More flippy caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkfxr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know it's been beat to death but I just have to vent a little.

Why, oh why, Mr Stihl have you tried to fix something that wasn't broken again.

I learned pretty fast to make sure that those #%@! caps were seated before picking up the machine. I filled a back pocket full of premix when I slung the back pack blower over my shoulder just after I got it.

I used a couple saws Friday afternoon and set them in the back of the truck when I was finished, just left them there with the intentions of cutting some more this morning. When I went out this morning, one of them was sitting in a pool of premix. Now I know it wasn't leaking while I used it yesterday so what's up with that. After further investigation, all I could find was a piece of dirt on the o-ring. Cleaned everything up real good, fill the tank again and now it's not leaking anymore...I think. I've talked to several people that have had to replace their o-rings because of them leaking. Am I now going to have to keep o-rings on hand also along with all of the other saw supplies? I've been a long time Stihl user and am a pretty good salesman for them around where I work. I only have the Pro series stuff but I've just about got to the point that I'm about to start trading in everything that has flip caps as I can afford it on a brand that doesn't. Luckily, my bread and butter saws still have the old style caps.

I agree, I have them stupid caps on two saws and a weedeater, and they don't work good on any of them. I have extra o-rings in the shop for when they leak.

C'mon you luddites.

The whining about this engineering miracle is too much. :chainsawguy:

You're the same Gumps that complain about silicone implants, leakproof condoms, microwave popcorn......and, and .................... gas chainsaws.:chainsawguy:

Stihl's engineering has protected us from taking off mittens to fill, from puncturing those so old screw caps, from.....................

Give it a rest. Clean them off, align the slots, open, close, open, close, open.............................

I :heart: Flippy Caps.:newbie:

2010-10-11-08-56-371115535944.jpg

I've never had problems with mine, but i always carefully put them back in the exact slot they came out of (not sure if they will go in another way anyway) and then close them. Works great every time. Have a buddy that cusses them just like you and i know for fact he just jams them down and thats it. I don't care for them but they are alright, i'll keep using them to keep running stihls.

i bet the people having problem with the o-rings are just jamming the cap back in the threads not looking to see if the slots line up, twisting it in circles while forcing it down trying to line the slots up.. in turn, slowly destroying the o ring grinding it against the plastic threads every refill. instead of just taking the .04 seconds it takes to line the slots up.

or stihls just suck

one or the other

I am a die hard STIHL user/abuser. The caps if not cleaned of dirt or saw dust can be problematic. I have had some issues with the fuel cap not wanting to twist and register correctly. It is a real deal to figure out sometimes. I will not give up on them until some one gives me something else to try for six weeks so I could be truly convinced there are other saws out there....:deadhorse:

not to hijack the thread, but how many of you guys carry a parts cleaner brush with you and brush off all the crap around your caps before you ever take them off? i also have a rag to wipe excess oil off after filling and at times use it to get the crap off before using the brush. It just makes sense. I also try and blow my air filter out after i cut wood everytime (but its usually only once every 3 or 4 times)

Flip caps are a PITA

If you're not careful w/ the flip type cap it will not seal.

Ex Stihl engineer who votes for the old screw type cap.

I absolutly hate those things . What was wrong with the old ones ? Nothing !
More junk that you gotta fiddle and fool with.

Latest posts

Back