custom spikes on this 1-85
attachment.php
attachment.php
and the 890 has real good comp , need to check over and make run . the 890 is in the middle.
attachment.php

The model and/or serial number can be found on a metal tag in the airbox. Either should allow you to find an IPL with the correct part number for the air filter. As far as the rim goes, you should be able to tell by comparing it to the illustrations in the oregon catalog, after you remove it. I think the threads on that side are left hand. The clutch is friction fit on a taper, so just tap it a few times after the nut is off and it will pop loose. There will be a roller bearing in either the bore of the clutch drum or left on the crankshaft. If it's in good shape, grease it and reuse. If not, they're cheap.
update...... my saw has a clutch cover with a non replacable rim on it, found a pic of one on chainsawr but they dont list a phone number anymore

I have just about finished converting an old geardrive into a SP125G all the basic figuring out is done just needs a good clean up and coat of paint watch for photos and it's AV mounted like the SP125.

It will be the first SP125G I have ever seen

McBob

Last edited:
update...... my saw has a clutch cover with a non replacable rim on it, found a pic of one on chainsawr but they dont list a phone number anymore

The part number for a new oregon rim sprocket system is 68209X. That includes rim and drum, don't remember if it includes the bearing and I'm pretty sure it doesn't include the washers. The bearing is 11893 and the washers are 11513.

On a 790, the IPL shows an air vane governor (like the 740, 1-76, and others) for this model. The saw has the correct number carb (in relation to the IPL), but is lacking the air vane blade and necessary linkage on the LH side of the carb. Do any of you know if late production 790's dropped the air vane, as the 795's and later lack this feature.

On a 790, the IPL shows an air vane governor (like the 740, 1-76, and others) for this model. The saw has the correct number carb (in relation to the IPL), but is lacking the air vane blade and necessary linkage on the LH side of the carb. Do any of you know if late production 790's dropped the air vane, as the 795's and later lack this feature.

To the best of my knowledge all the 790's had the
air vane governor but most folks disconected them
back in the day for more power and rpm's.

Lee

To the best of my knowledge all the 790's had the
air vane governor but most folks disconected them
back in the day for more power and rpm's.

Lee

Between Randy's 790, my 790, and my 740, I've had three of those saws here. Only one arrived with an intact governor setup. The rest had already been at least partially disabled. I disabled the third one.:D

reed ?

while waiting on parts to get the PM700 i just got going, i noticed what may be a broken edge of some metal up inside the muffler. did this have some kind of a reed in there ? is it necessary ? does it quiet it much ?

while waiting on parts to get the PM700 i just got going, i noticed what may be a broken edge of some metal up inside the muffler. did this have some kind of a reed in there ? is it necessary ? does it quiet it much ?

yes it has a reed in the muffler and yes it actually does quiet it compared to no reed. gives it a nice pop at idle too!

Back