McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out the filter one fellow is using over in the 10-10 thread. Sits a lot lower and would be out of the way.

Only thing I run a 28" on right now is the old creamsicle, I should have never let that 895 slip through my fingers but the guy was asking for 300 some dollars that I didn't have at the time, I think I still have his number somewhere
6yhyje3y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machinisttx, I could probably take 1/2" or so off the filter if need be but I will check out that filter you mentioned thanks for the info

Not all 10-10s were created equal. Yes some will pull chain on a 28" bar easily in wood such as pine. I was given an old beater 10-10 that was wearing a 28" bar, I was skeptical and gave the old thing a try. It did well enough to leave that bar on it.

When I was putting my motorcycle and my scooter away for the winter, I went to a local gas station that sells non-ethanol premium fuel, and filled up my gas cans, so I could top off both tanks. I've seen what ethanol gas can do after a few months or more of storage, and it can be ugly. Also, the ethanol can settle out to the bottom of the tank, and first you're running on pure ethanol, and once that's gone, you're left with gasoline that's about 3 points lower octane (the ethanol increases the octane of the cheap fuel they make.) The non-ethanol fuel cost about $.20 more per gallon than Regular, but in my motorcycle I immediately noticed an increase in fuel mileage by about 11%, so not as expensive as it sounds, and still only about 5% extra. I expect it would make a saw run stronger as well. See my SIG for the link to the site where I found the gas station. The phone app works much better than the website, btw. Fuel additives cannot help as well as keeping the ethanol out in the first place.

I used the same gas cans to fill my saws when I got them running, and it is worth the extra money to know that the saws aren't absorbing water into their tanks this very minute.

Scott in Penfield NY

Last edited:

Yep. :)

When I was putting my motorcycle and my scooter away for the winter, I went to a local gas station that sells non-ethanol premium fuel, and filled up my gas cans, so I could top off both tanks. I've seen what ethanol gas can do after a few months or more of storage, and it can be ugly. Also, the ethanol can settle out to the bottom of the tank, and first you're running on pure ethanol, and once that's gone, you're left with gasoline that's about 3 points lower octane (the ethanol increases the octane of the cheap fuel they make.) The non-ethanol fuel cost about $.20 more per gallon than Regular, but in my motorcycle I immediately noticed an increase in fuel mileage by about 11%, so not as expensive as it sounds, and still only about 5% extra. I expect it would make a saw run stronger as well. See my SIG for the link to the site where I found the gas station. The phone app works much better than the website, btw. Fuel additives cannot help as well as keeping the ethanol out in the first place.

Scott in Penfield NY

When we first got stuck with E10 around here, the fuel mileage on the car I was driving at the time went down 5+mpg. I hate the stuff, but there isn't anywhere around here that sells ethanol free...at least not the last time I checked that site.

lumberjack if you can find it the 10-10 can theoretically run up to a 28" bar. I've seen a 30" listed for it. And note I said theoretically.
Back in the day, before arboristsite, when I only had a Craftsman branded Poulan 2000 and a 10-10S, I would run a 28" bar on the Mac. As long as I kept the chain sharp, it did an impressive job. Of course you couldn't dig in the dogs and pry up on the handle, but it wasn't a joke either. Now I have better options.

When we first got stuck with E10 around here, the fuel mileage on the car I was driving at the time went down 5+mpg. I hate the stuff, but there isn't anywhere around here that sells ethanol free...at least not the last time I checked that site.

I know a lot of marinas also sell non-ethanol fuel. Prices are pretty high, though, but the importance of that depends on how much fuel you run through your power equipment.
If $20 extra for a year's fuel means no carb rebuild needed (or carb replacement at the extreme) it could be worth it. Then there's aviation fuel, but I expect you need to know someone to get that (someone with an experimental aircraft, for example.)

Scott in Penfield NY

OK here's the 610 it finally took it. It took a few 610's to get a running one. And yes it has no chain break.
IMG_20140104_010928.jpg

I know a lot of marinas also sell non-ethanol fuel. Prices are pretty high, though, but the importance of that depends on how much fuel you run through your power equipment.
If $20 extra for a year's fuel means no carb rebuild needed (or carb replacement at the extreme) it could be worth it. Then there's aviation fuel, but I expect you need to know someone to get that (someone with an experimental aircraft, for example.)

