McCulloch S550

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NC Hillbilly

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I obtained a S550 that was running when my co-worker put it away 5 years ago. I have not tried to start it yet but have been trying to find out a little about it. Would anyone know the specs and hp or a little history of these saws? Is it a keeper?

Check out acres internet. If has specs on a lot of the older saws.

103cc, and not a very common saw. The 99cc 550 is much easier to find. I'd be interested if you decide to pass it on to someone else.

103cc, and not a very common saw. The 99cc 550 is much easier to find. I'd be interested if you decide to pass it on to someone else.

Yep. As would I. Really liked the 'regular' 99cc 550 that I had, and would like to replace it with another 550 or S-550 at some point. A 'low priority' want right now though. In any case, at least my 550 went to a good home (RandyMac), and I get to visit it a few times a year.:msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
I obtained a S550 that was running when my co-worker put it away 5 years ago. I have not tried to start it yet but have been trying to find out a little about it. Would anyone know the specs and hp or a little history of these saws? Is it a keeper?

Pm me a price on the S550 if you decide to sell it.

Yep. As would I. Really liked the 'regular' 99cc 550 that I had, and would like to replace it with another 550 or S-550 at some point. A 'low priority' want right now though. In any case, at least my 550 went to a good home (RandyMac), and I get to visit it a few times a year.:msp_thumbup:

Thanks guys! Give me a few days to tinker with it and if I decide to let it go I will pm the both of you.

It has the original 20" bar and chain/sprocket which I believe is a .404 . But he could not find a chain locally and installed a 20" saber with a .375 chain and sprocket. The carb on this thing is massive! What mix did they use for this saw?

It's alive!!!!!!!!!

Put some fuel into tank and a little down the carb and WOW!!!!. It ran:hmm3grin2orange:. It is missing a few screws on the recoil housing and has a small chip on the left corner of the filter cover but is mostly in good shape. Here are a few pics since I know it is a lie without them:laugh:.

Very nice! Looks like it has the Mac flat back carb with a choke and a fully intact idle speed governor. How well does it idle?

Very nice! Looks like it has the Mac flat back carb with a choke and a fully intact idle speed governor. How well does it idle?

It seems to idle aright, is it rare to see one fully intact? It might need to be rebuilt, not sure yet.

It seems to idle aright, is it rare to see one fully intact? It might need to be rebuilt, not sure yet.

Most owners remove that governor to make adjusting a bit easier and give the saw more top end.

Mine had the flatback and the governor had been removed. I swapped in an HL-63 and the saw runs great.

Very nice you got a runner! Not a common saw at all.

:cheers:

It does seem a little harder to find the carbs with the governor intact. Most people also seem to prefer to swap them over to a Tillotson HL. I for one prefer the Mac carbs over the Tillotson, and really like those idle speed governors. If the governor is adjusted correctly, the engine speed will lope slightly at idle.

Would anyone have a manual for this thing? I would like to know how to properly adjust the carb and gov also.

Started up today and played with the carb adjustments, it tends to return back to idle slow but then idles fine after a few seconds. Air leak ?

Started up today and played with the carb adjustments, it tends to return back to idle slow but then idles fine after a few seconds. Air leak ?

Is that the only time you notice odd behavior like this?

Does the tone change when you tilt the saw around?

Did you clean the carb and/or kit it?

Back