Measuring a cord in practical terms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I politely informed him what a cord was and this is his response. We need to take note. There's no such thing as a cord in the wood industry. --Ian

What i am selling is exactly as decribed. a cord is a antique way of
ripping people off there is no such thing as a true cord in the wood
industry thank you for your concern that is why i am detailed - do you
want to buy any wood? yes or no? - george

Hey Booga, you betta check what you stuff in your pipe my friend. NH law specs a cord at 128 ft3 not 4x4x8. Interesting that you... yourself mention the classifieds ads, as that actually is a daily reminder to all that it's 128 ft3 or a fraction of 128 cubic feet. Maybe you should check your drinking water while you're at it. if you are really hanicapped and really do misunderstand what you read each day, then please except my appologies.

attachment.php

Yup. I used the 4x4x8 figure as the most commonly used multiple to get you to 128ft3. Could have used 4x16x2 or some other configuration to get you to 128.

Must be something in the drinking water that led me to believe that folks wouldn't infer that there's more than one way to mathematically skin this particular cat.

if you are really hanicapped and really do misunderstand what you read each day, then please except my appologies.

With writing skills like that, anyone would have trouble understanding what you're trying to say. :monkey:

I think most of us understand that 4x4x8 = 128 cubic feet. I didn't see him quoting the NH code verbatim, so it's nothing to get your panties in a wad over.

Take a look at my avatar. That's 75 cubic feet, mounded up on a half-ton pickup truck with racks that allow the mound to reach almost cab high. Without the racks, I would be lucky to haul a half-cord of wood in the bed.

Next time someone delivers firewood to you in a pickup truck without rails, he will be delivering about one-half cord of material and that is all. To get a full cord, ask for two deliveries.

It's not a matter of "practice" or local "custom", it's a matter of legal definition, and it's not open to debate.

You are right.

+1 There is no argument whatsoever, 128 cu. ft. is the legal measure of a cord of wood just as 16 ounces is a liquid pint-except in the UK where they give you 20 ounces. That's why I love drinking in British Pubs.

+1 There is no argument whatsoever, 128 cu. ft. is the legal measure of a cord of wood just as 16 ounces is a liquid pint-except in the UK where they give you 20 ounces. That's why I love drinking in British Pubs.

So is a cord 160 cu/ft in the UK???:)

If not, then just :givebeer:

A stacked cord

I looked it up and found that the legal measured cord is when it is first stacked. So if I stack it at first to dry and it is a cord and I sell it the guy restacks it and it is not an exact cord and bithces about it, I can tell him the legal measurement was when I stacked it first, because everyone stacks differently and pieces go together differently. I haven't had the problem yet because I usually give a little extra per load just to make sure I don't get any #####ing.

I looked it up and found that the legal measured cord is when it is first stacked. So if I stack it at first to dry and it is a cord and I sell it the guy restacks it and it is not an exact cord and bithces about it, I can tell him the legal measurement was when I stacked it first, because everyone stacks differently and pieces go together differently. I haven't had the problem yet because I usually give a little extra per load just to make sure I don't get any #####ing.

Nice loophole! Think that'll fly when someone delivers a half cord when a full cord was ordered!?:D

Alright

Well now lets be serious, I'm not out to screw anyone but you get some people that are super picky and they'll get out the tape measure. And look at from my point of view, If I gave everyone that much more wood after they stacked to make a cord they stacked I would go bankrupt. I spent a lot of hard labor finding cutting and splitting all that wood and I think I deserve a little profit. Now if the guy is just trying to screw you then that's different. I just want to get something out of it for my work.

If I gave everyone that much more wood after they stacked to make a cord they stacked I would go bankrupt.

I think you missed my point, embedded in my sarcasm.:) I can't imagine that the volume difference between a freshly split cord and a dried cord is that significant. Maybe 5% - 10% at best. No doubt, the weight difference will be more than that, but we're talking volume here, not weight.

