More info on Ropes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prowler

Reaction score
Got myself confused trying to read and understand the best type of rope for pulling trees so they fall according to plan. I'm a homeowner who cuts a few trees each year around my property as necessity dictates.

I usually try to get my rope as high as I can (25' - 30') and then tie it off to a big tree with my 2 ton come-along. I count myself lucky to have had decent luck over the years using an old 3/4 inch hemp rope. For sure, it's time to move up to more safety and more reliability.

Stihl-O-Matic wrote that WesSpur would be a good place to find a 3 strand rigging rope at the very least. What might be something a little bit higher on the "desirable" level than settling for the bare minimum as he suggested? Is the 1/2" dia. 3 strand big enough for my annual cuts of trees that usually do not exceed 15" in dia? (My biggest ever was probably only 24" in dia). Or, would it be smart to spend a little more in order to get something larger? Whatever I buy will probably have to last.

I'm glad to hear the pros recommendation to stay away from the home improvement stores when choosing the best ropes. I've checked the big 3 stores in my area - along with the farm supply stores - and the 'working' load limit and the 'tensile' load limit stuff all added to the confusion. Also, it was clear these big stores try to carry ropes for every imaginable use.

I still buy and use1/2inch 3 strand rope. It takes a lot of abuse and doesn't cost much to replace. I use it for lowering limbs. It'll pull over trees alright so long as the tree wasn't huge and leaning opposite the pull. But if your worried buy 5/8 three strand, its still cheap.
There are way better choices then three strand rope out there. Only reason I use the half inch is it takes so much abuse and is easily and cheaply replaced. You can get a 600 ft roll for what 200ft of some rope cost, and it'll do the job.

1/2 ropes fine check out this stuff

I own a small tree service and I use the same method all the time with the come along, But I am not a fan of 3 strand. I prefer The 1/2-inch sling-grade Tenex for rigging. Its easy to eye splice rate at 13100 LBS and is very cheap about 60.00 for 100ft Samson Tenex

good luck and Happpy :chainsawguy:

... with my 2 ton come-along...
I doubt if anyone here will recommend it, but I recommend a nylon rope. The stretch, which equates to stored energy, is your friend for pulling over trees with a come-along. You can crank up your come-along, knowing you are within the WLL rating for the rope, then go release your tree with the final cut. When the tree goes, the rope will keep pulling hard for several feet, depending on the length of the rope, and make sure the tree goes where you want it. The longer it keeps pulling, the better off you are.

Latest posts

Back