Mix Ratio?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have fun rebuilding that Husky. Too many sthil Post around here anyway.
I use and have always used 40:1 mix with Quick silver in all my 2 cycle engines.

Stihl mix (orange bottle).... 50:1 in my MS361 and 028WB, 40:1 in the Mac and all other 2-stroke power equipment.

I was wonderin' if there is a set of chaps available that don't make a guy look fat.:p

Gary

E-Tech vs 40:1 Mix Ratio

Okay, lemme throw in on this one. (I used the search feature, uh huh, yes sireee)

40:1 is better, but what about on the new E-techs with the cat muffler? I don't want to swarp the muffler for a non-cat on account of voiding ye old warranty on a new saw.

I figure it like this....

More oil = more emission = quickly clogged cat muffler. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Nick

GASoline71 said:
Stihl mix (orange bottle).... 50:1 in my MS361 and 028WB, 40:1 in the Mac and all other 2-stroke power equipment.

I was wonderin' if there is a set of chaps available that don't make a guy look fat.:p

Gary
How come 50:1 in the Stihls and 40:1 in the others? The 028WB was spec'd at 40:1 when new and won't smoke any more at 40 than at 50 (mine doesn't) and it will last longer. The 361 is not a cheap saw to rebuild/replace and if mine I'd probably run 40 just to be sure it was well lubed when I worked it hard. Using Stihl orange bottle I've noticed no performance differences down to 32:1 in my 028WB. At 25:1 I did manage to oil foul a plug but I was trying to (idling for long periods).
Finnbear

Stihl recommends 50:1. I am the original owner of the 028 and the manual shows 50:1. Saw was purchased brand new in 1984. The 361 is the same thing, 50:1 in the Stihl owners manual. I have never had a problem with runnin' 50:1 in either saw.

The old Mac calls for 40:1, so that is what I use. All my other power equipment is non-Stihl and they all recommend 40:1. I just use the Stihl oil so I don't have 5 different brands of oil to mix in 5 different jugs.

I think people freak out a little too much whith this oil mix ratio stuff. Stihl wouldn't recommend 50:1 if they thought it would hurt their equipment.

Just my .02:D

Gary

HickoryNick said:
More oil = more emission = quickly clogged cat muffler. Am I wrong?

I don't think your logic is flawed, but a properly tuned saw shouldn't smoke or produce any more sludge at one ratio vs another. I used to run 50:1, but now run 40:1. I retuned my saws and don't get any more smoke or sludge than before at the higher ratio.

Jeff

Y'all do know that more oil creates more friction, which creates more heat, which creates more wear........

opus said:
Y'all do know that more oil creates more friction, which creates more heat, which creates more wear........
You do understand what the definition of a lubricant is, don't you?

bwalker said:
I am running a 32:1 ratio in my husky 346 e-tech with good results.

fishhuntcutwood said:
I don't think your logic is flawed, but a properly tuned saw shouldn't smoke or produce any more sludge at one ratio vs another. I used to run 50:1, but now run 40:1. I retuned my saws and don't get any more smoke or sludge than before at the higher ratio.

Sounds good guys. Thanks for the help. Next batch I'll mix at 40:1 and see how she goes!

Thanks,
HickoryNick

bwalker said:
I am running a 32:1 ratio in my husky 346 e-tech with good results.

Thanks,

Good to know this as I just landed a new Huskvarna line trimmer (125L) that is e-tech. I will not be concerned about using my 'standard' 40:1 Redline racing oil mix in this despite the 50:1 reccomendation. :clap:

fishhuntcutwood said:

Jeff

WHY Jeff? Just curious. I have been runnign50:1 in everything for years with no problems. I even askesd my dealer when I bought the 262xp and was told "as long as it is stihl or husky oil, run it at 50:1 and go".
Working at the JD dealership we sold Shindiawa 2 strokes (still want a 757 for fun) and ran 50:1 in our mix and told people to mix it that way!
I dunno now?
The other Andy

sawinredneck said:
WHY Jeff? Just curious. I have been runnign50:1 in everything for years with no problems. I even askesd my dealer when I bought the 262xp and was told "as long as it is stihl or husky oil, run it at 50:1 and go".
Working at the JD dealership we sold Shindiawa 2 strokes (still want a 757 for fun) and ran 50:1 in our mix and told people to mix it that way!
I dunno now?
The other Andy

I think you may have misread me Andy. There's nothing wrong with 50:1 at all. I ran it for a long time, and only switched to 40:1, well, just because, why not? I was stating that you could run a saw at 32 or probably 20:1, and if it's tuned properly, it shouldn't smoke or coke on you. Likewise, you can get a saw to smoke at 50:1 just as easily as you can get one to not smoke at 32:1. Nick's logic was that more oil equals more smoke, and all else being equal, that may be true. But with the saw adjusted for that ratio, and amount of oil, it shouldn't smoke/coke.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
I think you may have misread me Andy. There's nothing wrong with 50:1 at all. I ran it for a long time, and only switched to 40:1, well, just because, why not? I was stating that you could run a saw at 32 or probably 20:1, and if it's tuned properly, it shouldn't smoke or coke on you. Likewise, you can get a saw to smoke at 50:1 just as easily as you can get one to not smoke at 32:1. Nick's logic was that more oil equals more smoke, and all else being equal, that may be true. But with the saw adjusted for that ratio, and amount of oil, it shouldn't smoke/coke.

Jeff

No, no, I didn't misread you at all Jeff, I was just curious if something happened in particular to make you change you're ratio thats all. I just ASSUMED (bad word in my world) there was a reason other than "just because". I was wrong.
BTW: I am still curious, since you brought this up anyway, how much of a motherbear was it to plunge cut that log in you're living room that you store you're saws in?
The other Andy

OK, so with all the mix ratios going on, how do you know if your saw is running at the wrong mix?

sawinredneck said:
No, no, I didn't misread you at all Jeff, I was just curious if something happened in particular to make you change you're ratio thats all. I just ASSUMED (bad word in my world) there was a reason other than "just because". I was wrong.
BTW: I am still curious, since you brought this up anyway, how much of a motherbear was it to plunge cut that log in you're living room that you store you're saws in?
The other Andy

Yeah, I just figured, "why not?" I mix a bottle of Stihl premix with .8 a gallon now instead of 1.0 gallon. I guess I figured I run my saws with muffler mods, and run them just a touch higher/hotter/faster whatever than stock, so why not run just a touch more oil.

When did I mention the plunge cut? My memory must be failing. But anyway, wasn't a big deal. I started it with my 200T to get a nice little groove, so my chain wouldn't skip across the top of the log or something, and then I followed up with my 361 and it's 24". Took my time, and away I went.

motti said:
OK, so with all the mix ratios going on, how do you know if your saw is running at the wrong mix?

What saw are you running? Some older saws will call for a lower ratio, while most new ones call for 50:1. Some say the lower ratios of days of old are because of lower quality oil. Some say the higher ratios of today are EPA based. Some guys run 32:1 in everything. Alot of it is purely subjective, but check your owner's manual and go from there.

I just happened across a pic. a while back and asked you about it, IK think you got busy and never had time to reply.
The other Andy

Latest posts

Back