MS 180?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted_D

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Im looking for a small saw to keep in my Jeep. Only thing I will be using it for is cutting for is cutting firewood for camping trips. Do you think the Sthil 180 would be a good little saw for this purpose????

Thanks for any help!!

Yes. I have had one for several years with no problems. Other brands may be cheaper, but this one works for me.

Yes its a fine saw for that. You could spend more money and upgrade but unless your using it for extended times cutting big wood not much to benefit and more to lose should it come up missing or have an accident. I use the same caliber saws my self intermittent with my bigger saws in most my work.
My dad cut about 5 years with an ms180 w/ easy start until he couldn't go on at or near 90yrs old. He cut hard wood into fire wood lengths then diced it (noodled) up with the chainsaw rather then split it, hard work for a small chainsaw. Its still healthy and going strong in my oldest brothers hands now and probably worth 2/3's what my dad paid for it 7 or 8 years later.

look at a good used 024-026 ($100-$125) if it is just going to get beat up in the jeep .....good saws for firewood and parts are everwhere on ebay

Hey watsonr. Man I am in Alaska, Cheapest I have found the 180 is $249. Everything is expensive here. Oh and buy the way. I am from Virginia, moved and lived in Sandpoint ID for 20 years and lost my mind and came to Alaska. Kick me in the ass

Thanks guys for the info! ebay isnt much of an option anymore. I get on there and 80% of the sellers won't ship here. If they are willing it is cost prohibitive

The 180 is a good little saw.also look into the redmax saws.Russo equipment on eBay does have the gz4000 for $209 but like you say no shipping to ak.

WOW. Lived in Lewiston ID, moved to Virginia and retired from the Navy. Now my job is there... wished I was in Alaska! What about the 170, basically the same saw. Have you tried AKDoug, he's there and sells saws, try him.

Where in Virginia?
Randy

Stihl is advertising the MS 170 for $179.95 on TV commercials.

I own a ms-180c, great little saw. I use it whenever I don't need to get my heavier ms391 out, or need to climb a tree. It runs a 16" bar and has an easy start pull rope.

Pros vs a 170...
The 180c actually weighs a little less, a little more motor, and the 170 uses plastic spikes. Which hardly get a bite into wood, especially if it's frozen or covered in ice. Which I imagine you run into from time to time in Alaska. Lol.

Good luck

I had a 192 T & an old tiny homelite that I used in the jeep only because of their size & the limited space in the jeep. Both saws worked good for cutting small stuff out of my way, but if there was a log in my way big enough to stop me they weren't enough saw. Also, even though I had them strapped down, I was always concerned about them flying around if I rolled. Yesterday I ordered a Stihl 261 & am going to install a scabbard outside on the rear door. I figure the 261 will double as a great small firewood saw also. Or maybe all of this was just an excuse to buy a 261.

;)I have cut full bar length oak and it handles it ok. I assume you aren't cut a semi load of wood in one day. It ain't no 261, but don't cost like one.

For someone who cuts smaller wood occasionally I don't see anything wrong with an old Homelite Super 2 or a Poulan micro 25. I think I paid $3 for my last one and with a small amount of work it runs like a gem.
I'll second the old homelite if you want a used saw. My xl2 starts as easy as anything.

If only looking at new stuff I think the 170 or 180 would fit the bill nicely. Especially one with the toolless chain adjuster. No scrench needed. It would be extra quick and easy to pull the bar off if you need to save even more space. Jeeps aren't that roomy.

WOW. Lived in Lewiston ID, moved to Virginia and retired from the Navy. Now my job is there... wished I was in Alaska! What about the 170, basically the same saw. Have you tried AKDoug, he's there and sells saws, try him.

Where in Virginia?
Randy

Farmville. The 170 was $179 but looked a little cheesy

I had a 192 T & an old tiny homelite that I used in the jeep only because of their size & the limited space in the jeep. Both saws worked good for cutting small stuff out of my way, but if there was a log in my way big enough to stop me they weren't enough saw. Also, even though I had them strapped down, I was always concerned about them flying around if I rolled. Yesterday I ordered a Stihl 261 & am going to install a scabbard outside on the rear door. I figure the 261 will double as a great small firewood saw also. Or maybe all of this was just an excuse to buy a 261.

I would be more than willing to take a used saw that works well. But to have one shipped adds a lot the price. You guys go to UPS or Fed EX or even USPS and add the weight of a saw into their shipping calculator and see how much they burn us for shipping.
As for my Jeep, I have a 05 Rubicon LJ. It is a little longer than the others. 06 and older that is. As for the logs, most of the time I just climb over them.

ohyea.jpg

Back