Modding the Dolmar 420

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So do you think the 420 is a better saw than the 401 or the 111i.
The 401 is a very well built saw. But it's design is 25 years old. The 420 doesn't loose the torque of the 401 but adds a lot of chain speed. There a big difference in the saws.

I've seen the video but do these saws really start that easy? That video was amazing.:clap: Kudos to Dolmar:clap:
It's at least that easy to start. You barely pull on the rope and it just starts itself. Seriously!

The 401 is a very well built saw. But it's design is 25 years old. The 420 doesn't loose the torque of the 401 but adds a lot of chain speed. There a big difference in the saws.

It's at least that easy to start. You barely pull on the rope and it just starts itself. Seriously!

Kool! I watched the vid with the girl and that says alot when a small framed women can start one. I have a ms181 coming but didn't get the "easy start" version, I may have to check one out.

Here's proof of just how easy the 420 is to start.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s2Jv9I1jGkk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s2Jv9I1jGkk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here's proof of just how easy the 420 is to start.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s2Jv9I1jGkk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s2Jv9I1jGkk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Did you give the saw any prime first?

Steve

Looks like you made her day. Good job Anna:clap:

I might have to get me one of those saws. In fact, I think your daughter should get a commission for all the 420's she just sold.

Mr. HE:cool:

Good vid Brad, you're a lucky man to have such a nice family.:cheers:

I agree. I've got a wonderful wife and a beautiful daughter. Lisa takes good care of me too. Yes, I'm spoiled:) Matter of fact, the other night I was sick with this Meniers disease garbage and Anna cooked the two of us supper. Lisa was at work. We had scrambled eggs/cheese and toast. That was really special considering she's only 10.

Last edited:
She thought it was pretty cool that she started a chainsaw. She asked if she was going to "run it". That got a definate no. She's not ready for that yet. Hopefully someday she'll enjoy that kind of thing, seeing I don't have a son. I wouldn't trade her for anything though. She's a keeper for sure.

She thought it was pretty cool that she started a chainsaw. She asked if she was going to "run it". That got a definate no. She's not ready for that yet. Hopefully someday she'll enjoy that kind of thing, seeing I don't have a son. I wouldn't trade her for anything though. She's a keeper for sure.

Yeah. I was kinda bummed to find out my first was to be a daughter. But after she could walk and talk I found out she would rather be with dad under the car or digging in the dirt than playing with dolls. She hates dresses and refuses to play with any girly stuff. Back when I had a 300hp turbo charged car, she couldn't wait to ride shotgun and she would tell me " make the care WHISTLE! " which was the tires burning out!!!

Enjoy them while you can, mine is 19 and bringing boys home and wrecking cars. Current boyfriend is 6' 7" and weighs 345, plays college ball. Has all the respect in the world for me because he KNOWS I shoot big guns at long ranges. :cheers:

Alex. What was the final weight with bar chain and fluids for the 420 today? 13lbs 10oz. Is that correct?

420 13lb10oz???
401 gas,oil,and 16inch bar 11lb8oz
5100 gas,oil,and 18inch bar 15lb8oz
420 right in the middle.

You guys are not helping my situation at all with all this talk of a Dolmar having more speed and torque than anything in it's class.

I am trying to become a reformed CAD and become a regular person without having saws on my brain all the time.

It has been two years since I have bought a saw off e-bay and have either gotten rid of or sold 15 saws in the last year or so. This makes me feel good about myself.

Now I feel those same destuctive urges to go back to my evil ways and get a Dolmar. I have only seen one as they are not around my area. I have always wanted to get my hands on one as they seem to be a favorite among the racers.

Now you guys have me reading current threads about Dolmar's especially this one. Now I am bookmarking Dolmar on e-bay, searched out some dealers. It probaly won't be long before I get my hands on one just to see if I have been missing anything.

I am just waiting and lurking to see how Brad's mods work out. He will probaly pushed me over the edge with his silver tongue about how good these Dolmars are. He has already baited the hook and I can feel it getting ready to be set.

If and when I do get my hands on one of these Dolmar's and it doesn't live up to what I have read. There is going to be a Texas Chainsaw Massacre on AS. :cheers::cheers:

Go for it Brad, push that saw to the limit.

Larry

Latest posts

Back