McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joey know anywhere to get these filters for less than $45

Recently, someone listed several on eBay for ~$15. They didn't last.

Keep patient, buy a whole saw to get a filter, or make one.

Use some metal screen, tool dip, and your own choice of fabric to make one.

Excluding the crankcase and filter cover, Does this one picture cover all the parts asked for today?

a5a2azum.jpg

I could round up some fasteners. As for the gasket, if I found one it would be brittle. You could easily cut new gaskets from a roll of stock.

Copper flashing works good for exhaust gaskets. Can get it at alot of the home improvement shops. Used it a time or two in hi comp engines also. Good stuff.

Thinking about taking a carb from a 10-10A (SDC-37A) with H&L adjustable and using it on a PM 55 (SDC-49 non-adjustable). Thinking this would work fine. However, thought I would see if any input here?

It may be difficult to adjust since the needles stick strait out instead of up at an angle.
You have a good point on that. I'm also switching top of fuel tank out with one that will have the cut-out for getting to the straight screws.

Ran into that problem on a 10-10A when had bright idea to switch top of old style tank with newer tank to utilize the plentiful flat air filters. Note, your previous pictures of air filter mods are darn nice.

Also, thanks to Joey for input.

good to see an old Mac doing what it was designed to do. Not a picture of it cleaned up on the workbench, not a video of cutting cookies and squabbling over how fast or slow it is compared to the latest Stihlavarna, just putting lumber on the ground. Gotta love it!

good to see an old Mac doing what it was designed to do. Not a picture of it cleaned up on the workbench, not a video of cutting cookies and squabbling over how fast or slow it is compared to the latest Stihlavarna, just putting lumber on the ground. Gotta love it!

Looks to me like it's jes sittin' on a stump.:D

Last edited:
Well interesting day got the 1-46 running good. Ran it through some wood and about 15min in I noticed gas pouring from the carb area iand it running erratic. Took the carb off and the nipple was cracked looked like it had been jb welded at one point. Luckly had another flat back sitting around so fixed it and got it back running. Gotta say it may not be as fast as the newer plastic saws but it will grab and cut. Tried bogging it down to no avail. Put it in some of those logs I had pictured awile back. Think once I get all the kinks out of it it will be a good wood saw.

Latest posts

Back