MS 034 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I finally got my hands on a couple of saws to work on from a Stihl dealer and just have a question.

One saw is missing it's ID markings. It only had a shop tag on it saying it was an MS 034 and it needed repairs of course.

It looks like an 034 but I was wondering if the old 034 models made the transition from being plain 034 up till the time Stihl changed over to using the MS model numbers. I see a lot of threads about 034 but don't really remember if I have seen a thread about an MS 034.

Doesn't matter to me because from what little I have looked at the saw it looks like a runner with just a little work and tinkering . I almost would bet it has a crank seal problem or a carb problem which is why it got traded in. I had an 034 and it isn't a bad saw which is why I latched on to this one because it was complete except for a missing side cover and no bar or chain but that isn't a big concern to me .

The other saw was a 361 and the price was right , a freebie but was missing a lot of parts but had a good looking piston in it with good compression.

Thanks, that makes sense, shows how far behind the times I am. This saw has the old style screw in caps . So I am going to assume it is an older 034 and not an MS whatever. Someone probably put a wrong tag on it .

At least I'll get a chance to play with some of the homemade service gadgets I made over the winter to get this saw running.

Getting the right kind of project saws to work on is getting tough for me. I was happy to get this one. I know some of you guys don't have a problem but I kind of do. Our local paper is no longer in business except on line and no classifieds any more except for legal stuff, forget e-bay these days , CL has nothing but box store junk that is way too far to drive and any Stihl on there is always too much money. The local Stihl dealers here don't have or won't sell their tradeins like they did in the past . The employees gobble them up and sell the parts on line or fix the saws up for resale. I just quit asking the local dealers. The Stihl dealer I got this one from also sells wood chippers and I was up there getting some parts for our chipper and had to beg them to see their junk saw room.

OK , time to quit whining , thanks for the info

Fantastic saws, I used the same one for years on utility I used it until the main bearings started rumbling and then I rebuilt it, it's still running today but has an easier life in my retired saw collection. The only problem I ever had with the saw was hardening and eventual failure of the impulse pipes from time to time.

I have an 034 that I bought new back in 1993. It's a great firewood saw....I usually run a 20" bar. I have quite a bit of mileage on mine and still runs like a champ.

More questions on this saw.

Like I said earlier this saw had no markings . The top cover has been switched and the tag on the starter is gone. I am assuming for now I got hold of an older model 034. I may have an 034 Super . I measured the bore and came up with 48mm which the 034 Super is or it is a 036 if my info from Acres site is correct, both these saws are 48mm bore. This saw doesn't have a place for a decomp valve where as any 036 I have seen does have a decomp valve . Right or am I wrong . I just don't want to make the wrong assumption . Either way a 034 Super would be a great find but I would be happy with another 036.

I am putting off any piston and cylinder work for now even though the saw could use it . My first assumptions were correct after doing some testing , both crank seals were shot and the carb has a bad inlet needle not seating along with some other Mickey Mouse parts like the worm gear is bad that runs the oiler. I am going to get it running and see how it does and go from their. If this is a 034 Super I'll be happy because I regret getting rid of my other 034.

Like many of you guys I don't really need another saw but the fun is in the challenge to bring them back to life.

Stihl made some 036 cylinders that were non decomp too. We'd have to see a pic of the cylindee to be sure if it was an 036 or an 034S. Another sure way to tell is the muffler, different on an 034S and 036, but seeing as somebody switched covers they could have switched mufflers too.
I dont belive I've ever seen a MS340.I think after they replaced the 034S with the 036, that they discontinued the 034. The 036 then went on to become the MS360, MS 361, and MS 362. But the 034's were a fine firewood saw.

Thanks, again this makes sense as an 036 would be a more common of a saw than an 034 super. I hope the seals I ordered will fit. They should because 034 and 036 are in the same family with that four digit part number 1125.

I am glad you mentioned the muffler because I forgot to mention this. This one had a spacer block between the muffler and cylinder with two exhaust gaskets on each side which is something I haven't seen before . I have some 036 mufflers . They won't work without that spacer .

That spacer made it nice for doing the P/V testing . I was able to get a good look to see if the base gasket was leaking . Much easier than just putting a piece of rubber between the muffler and cylinder. I am going to use that as template for future P/V testing to block the exhaust.

Latest posts

Back