Mill Holiday number 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob,
I sincerely hope that its just a strain or some other minor injury - actually i hope it turns out to be nothing! what am i going to do if you aren't milling and posting pics? Keep us posted and Get better quick!
Lou
Thanks - right now I have beer, wine, whiskey pains killers working effectively.

Oh and that little skid steer you're using - is it a toro dingo by chance? i have the opportunity to pick up a used model for $4k. i'm seriously considering it.
Yes it is a Dingo - Awesome little machine for maneuvering slabs.

Last edited:
I had the full weight on my heel and heard and felt the top of my calf "crick" and whamo - I think I have a torn calf muscle!. It feels like I have a permanent cramp and I'm hobbling around cussin like a spoilt brat!

Bob,

If you tore your calf muscle, I know the feeling. I tore my calf muscle about four years ago while deer hunting. I was running up the side of a steep hill when I did it. Your going to be hurting for some time. Lots of ice and liquid pain killer works good. Take care of that leg, you only have two.

jerry-

Bob -
Sorry to hear about your injury -
As a certified old fart i realize it takes longer to mend. I'm just getting over an arm injury from last fall. But also as a certified obstinate old fart I realize you probably won't rest the offending part.
So strap it up in a high tight boot so it doesn't move much.

attachment.php

(note that the above photo may be offensive to some because it shows the sole.)

And if you DO sit down for a while how about going thru some of your excellent photos and posts and knocking out a book on Chainsaw milling for the 2010's?

Cheers Gemnii and 820Wards, am feeling much better.

Yesterday I went back to the site of the injury and helped Hud pull out a few more small jarrah logs. It's mildly steep terrain so the down hill milling should work well.
attachment.php

In the afternoon I fired up the 441 on my small alaskan to cut some craft size pieces of Sheoak. I started on a longer piece (see slabs at back of this picture in this picture) but it was full of dry rot.
attachment.php

Then I worked on this odd shaped piece to see what I could get. The guide board is compressed plastic - not bad - nice and slippery!

attachment.php

The little mill with the wheels and the 441 really zipped thru this stuff. This is the combo I am going to use the lo pro with.

Interesting grain on some of them.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Today I went back to the big Jarrah branch about 40" in diameter that was cut down about 100 years ago that I started on last year.
attachment.php

It's a real pain because it's 1/2" too big for the 42" bar so had to use the 60"er.

The timber slabs were a bit on the ratty side - just enough to keep me milling to see if they would improve.
attachment.php

attachment.php

That Dingo is one tough SOB - it lifted either end of that log (just) so I didn't need to use my log lifter. It's a wonderful jizmo for moving slabs as it turns on a dime and can carry 500 lbs (but I have had more than that on it)
attachment.php

Parked the van a bit close for the last slab!
attachment.php

I cut 6 slabs and then the chain came off the mill at WOT. Lots of sparks and the sprocket mangled 4 drive links and they will need to be replace. Went to change the chain but notice the bar also needed dressing so I packed it in for the day and went back to house for some R&R.

Unfortunately its my last day tomorrow.

Great Photos Bob ,looks like you had a good time <injury aside>and those boards have a nice grain to them,its always good catching up with friends:cheers::cheers:

Glad you are well enough to get back in action, Bob.:)
Thanks

Any particular reason the chain derailed ? Are 60" bars prone to derail due to the inevitable chain sag ?

Most common derail for me is when starting the cut since the chain heats up and expand far quicker than the bar. This usually happens before the bar is buried so the first 4 inches I take slowly at about half throttle

The next most common derail point is at the very end of the slab when the chain is blunt and it can overheat, expand and fall off.

This time it happened about 18" into the cut. I don't know why it happened. The only thing was I was not keeping a close eye on chain tension so it may have just been too loose to start with.

Do you ride the dingo home? Doesn't look like it will fit in the van.
The Dingo is a 23 HP twin hydraulic power pack on wheels. Hud bought it for his farm because he uses the auger attachment with rock teeth to make fence post holes. He also has a trencher, bucket, spreader, etc. Dingo's max speed is about 6 mph so it's not something you go too far in .

To carry all these attachments and the Dingo he has a neat trailer like this
single_trailer.png

He delivers the Dingo to the milling site for me on the trailer with his pickup and then goes off and does other farm stuff

The Dingo is really useful for me while I'm milling for moving the slabs because otherwise we have to use the tractor with the forks and the tractor is used for a lot of other things on the farm.

Are those posts on the side of the trail? or some protected treeline.
It's a fence line between Hud's property and the neighbors. The trees I'm milling were all pushed down to make the fence line.

She's beauty there Bob. Take care of it and don't push too hard.

Was it a calf muscle pull or a sprained ankle? Either one really hurts.

jerry-

Thanks Jerry,

It was definitely a calf muscle that tore, but the blood all seem to have pooled in my foot which according to local medical knowledge Hud's wife Sandi and daughter is normal.

No more milling down here for a while because it's back to the city today.

Thanks Jerry,

It was definitely a calf muscle that tore, but the blood all seem to have pooled in my foot which according to local medical knowledge Hud's wife Sandi and daughter is normal.

No more milling down here for a while because it's back to the city today.

When I tore my calf muscle I had to use crutches for about two weeks. My whole leg from the middle of the calf muscle turned black/blue like your ankle. At least once your back to work you won't be trying to lift or move heavy objects. Look at it this way, your wife won't be asking you to vacuum the house for awhile... :biggrinbounce2:

It's been to wet to do any milling here. I have trees lined up, just have to wait for better weather.

Take care.
jerry-

Treatment for Swelling

Bob,
Great pics and stories. It's a pity you have to go back to the city! Thanks for sending them.

A treatment for any kind of swelling that my late father taught me works really well. (Even if it is no fun)
-Set up a couple of buckets that will hold your foot and lower leg
-Fill one with water as hot as you can stand it
-Fill the other with ice water
-Soak the swollen part for 50 seconds in the hot then...
-Soak it for 30 seconds in the ice water.
That completes one cycle. Do twelve (or more) cycles per session. Two sessions a day until healed.

It works. But, the time in the ice water is really painful. (You'll be cussing me...but, that's ok...I cuss at myself when I do it.) It will reduce the swelling and pump the lymph glands in the area which will knock the soreness down appreciably. A torn muscle takes a while to heal. But, getting that swelling out of there will ease the ride.

Thanks again for the pics and info.

Bob,
Great pics and stories. It's a pity you have to go back to the city! Thanks for sending them.

A treatment for any kind of swelling that my late father taught me works really well. (Even if it is no fun)

SNIP

Thanks again for the pics and info.

No worries. Despite one day being 116F, one day rain and one day R&R because of the torn calf muscle its been a good week. My hosts are so hospitable. The food is sensational, home baked bread, local fruits and vegetables, fridges full of beer and wine and all those toys to play with. This is my idea of a real holiday.

nice job on the milling sorry for the leg take care of it u would miss it if it wasn't there believe me! love that hardwood over there the grain is wonderful take care
jnl

Back