milling tool handles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redoak

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm hanging an axe, the current broken handle has a real nice cruve and fawn's foot, not something you'll find in a hardware store. So I've decided to mill out a piece of ironwood (also called hophornbeam, O. Virginiana). Any suggestions on how to mill for best strength? My first attempt boxed the heart wood, but I think that is going to lead to some serious checks. Suggestions?

BTW I'm just using the table saw for this project.

-redoak

Hi All,

I'm hanging an axe, the current broken handle has a real nice cruve and fawn's foot, not something you'll find in a hardware store. So I've decided to mill out a piece of ironwood (also called hophornbeam, O. Virginiana). Any suggestions on how to mill for best strength? My first attempt boxed the heart wood, but I think that is going to lead to some serious checks. Suggestions?

BTW I'm just using the table saw for this project.

-redoak

http://tennhickory.test.lunaweb.net/tn_hickory480_360/tn_hickory480_360.html

Pretty neat...

I would want to bend the handle to get the curve. IMO cutting the curve with tools would give a weaker handle ( grain runout ). And an axe handle should be as strong as possible. Not sure how ironwood bends ? hickory will bend with steam.

Axe Handle

I would split the wood to get to the basic shape (overall) and then use a spokeshave or similar tool to shape the handle. If the axe is double bitted it is a straight piece, single bit axe's are a bit more of a challenge to get the hands down farther towards the center of gravity. If you are looking for a bent one either start with a bent piece of wood as others suggested steam it.. but I am not sure how well that wood responds to that. Oak and Hickory are particularly good.

Have fun, better start with several blanks (at least I would).

Horn beam is very hard to split, so i would use the tablesaw to get close,then a drawknife should finish it up pretty good.It has a very close grain. Should make a very durable handle for ya.:)

Latest posts

Back