McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 3-25 didn't come out until Oct - Nov of 49. If that's an early manual I'm interested in it as well as the saws. PM me if you want to sell those.

Nick

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

I must have been thinking of something else. The book is dated September 1952. McCulloch 3-25 Service Manual/Parts Catolog. Los Angeles, CA McCulloch Motors company.

I ran into an old feller at the saw shop the other day that's into vintage McCulloch kart motors and racing. Said he had an otherwise good 660 that he pulled the connecting rod out of for a kart motor and was looking for someone who could use it for parts. Didn't sound like he wanted much, but I have no special interest in gear drive saws. He also had a PM700 on the shelf that someone wanted to trade in. I think that one's coming home with me.

You would not be disappointed with a good PM700 unless you have run an equally fresh 7-10...

Yes I know, you helped me get my first 700 going and I'm forever grateful. I can't speak to the 7-10, but I sure wouldn't mind having another PM700.

Jeff

I ran into an old feller at the saw shop the other day that's into vintage McCulloch kart motors and racing. Said he had an otherwise good 660 that he pulled the connecting rod out of for a kart motor and was looking for someone who could use it for parts. Didn't sound like he wanted much, but I have no special interest in gear drive saws. He also had a PM700 on the shelf that someone wanted to trade in. I think that one's coming home with me.
I too would be interested in that Mac 660.

Can anyone tell me what model saw this bar fits. With the helper handle off from tip to tip it's 46 1/4 inches, has the flying goose logo and fortified tip. I took a bunch of close up pics but my phone is froze and won't up load. this is an old pic. If I can get the pics up loaded I'll post them. Thanks, Joe.

Got a couple more.

I need another 660 like I need another hole in my head but I am 99.8% certain I can come up with a good connecting rod.

I contacted him to make sure it was okay to give out his contact info and apparently he's taken the rod and the crankshaft out of it. If anyone's still interested pm me for his contact info.

Regards,
Jeff

Does anyone need a McCulloch chain filing guide? It is PN 56218. It has never been filed on from what I can see! 35* top plate angles, depth guage slots vary from 0.025-0.040. You can have it! Merry Christmas!

I acquired a D-44 earlier this week. Running from a reputable source (fellow AS member). Just needs kill switch repaired and new sprocket.

Are new sprockets available for this model or do I need to look for a used one?

Thanks in advance!

Virtually all of the large frame saws from the D-44 thru the SP125 used the same drum, only the crankshaft diameter varied meaning you need the right bushing or bearing in the drum. There are spline type drums available if you want to use a floating rim sprocket, or all kinds of spur drums.

Let me know if you have trouble finding one, I am sure I can set you up.

Clutches are another story for the RH start saws so handle yours with care.

Mark

Mark
The parts showed up for the 10-10. I only was able to recently figure out the clutch removal to exchange the 354 clutch for the regular 3/8 clutch. Yup... tapered shaft no key like it shows in the IPL I machined up a puller.
Will wrap up the old chain and clutch with the old bar for shipping. I was able to spend some time and buff and clean the chrome :) much nicer now, but will never be like new:(. Looks to be vary low time on the bar with some OEM machining still showing on the chain rails!!

On this 7-10A, I will have to pull the flywheel and clean and check the points gap to make sure they have not closed up some. I can even check the cap (400-600v), since I have (I built) a power supply (0-1000vdc) with a built in uA meter. My old homelite caps were problematic in my old homies.
ADDED: I also want to see the points lobe on the crank for wear. One of the old homelites was worn and affected timing (retarded). I'd rather know... then speculate and hope. DAMHIK
I put a kit in the SDC and It actually looks OK as it was. The carb looked fine except the long idle adjust screw didn't seem to touch the idle arm on the carb much. I think the curved sheetmetal do-dad on the carb shaft was tweeked a little compared to the SDC's in the 10-10's.

Are there any 84253 carb boots out there? Rather buy one than have to make it. :yes:
Thanks for the help

FWIW all 16" bars
7-10A 15lb-3.5oz
10-10A 14lb-11oz
PM10-10 17lb-12.5oz

Back