Medium size saw for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johnaki

Johnaki

ArboristSite Lurker
Here's my problem. Next week I'm going to Arkansas to visit friend. He's got 8 walnut logs, about 18 - 20"s wide that we'd like to mill. I've got a 30" Granberg mill. We've slabbed up some 15" cedar and cherry with my Stihl 290 and it went well. I've got a Stihl 075 that is going to be a dedicated milling saw when I'm finished learning to rebuild it, but it won't be done by in time to take it with me to Arkansas.

Although my Stihl 290 has served me well for cutting the 10 cords, or so, of firewood I cut yearly, I would like a bigger saw. I'd like one that will handle the walnut logs in Arkansas and then be my go to every day saw after I get the Stihl 075 done.

I'm going to be retired in a couple of months and have lots of projects that I'll be using the saw for, so I'd like a professional grade saw. I also live in the forest and have plenty maple, cherry, hemlock, a bit of tamarack and, almost, an unlimited amount of Northern white cedar.

I'd like to stay with Stihl or Husqvarna because I've got good dealers in the area to work with. I've been looking at the Husqvqrnq 576XP, 372XP and 390XP. ThE Stihl's I've looked at are the MS460, MS440 and MS441.

So, I'm looking for a saw that will do some milling, but eventually be a good all round heavy duty saw.

My only experience until recently has been my Stihl MS290, so any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

timmcat

timmcat

ArboristSite Operative
I'd go for the 390 or a 2188, just because the technology is simpler, they are both traditional 2 stroke, and have really good power to weight ratios. My experience is that when milling, to big isnt big enough horsepowerwise. I wouldn't want to heave a 390 around the woods all day, but when you need power you wont have to look far.

Latest posts