MS 200T straight gassed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This 200T I have been working on has me ready to toss it in the bon fire ! All the checking and testing it stihl acts like it has a bad air leak? L screw is out bout 4 turns to get it to run ? 2 different intake boots didn't change anything . Used the impulse line to check for leaks , none ? Different crabs don't help anything ? Only idea I have left is maybe the top handle itself?
You guys have any ideas for me to try ?

This 200T I have been working on has me ready to toss it in the bon fire ! All the checking and testing it stihl acts like it has a bad air leak? L screw is out bout 4 turns to get it to run ? 2 different intake boots didn't change anything . Used the impulse line to check for leaks , none ? Different crabs don't help anything ? Only idea I have left is maybe the top handle itself?
Is it 4 turns out on the replacement carby too or on another saw ?
What about tank pressure valve ? Try it with the cap loose ?

What about a leaky cyl base gasket join? The 064 I did up last winter had a huge leak, I couldn't get any reading at all on my mityvac at first. It did my head in. In the end I turned my compressor regulator valve very low (~5 PSI) and plugged the air flow into the impulse line, then I put the whole saw engine briefly in a huge tub of water. I can tell you it was then VERY OBVIOUS where the leak was.

(Otherwise, toss it over the atlantic ocean to me!)

Is it 4 turns out on the replacement carby too or on another saw ?
What about tank pressure valve ? Try it with the cap loose ?
Same thing on the new and a rebuilt carb .
It passed the vac & pressure test easy . Only thing different now is the top handle . where the impulse hooks into it maybe ?

I have a great idea send it to me and I will fix it for you . I love a challenge these saws are too easy to fix so a tricky one will be fun. Dont smash it into little pieces!

Hello again tbone75,

Another idea. After I had got my 200t leak free + generally rebuilt + carb clean+repair kit, it had a weird fault where it would fuel starve when being cold started. Sometimes you'd go through several cycles of full choke, get a cough, then choke off, starve out, before eventually starting and screaming out properly.

I remember it seemed marginally better with my L screw a lot richer than ~1 turn. I even tried Lone Wolfs accelerator pump fix - but to no avail. Eventually I bit the bullet and bought a new STIHL carb (yup lots of pennies, but I made sure to get the older non-acc pump variety). That fixed it! And now I can't stop praising that sweet little saw! :) :)

I tried a new AM carb , nothing at all . Then a OEM carb with the pump fixed , 4 turns out it would start but not much more . Busy day today , may try again tomorrow .

Is the engine itself leak free?

That is did it vac/pressure test ok, using a method similar to the one I posted here in this link?

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ms-200t-straight-gassed.297044/page-3#post-5874943

If so, then keep working outwards and as Lone Wolf says we'll get it going somehow.

Back