Meteor kit assembly help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milkman31

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This kit for the ms390 was given to me by a very generous member in the Christmas thread. As I was cleaning the intake and exhaust a bit I saw that there are no threads for the motor mount bolts. I was informed that the factory bolts will cut there own threads as they are installed? If someone could help me with the process to get this together would be great!image.jpeg image.jpeg

I know some guys like a certain oil on the threads and I have had other guys tell me that oil can compromise the 518 base seal.
This pic makes the plating bleed area really stand out against the light cylinder material they use. I don't work on these models and never realized that the area below the bore is not plated.
The inside of the Meteor Cylinder is very different from the Farmertec, almost open vs closed (which I still don't fully understand anyway).
Dave

I was informed that the factory bolts will cut there own threads as they are installed? If someone could help me with the process to get this together would be great!

Yes this is true. The bolts will cut threads when installed. I think it's best to use oil when installing them.
I all so like to install them and then remove them to clean up the oil and chip mess before final assemble.
I have all so used a tap to make the threads I like this method best.

I was informed that the factory bolts will cut there own threads as they are installed? If someone could help me with the process to get this together would be great!

Yes this is true. The bolts will cut threads when installed. I think it's best to use oil when installing them.
I all so like to install them and then remove them to clean up the oil and chip mess before final assemble.
I have all so used a tap to make the threads I like this method best.
What tap size did you use?

These are supposed to be self tapping screws, at least they are if they are OEM. You could try clamping the cylinder and the clam together, then run the screws in with a good quality T handle Torx driver. Back them out, air the threads out, clean everything up again and you are ready for assembly.

I know some guys like a certain oil on the threads and I have had other guys tell me that oil can compromise the 518 base seal.
This pic makes the plating bleed area really stand out against the light cylinder material they use. I don't work on these models and never realized that the area below the bore is not plated.
The inside of the Meteor Cylinder is very different from the Farmertec, almost open vs closed (which I still don't fully understand anyway).
Dave
The oem open port is actually a pretty good runner. I'm curious as to how this meteor jug performs. Being a closed port design, it could easily become an upgrade to oem for an 039. Hmmmm

I'd bolt the bottom to the jug with 3 smaller bolts and nuts and thread in one at a time.

I'd even put the crank and bearings in for proper alignment.

Those are coarse self tapping threads. I don't know if I'd wanna tap those holes first.

As the others said, after you tap them all, clean everything before buttoning it up with an approved sealer.

I done one ms390 with a oem cylinder.threading the bolt holes with the bolts as a pain in the arse.i used the old bolts just in case it stripped the new ones that were included.

Latest posts

Back