A 5% shortage I could maybe live with. A 50% shortage, no. I'd hate to see someone abusing this "loophole" as an excuse to short-change someone.

That said, could you reference the source on the "wet cord" measurement? I've never heard this and suspect it may be the exception, possibly only in one state.

Nice loophole! Think that'll fly when someone delivers a half cord when a full cord was ordered!?

From the customers standpoint "first stacked" would be the first time it was stacked on his property. Before you arrived with a truckload of wood it didn't exist ( to him ). For all they know we pulled it out of thin air just out of site from his place. The only work they see is when we get out of the truck and pull a lever to dump the bed.

If he was to come inspect a stack, watch it being loaded and had the trucK in sight the entire way to his home there could be no arguements about it being a cord.

I've had no arguments about shortages when delivered.

No harm

I think you missed my point, embedded in my sarcasm.:) I can't imagine that the volume difference between a freshly split cord and a dried cord is that significant. Maybe 5% - 10% at best. No doubt, the weight difference will be more than that, but we're talking volume here, not weight.

A 5% shortage I could maybe live with. A 50% shortage, no. I'd hate to see someone abusing this "loophole" as an excuse to short-change someone.

That said, could you reference the source on the "wet cord" measurement? I've never heard this and suspect it may be the exception, possibly only in one state.

I get what you mean. But I hear everyone say a cord is a cord but when and where is it legal. I'm not going to stack it at the cust. house that is for sure. I will admit all it takes is one person to spoil it for everyone. We all do are best to do the cust. right or we won't sell any wood.

I get what you mean. But I hear everyone say a cord is a cord but when and where is it legal. I'm not going to stack it at the cust. house that is for sure. I will admit all it takes is one person to spoil it for everyone. We all do are best to do the cust. right or we won't sell any wood.

That you can stack a legal cord and then someone else restack it and come up short is quite possible. That the difference would be enough to grossly affect your profit is doubtful.

Harry K

If you have a customer that picky put them on the prefered customer list. Perfer not to do business with. Just cut them of nicely. I will not work with people like that iy's just not worth it.

Scott

Agree

I agree with both of you, I personally have not had a person quite that picky but I do know they are out there and that is true you do not need to do business with people like that.

OK Im I being unreasonable? I ordered 3 cords of wood. I paid for three cords cash. After I stacked it I only had 2 and 1/4 cords and i stacked it loose to allow for more air flow. I called up the supplier and I am still in the middle of trying to get it straightened out. I paid 175 a cord I expect to get at least closer to three cords then to two....

Last edited:
OK Im I being unreasonable? I ordered 3 cords of wood. I paid for three cords cash. After I stacked it I only had 2 and 1/4 cords. I called up the supplier and I am still in the middle of trying to get it straightened out. I paid 175 a cord I expect to get at least closer to three cords then to two....

I'm beginning to think this is Standard Operating Procedure. Mind you, that doesn't make it right at all.

What was the response from the supplier? As long as this has gone on, it sure sounds to me like he's stone-walling you. Time is on HIS side when he's got your money. At this point he could claim he delivered 3 cords; you just had your buddy across town pick up 3/4 cord since then.

You might want to consider getting the authorities involved at this point. Whether that's the police or someone from NYS bureau of weights and measurements, I really don't know.

Not to further complicate this thread but here goes. I am interested in buying rounds that have been cut and stacked by a homeowner. I told him that in order to be fair for both of us I would set up a skid with a sides to measure out a cord. He has cut all of the pieces to within a couple of inches of 16". Would splitting the rounds generate a better yield for him prior to stacking them in a cord measure or does it not really make that much of a difference? I would think a better measure of the cord would be acheived by stacking split pieces. I have offered the use of my splitter ( his gas) so that he can split the wood. It is mostly Locust and Cherry. We have the sheisters around here too when it comes to selling a "cord" that does not measure up. Make sure they have a firewood license!

Latest posts

Back