MS 250 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tals2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings all:

I purchased an MS 250 last fall and so far it has been a great saw. I just started burning wood this last winter and figure I will need to cut 2-3 cords per year.

It came stock with a 14" bar--this isn't quite long enough for some of the trees I'm cutting. My question is: will this saw handle an 18" bar? I know it will a 16" b/c some come with it. But I was just thinking if I was going to buy a longer bar it might be nice to have the 18 if she could pull it.

By the way I cut mostly ash, maple, and elm.

Any input would be great. Thanks guys!

Thanks for the input guys! I guess if Stihl says its ok, and now I also have a first-hand report that says my saw can handle it, I'll go with the 18" bar!

A friend alerted me an abandoned acreage about 3 miles from my place this week. Apparently, the grove is going to be pushed out sometime next year to make room for a hog confinement barn. So we went to inspect---the grove is 95% green ash, 5% hackberry. And the best part is---very little undergrowth to battle. So, needless to say, my firewood needs are taken care of-- at least for a few years! Now i just need to get it all out in time.....better go get that 18" bar.

Thanks for the input guys! I guess if Stihl says its ok, and now I also have a first-hand report that says my saw can handle it, I'll go with the 18" bar!

A friend alerted me an abandoned acreage about 3 miles from my place this week. Apparently, the grove is going to be pushed out sometime next year to make room for a hog confinement barn. So we went to inspect---the grove is 95% green ash, 5% hackberry. And the best part is---very little undergrowth to battle. So, needless to say, my firewood needs are taken care of-- at least for a few years! Now i just need to get it all out in time.....better go get that 18" bar.
Yep ya better get busy especially if you're doing it by yourself. have fun and be carefull.

It's odd that a 250 came with a 14"er....I thought a 16" was minimun stock. Anyway, when you get you 18 make sure is matches the sprocket(3/8 vs .325). both of those take a different bar. Check your sprocket for grooving & replace it if it is worn. You don't want to put a new bar & chain on a old worn sprocket.

RD

Latest posts

Back