Mid West Ice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I can do it

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any you guys from the Mid west? Looks like there's alot of cleaning up to do out there. I'm willing to come out and run a crew if there's an opening. I been on a few ice storm road trips over the years, as I remember it was alot fun.

I drove through the storm last night from Arkansas, now I am here in Kansas waiting it out to see if I should stay home or head somewhere it is worse. It was warmer here than expected so it isn't very bad thankfully, I sure don't want our trees to look like the blast zone that Springfield, Mo. was last February. But there is more moisture coming and the temp is supposed to drop so it may not be over.

If anyone in OK or MO needs an equipped and insured sub climber I may be available.

Last edited:
I am at ground zero in Tulsa. Worked all day yesterday just cutting people out so they could get groceries and stuff. I am overwhelmed with work right now and that is just from my existing customer base. Our main business line is out as the phone lines are down. No matter, I am already swamped without my line being operational. I already have one of our regulars supposedly on the way from Arkansas to help me out with some heavy equipment. It is very likely that I will need more help so I will definitely keep you guys in mind. Just need to see how much bigger my workload gets first.

Everyone and their little sister will be going.

I'll do it if the money is there.

Don't you mean you and your 'lil sister?:hmm3grin2orange:

seriously though, some of the boys from our area left yesterday with Illinois as a staging point. I was asked but with the holidays coming I couldn't be away from home. I saw on the news there were 1million people without power. Good luck to all of you guys, stay safe........

Im in vernon texas which is 5 hours from tulsa and 3 from okc. I got a 1 ton, 7 x 14 dump trailer, s220 bobcat with a grapple, generator and chainsaws. If the money is there let me know (940) 839-6446 Tony

ice

so far chicago area not bad from storm it was mostly rain tonight dropping to 20 degrees if wind picks up it could be different story let u guys know. stay safe keep the saws running. john sandborn did u get snow or rain up by u. john new lift came in today preping it nifty sd 50 should have it in a week or sooner let u know when we get it we are backed up with work so as soon as we get lift call u.

Last edited:
john sandborn did u get snow or rain up by u. john new lift came in today preping it nifty sd 50 should have it in a week or sooner let u know when we get it we are backed up with work so as soon as we get lift call u.

We had 3 inches of wet sloppy backbreaking snow, praise God. I've done enough ice storm work to dread it when they say it is coming through. We got around 1/4 inch from the weekend before, but it melted off before the winds picked up. I only saw a few limbs down and had zero calls for help from that one.
nifty-sd50-03_nrml.jpg

looks like a neat little pice of equipment. Is it towable, or do you need a trailer?

Last edited:
What do you guys do with all the wood you accumulate when you go on these work/trips?

Most of these are Federal Disaster Areas and the volumes of wood collected are staggering.

I'm near 7 ft tall and have been down roads with piles of brush and logs going over my head lining both sides of the road.

Areas with wood working industries will take up the logs for a few weeks, then the market will glut and collapse. After that happens the wood goes into tub grinders.

I was thinking of talking to a some wood processors...Get a cord king out there and you could have semi's of hardwood running up into the mountain comunites...

Most of these are Federal Disaster Areas and the volumes of wood collected are staggering.

I'm near 7 ft tall and have been down roads with piles of brush and logs going over my head lining both sides of the road.

Areas with wood working industries will take up the logs for a few weeks, then the market will glut and collapse. After that happens the wood goes into tub grinders.

I was thinking of talking to a some wood processors...Get a cord king out there and you could have semi's of hardwood running up into the mountain comunites...

7foot tall guess that would make you above the average climber:laugh:
I would have been an NBA star

During the January ice storm here almost all the debris was hauled off and burned. Lines of prentice loaders/trailers waiting to dump at the area dump offs for weeks on end.

It would have been nice to see at least some of it go to use, but nope. Can you imagine 80-100 acres piled 12' high burning?

Anybody in Missouri, Kansas, or Oklahoma who needs to bring in another climber for a while, shoot me a PM.

Invasion this morning !!

I live in heart of the mid-west, middle of Missouri, and saw this going into work at Jefferson City this morning.... A pre-planning meeting and a fleet of trucks getting ready to work. Apparently Ameren UE called in the reserves. These guys looked like they had their act together, and were here to work !!!

Over six rows of boom trucks, 20 - 30 per row, normally a state parking lot.
http://icreek.com/storm/elliot_trucks.jpg

I turned around and went on the back side, all the same company, Elliot, Davis H. Elliot from Kentucky
http://icreek.com/storm/elliot_trucks2.jpg

http://icreek.com/storm/elliot_trucks3.jpg

The within walking distance a hotel with pickup support trucks, over one hundred.
http://icreek.com/storm/elliot_trucks4.jpg

A neighboors front yard this morning.
http://icreek.com/storm/storm_yard.jpg

Lot of work to do, and wood down everywhere.

During the January ice storm here almost all the debris was hauled off and burned. Lines of prentice loaders/trailers waiting to dump at the area dump offs for weeks on end.

It would have been nice to see at least some of it go to use, but nope. Can you imagine 80-100 acres piled 12' high burning?

All that pecan, hickory, and cherry, what a shame. Not to mention all of the oak sawlogs in the burnpile.

Then the wind shifted and smoked out Springfield.

The network news tonight had a homeowner cutting up a bradford pear with a homelite. He said it'd take him a couple months to clear it all. He may be right.:hmm3grin2orange:

50% crown loss means NOTHING! Trees regrow--just cut off the damaged parts, back to the first good node. see attached, if you have not seen it before. 4 years old but still "cutting edge"? I hope not.:deadhorse:

Latest posts

Back