Menard's $99 saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat10ken

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
In my new Menard's sale flyer they have a Hitachi 32cc, 16" saw with a 7 year consumer warranty.Listed at half off for only $99. It is probably a piece of crap saw but I am tempted to give it a try for a limbing saw. It might work well with my 70 and 86 cc Jonsereds! What do you all think?

I've never seen them in the store...Are they located next to the milk and cheese?

I got one last year, a real POS. I have a craftsman someone gave me that is much more useful, which isnt saying much. They had a $50 manufacturer rebate, so I paid about $57 with tax, and I feel ripped off...

hummmm...I was thinking of buying a throw away saw to lend out to my city friends, maybe. If you want a new off the shelf home owner saw to last awhile you should do whatever it takes to make it run on the rich side.

In my new Menard's sale flyer they have a Hitachi 32cc, 16" saw with a 7 year consumer warranty.Listed at half off for only $99. It is probably a piece of crap saw but I am tempted to give it a try for a limbing saw. It might work well with my 70 and 86 cc Jonsereds! What do you all think?

If I needed another small saw, at $99 (which is half price), I'd give it a try. Hitachi usually makes pretty decent stuff. It does state "7 year consumer warranty". I read the reviews on it. But ya gotta take those reviews with a grain of salt. Find out what the return period is and run the snot out of it during that time. If it's still running at the end, it's a keeper. If not, take it back.

I even found a website for parts: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/hitachi-cs33eb16-rear-handle-chain-saw-322cc-parts-c-7927_120694_120695.html

Menards also has a Poulan for $108.98

Don <><

Last edited:
If I wanted to buy a $ 100 limbing saw....one that would keep me happy....I believe I would watch Craigslist or eBay for a Stihl 015 in good condition. My parents have one that they keep around for the occasional dropped limb around their place, and it is a nice running little saw that is 20+ years old and runs great.

and it is a nice running little saw that is 20+ years old and runs great.

To me, there are pros and cons to all the options. It just depends on your own situation.

1. Buy the new cheapo saw, you could buy 2 or 3 for the price of a similar good brand saw...but they usually don't last. Your maintenance, mix/oil quality is important to get any longevity - they can't take abuse.

2. Buy the new good saw. More $, should last but still might not.

3. Good brand used. Normally saws that "run great" don't get sold, but sometimes you do get lucky. If you are good at fixing saws, this is the way to go obviously.

I usually choose no.2, but might go no.1 on a cheapo that will be used by a helper occasionally. Then if they trash it, no big deal.

FWIW - Hitachi owns Tanaka now. The 33cc made in China Hitachis are the same Tanakas that Baileys had on special last month ... just with green plastic dye instead of orange.

Thanks for all the replies. I certainly don't need another saw as at last count I had 17 including my antique saws and I don't like small saws either. I sold my little MS250 with 16" bar because it seemed I was always bending over to cut limbs or having things just out of reach and having to move. I really prefer my J-red 2186 with 24" bar for all my firewood cutting from limbing to bucking. I have a MS310 with an 18" bar that gets little to no use and just sets on the shelf but you know what? I think I will get that ugly little green pos saw to set on the shelf next to it.

I have a MS310 with an 18" bar that gets little to no use and just sets on the shelf but you know what? I think I will get that ugly little green pos saw to set on the shelf next to it.

Of course we'll want a lengthy review (with pix) of that little green saw. At that price, I'm half tempted to get one myself.

Don <><

For 100 new, why not, if you want to? Take it apart, gut the muffler, do a little porting action on it, retune, see what ya got. Forget the warranty anyway.

Back