More reason to run higher oil to fuel ratio?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Point being you simply can not.compare apples to oranges

It would be like saying a better has mileage car needs more oil changes because it takes longer to go farther

So Strato = Hippie saw

I don't see having a cleaner running saw that gets better mileage being "hippie", it is just better engineering, albeit prodded by air quality concerns.

Don't know about you, but I don't miss running them old saws on 30 weight mix oil at real high mix ratios like we used to do. It was medium disgusting sometimes. I mean ya it is funny to say you are keeping the skeeters away, but one, it didn't really work like that, and two, as long as you were cutting you were bathed in noxious clouds of stuff that was pretty..well..poisonous. It was rank man.

Ain't nothing stopping you from going back and running your antiques only saws on 16:1 straight 30 weight, go for it.

Me, I'll be glad when they get fuel injection perfected, and also better bearings and oils so we can get hundreds of cuts in big wood per small tank of mix running at maybe 200:1, or even less mix oil than that.

Strato and computer controlled carbs are the steps in between the old saws and what will be coming maybe by the end of the decade.

I was running 40-1 stihl ultra with VP 110 leaded fuel and the results were not great. Saw started running poorly and found it plugged the muffler screen. In a MS261

I run 50-1 ultra with 89 unleaded non ethanol now in everything and no problems yet.

I was running 40-1 stihl ultra with VP 110 leaded fuel and the results were not great. Saw started running poorly and found it plugged the muffler screen. In a MS261

I run 50-1 ultra with 89 unleaded non ethanol now in everything and no problems yet.

The VP110 is to blame more than the oil. I ran into the same thing running Av gas. Too much Octane can be a bad thing.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

My bet is that it could have been many causes, but I doubt it was the 40:1. High octane fuel automatically requires you lean the saw out or it will be running real rich. Plus the lead may be able to plug the screen. I don't know, but you changed alot of things afterwards so it is going to be hard to look back and know what caused it for sure.

Back when I bought my first saw in 1995 or so (stihl 026), the first thing the saw mechanic did when prepping my saw was pull the muffler screen and throw it in the trash. He said I wouldn't be needing that thing anyway, and that they just plug up. I agree it would have been necessary to keep if I had been cutting on state land, but I'm just a lowly weekend warrior, lol.

Waylan

The question is, are the stratos running on less fuel/oil volume for the same amount of work/time as an equivalent older design.

This spells efficiency, btu's in is lesser than the grand scheme of things ... %power now is less than %power tomorrow. Progress :hmm3grin2orange:

LW

My bet is that it could have been many causes, but I doubt it was the 40:1. High octane fuel automatically requires you lean the saw out or it will be running real rich. Plus the lead may be able to plug the screen. I don't know, but you changed alot of things afterwards so it is going to be hard to look back and know what caused it for sure.

Back when I bought my first saw in 1995 or so (stihl 026), the first thing the saw mechanic did when prepping my saw was pull the muffler screen and throw it in the trash. He said I wouldn't be needing that thing anyway, and that they just plug up. I agree it would have been necessary to keep if I had been cutting on state land, but I'm just a lowly weekend warrior, lol.

Waylan

I agree with it being more than the 40-1. Saw was leaned out and I think the lead had more to do with it as well. My reason for using the VP-110 was to stay away from the ethonal but I have found a place in NE that sells non-ethonal fuel that is 91 octance not 89 as I psoted earlier.

Waylan

The high octane gas wont cause the saw to run rich...but it will cause it to run "late". The higher octane works in effect to reduce the ignition advance by burning slower.

People generally think high octane gas is more powerful or more "enriched" somehow... in fact its the opposite its harder to light and burns slower in an effort to reduce the chances of detonation. 110 octane has NO PLACE in a mostly stock saw. By my estimation its about 20 points too high. Octane in an engine should only be increased when detonation cant be tuned out without excessive ignition retarding.

I've never had one or seen a diagram - how does a strato saw push the air-only portion of the charge into the cylinder? I'm assuming it has to use the down-stroke of the piston too, as what else is there? How is it kept separate from the portion that contains the fuel mixture?

Race gas does run much richer than pump gas, as does AV gas. Go ahead and tune your saw for race gas, then switch back to pump gas without tuning. Report back what happens.

The saw may be symptomatic of running rich...but what you are actually seeing is a reduction in combustion efficiency. UNLESS the pump gas you use is 10% ethanol switching between pump and race gas wont effect lambda if timed properly.

I know a few guys that run a dyno shop. They have different tunes for pump and race gas but the only real changes between the two maps are boost pressure and ignition advance. They have noticed a VERY minor difference between E-10 and real gas but its not enough to worry about.

All of these fuels have different stoichiometric ratios. You will have to run a bigger jet/richer tune in the same engine when running race gas vs pump gas. That is a fact.

If race/AV gas runs richer why would you need a bigger jet? wouldnt you want a smaller jet?

I've never had one or seen a diagram - how does a strato saw push the air-only portion of the charge into the cylinder? I'm assuming it has to use the down-stroke of the piston too, as what else is there? How is it kept separate from the portion that contains the fuel mixture?

Animation of functionality of the STIHL 2-MIX Engine - Vus TV

img_1_rm1080-0003_350x350.jpg

Back