Modding the Dolmar 420

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are not helping my situation at all with all this talk of a Dolmar having more speed and torque than anything in it's class.

I am trying to become a reformed CAD and become a regular person without having saws on my brain all the time.

It has been two years since I have bought a saw off e-bay and have either gotten rid of or sold 15 saws in the last year or so. This makes me feel good about myself.

Now I feel those same destuctive urges to go back to my evil ways and get a Dolmar. I have only seen one as they are not around my area. I have always wanted to get my hands on one as they seem to be a favorite among the racers.

Now you guys have me reading current threads about Dolmar's especially this one. Now I am bookmarking Dolmar on e-bay, searched out some dealers. It probaly won't be long before I get my hands on one just to see if I have been missing anything.

I am just waiting and lurking to see how Brad's mods work out. He will probaly pushed me over the edge with his silver tongue about how good these Dolmars are. He has already baited the hook and I can feel it getting ready to be set.

If and when I do get my hands on one of these Dolmar's and it doesn't live up to what I have read. There is going to be a Texas Chainsaw Massacre on AS. :cheers::cheers:

Go for it Brad, push that saw to the limit.

Larry

Larry ...Your welcome to drive up here and try out mine in stock form ...Oops muffler modded ...:cheers:

How far would I have to drive??? I don't see a location in your avator. Is it a state close by???

Larry

You guys are not helping my situation at all with all this talk of a Dolmar having more speed and torque than anything in it's class.

I am trying to become a reformed CAD and become a regular person without having saws on my brain all the time.

It has been two years since I have bought a saw off e-bay and have either gotten rid of or sold 15 saws in the last year or so. This makes me feel good about myself.

Now I feel those same destuctive urges to go back to my evil ways and get a Dolmar. I have only seen one as they are not around my area. I have always wanted to get my hands on one as they seem to be a favorite among the racers.

Now you guys have me reading current threads about Dolmar's especially this one. Now I am bookmarking Dolmar on e-bay, searched out some dealers. It probaly won't be long before I get my hands on one just to see if I have been missing anything.

I am just waiting and lurking to see how Brad's mods work out. He will probaly pushed me over the edge with his silver tongue about how good these Dolmars are. He has already baited the hook and I can feel it getting ready to be set.

If and when I do get my hands on one of these Dolmar's and it doesn't live up to what I have read. There is going to be a Texas Chainsaw Massacre on AS. :cheers::cheers:

Go for it Brad, push that saw to the limit.

Larry

I'm sure we can set you up with a Dolmar that will surpass your expectations:) PUSH PUSH PUSH PUSH PUSH PUSH PUSH PUSH PUSH PUSH!!!!!

I ran about 6-8 tanks of gas through my 420 today. I started out the day cleaning out a fence row and I must have nicked the chain on some wire. It was cutting ok, but for a while I thought the saw was kinda slow and sucky. I looked the chain over and it didn't look bad, but I sharpened it anyways.

That made a HUGE difference!! It is a cutting fool for its size. Easy as cake to start. I'm so glad that I was able to sell my 192 and buy this guy. It's light and serves its purpose. And for under $300 this saw is a steal. NOT a Stihl!

Now I just need to get my 5100 parts to get it fixed up. Javelin!!!!

North of Milwaukee ...........:cheers:

04, You are not that far away then. It is not that far of a drive from Chicago proper.

Wife and I were in Milwaukee for the German Fest that was held at some park. Easily made the drive it in a couple of hours. Making it to the city was easy enough but finding my way around trying to find a place to stay was another matter. It seemed that every exit off the freeway was closed due to construction.:confused:

We ended up on the far north side of Milwaukee in some fancy residential neighborhood close to the lake and backtracked our way back. We finally got back to downtown and found a place to stay that wasn't to far from the festival.

It was a nice weekend get away.

Larry

Last edited:
Rpm?

So Brad and Ultra;

What no-load RPMs have you set your muff-modded 420s at?

Mine seems happy over a wide range, and wondered what you decided on.

Last edited:

Brad,
How does the Dolmar 420 compare to the Dolmar 115? Do you think you'll get much torque out of the mods? Do you ever think it could pull an 18" B&C? A small saw with gobs of torque sure would be cool!
:clap:

Brad,
How does the Dolmar 420 compare to the Dolmar 115? Do you think you'll get much torque out of the mods? Do you ever think it could pull an 18" B&C? A small saw with gobs of torque sure would be cool!
:clap:

I never ran a 115. If it handles a 16" stock like it does, I would sure expect it to handle a 18" modded. Only time will tell though.

Its comparable to the Sachs Dolmar 110

.325" conversion sprocket from a 510/5100, GB PowerTech UHL16 or 18 bar or Oregon MicroLite K041 bar 13" or 15"

It will pull a 18" but it would be best with a 16" in stock form

Scott

That seems a bit low from the way you all say it cuts?
Whats it pulling in the wood?

It's brand new on the first tank of fuel, so I wasn't trying to peak it out. It pulls a 16" bar buried in Oak with authority. I don't know what in the wood RPMs are, but it's quite a bit more than the 401.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back