Mix Oil brands and warranties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pijetro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all...
So both the Stihl and Husky mix ratios these days are stating 50:1 for the saws i'm looking at...
For those of you perhaps running different saws, are you also running separate mix oil containers?

Can I use Stihl brand mix oil in a Husky saw and vice versa?
Is there a reason warranties get extended for proper mix brands, or is it a sham?
I'm worried this thread might be dangerous, so please be gentle with me :buttkick:

:popcorn:

I make one mix, but I've never had a saw with a warranty. If I had a saw with a warranty, it would get the exact same mix I run now.

Two minutes and two replies...
Boy, this forum is slow :rock:
Thanks....I'll keep this in mind, and won't beat myself over the head with it..I'll keep to the mix ratio (since all gallons sold are presized for the mix oils these days), and sleep a bit better..
How in the hell does Husky possibly verify the warranty for buying their oil..:dizzy:

If you buy saw and oil same time it's on the receipt guess you could then run whatever you want good luck. Better too be generous then not.

Well, if you buy a new saw from a dealer and get the extended warranty by using their oil..why not? Gives you much sturdier legs to stand on if you have to use the warranty. They are all decent oils, and the dealer will appreciate that when you walk in, they make a sale. Mix oil, files, etc, all cheap stuff, but they will remember you and appreciate it.

+1. Previous face time in the dealership goes a long way if you ever need help. Trouble is, most dealerships seem to forget your face after about a month. The brand-specific oil reco is just to help out the dealership sell sundries.

Any quality oil is fine, and at 40:1 you're still fine... a new saw (still under warranty) shouldn't need much work besides winterizing it when in the off season.

As a dealer, there is no friggin' way I can tell what mix you have in it, or what mix was in it when it broke. We look at clues to tell us what happened to the saw and whether it's caused by a manufacturing defect.

I wouldn't call the oil deal a sham. It's your choice to decide whether to go with it or not. You get product with the offer and most folks need the oil anyway. I have had several cases where the two year warranty has covered defective parts such as clutch and carburetor issues. The extended warranty worked out very well for those folks.

Even tho i dont expect i will need to use the warranty i use both husky premix and husky bar oil just incase !!!

Use a good synthetic at 40:1.

I would not mix the oils though. Use one up and then go to another if switching brands.

My local Stihl dealer told me the same thing about the warranty if I bought their oil. I've switched to a better quality oil since then but I would recommend mixing with non-ethanol fuel. I mix at 32:1 and all of my pro saws are happy!

I started out using the Husky oil for my Husky saws - no problems at all @ 40:1
Switched to Stihl Ultra Synthetic because it was cheaper than Husky - 12.99 / 2.6oz 6-pack. No problems.
Just mixed my first gallon of 93 octane using Dolmar Full Synthetic - 9.57 / 2.6oz 6-pack. So far, everything seems fine.

Same mix is used for saws, blower and string trimmer.

From everything I've learned on these forums - a good brand name mix will be more than enough for most of us firewood cutting' guys.

I would only move to a diff brand if it could be technically proven a different product would be better for my saw
Next time around i will go full synthetic

Latest posts

Back