Scott in Penfield NY

The marinas here will gouge you for about $1-$1.50 over regular pump price as best I remember. The amount of fuel I run through my equipment makes that cost prohibitive compared to a $8-$12 carb kit, especially burning several gallons of fuel going there and back. So far, I've only had to kit one carb in my own OPE, and that was only after it set for a couple of years. I work down the street from a municipal airport, and have no idea what they charge. I will have to stop by and check.

The marinas here will gouge you for about $1-$1.50 over regular pump price as best I remember. The amount of fuel I run through my equipment makes that cost prohibitive compared to a $8-$12 carb kit, especially burning several gallons of fuel going there and back. So far, I've only had to kit one carb in my own OPE, and that was only after it set for a couple of years. I work down the street from a municipal airport, and have no idea what they charge. I will have to stop by and check.
My small town airport is happy to sell it. I haven't run it in my saws but got some for my generator since it doesn't run often. I also ran a tank through my splitter. The exhaust has a very different smell. $6.11 a gallon as of about a month ago.
Jim

My small town airport is happy to sell it. I haven't run it in my saws but got some for my generator since it doesn't run often. I also ran a tank through my splitter. The exhaust has a very different smell. $6.11 a gallon as of about a month ago.
Jim

What town was this Jim? Was it Van Wert? Just curious.

Jim
I think that stuff's supposed to last for at least 3 years (some planes sit idle for many months at a time.) Some motorcyclists love it for the bikes they ride only occasionally. Again, the number of gallons of gas you run in OPE determines if it's too expensive or not.

Scott in Penfield NY

6-10 - Did you get a spark today? I normally drag a piece of paper through the points as the last step before closing up the cover just to make sure they are absolutely clean.

LJ - Looks like you could invest about $35 for an air filter, fuel line, and spike for that saw and save yourself day and a half you've spent making the modifications...but that wouldn't be as interesting.

I did get some of the jigs made today for drilling the 10 Series oil tanks for the 3 screw oil pumps, and learned quite a lot about the changes over the years as I was doing it. I will start a new 10 Series oiler thread in the main forum and try to document the whole oiler as well as the drill jig. I will still need to order a few more spacers from McMaster Carr to finish up the last 4 pieces. Here is a teaser...

With the drill jigs nearly complete, I finally got to start putting the CP55 back together. I rather enjoy working on the 10 Series saws.

DSC04068.JPG

Mark

Heimannm the 10-10 will get a new fuel line later on but am keeping the spike for now and thanks for the input on the filter and everything, somebody finally noticed the fuel line thats on it currently haha, but I do have all the original filter hardware etc just trying some things out, I'd love to get a few more Macs and am still pondering keeping or getting rid of the 306a I have

Mark does the 1-46 use the same rings as the 250's and other 80cc saws. And how much fuel should a 610 go through I know today I ran it out twice and filled it up 4 times as well as atleast a quart of oil. I was cutting some big stuff.

6-10 - Did you get a spark today? I normally drag a piece of paper through the points as the last step before closing up the cover just to make sure they are absolutely clean.

LJ - Looks like you could invest about $35 for an air filter, fuel line, and spike for that saw and save yourself day and a half you've spent making the modifications...but that wouldn't be as interesting.

I did get some of the jigs made today for drilling the 10 Series oil tanks for the 3 screw oil pumps, and learned quite a lot about the changes over the years as I was doing it. I will start a new 10 Series oiler thread in the main forum and try to document the whole oiler as well as the drill jig. I will still need to order a few more spacers from McMaster Carr to finish up the last 4 pieces. Here is a teaser...

With the drill jigs nearly complete, I finally got to start putting the CP55 back together. I rather enjoy working on the 10 Series saws.

View attachment 326001

Mark

Your design is a lot simpler than my wood jig and surely much more accurate. If it fits the PM800 case, sign me up as a customer. BTW I noticed when gathering all the pieces for Aaron's SP70 that the case on it has dimples where the screw holes would be. Ron

Back