Ms 260 pro done...........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHLTHEDEERE

This is Koty
Reaction score
talked to my buddy today at bryan equip,the stihl supplier for my area. he said that stihl is telling them that as of july 1 2010,the ms 260 pro will cease to exist. that is, they will no longer be able to put in orders for this model. he would not confirm or deney a replacement by fall,but only said to look for it to be replaced in the near future. what would replace this VERY popular model? a 50cc pro model based on the 270/280 platform? i'd bet it won't be any lighter. just wondering if anyone else has heard anything on this model. i talk to him a couple times a week,we try to have lunch once a month or so. i will post info as i learn more on this change

The 270 was to be the replacement for the 260 sometime ago. That didn't go over to well :)

The new 260, they aint talkin.

Did get a chance to put my hands on a 311 today. Like the 391, nicely done. If they were able to take those two pigs (310/390) and improve them as they did...who knows what they have in store for the 261.

A new badass MS261 saw with better AV, more HP, and better fuel efficiency that will whip a Husky 346? :cheers:

The 270 was to be the replacement for the 260 sometime ago. That didn't go over to well :)

The new 260, they aint talkin.

Did get a chance to put my hands on a 311 today. Like the 391, nicely done. If they were able to take those two pigs (310/390) and improve them as they did...who knows what they have in store for the 261.

had a chance to buy a new 391 for 475.00 otd. yesterday,did not do it. what did you think of it, the specs say it is heavier,was it noticable??

had a chance to buy a new 391 for 475.00 otd. yesterday,did not do it. what did you think of it, the specs say it is heavier,was it noticable??

I haven't had any customers say anything about it feeling heavy, they like the better anti vibe and fuel consumption, and that they can have saw that can pull a 25" bar for 520$. The 362/391/311 share many parts like the carb, air filtration, rear and top handle, and many more.

The engine set up on the 391/311 is more of clamshell like MS270/MS280, and not a modular short block like the MS210/230/250 or MS290/310/390. Where the MS 362 is a standard cylinder on crankcase setup.
The MS311 and 362 are both 59cc's and 47mm piston (not sure if they're the same or not), and the 391 is 64cc's and 49mm piston.

i love the 260pro,but i think it could be improved also. 3.5-3.8hp and under 11lbs. would be nice

I haven't had any customers say anything about it feeling heavy, they like the better anti vibe and fuel consumption, and that they can have saw that can pull a 25" bar for 520$. The 362/391/311 share many parts like the carb, air filtration, rear and top handle, and many more.

The engine set up on the 391/311 is more of clamshell like MS270/MS280, and not a modular short block like the MS210/230/250 or MS290/310/390. Where the MS 362 is a standard cylinder on crankcase setup.
The MS311 and 362 are both 59cc's and 47mm piston (not sure if they're the same or not), and the 391 is 64cc's and 49mm piston.
maybe i need to rethink this 391 a little,i do love 60cc saws

I'm kind of looking for an excuse to purchase the 391 over the 362, but I'm not sure there is one other than price. Maybe a few of you guys can give an objective review of the new MS391 now that they are available.

Really other than the "pro" cylinder on crankcase design vs. clam shell design they're almost identical. And I think the 311's and 391's come with spur sprockets, and the 362 comes with a rim sprocket, and the rewind and clutch cover on the 362 are metal, and they're plastic on the 391, but they are interchangeable.

Looking forward with hesitation

I look sceptically towards most of the new releases. Some of them are better and some of them just produce less emissions. Stihl is in a difficult position, in trying to produce a better product and at the same time having it produce less emissions. Oh, and at the same time try to keep the costs from going up too much, and at the same time turn a profit.

That being said, I don't think the 260 was much of an improvement over the 026. In fact my stock 026, has more guts than my buddies 8 month old 260 pro (both have rough air filtration). It would be nice to be able to buy something in white and orange that could hang with the 346xp wouldn't it?

I look sceptically towards most of the new releases.

No doubts here. Stihl has nailed the strato design and all of their new models show this. The 211, 362 and 441 are all bad A saws. From the few that have ran the 311, 391 they are right on also.

The 346 will not live forever and I'm sure the 261 will bring some stout competition if not knock it to the #3 position. I prefer the 026/260 over the 346 anyway. You will not see any of the standard 2 strokes in the next few years. Enjoy the old ones while ya can.:D I've got enough stashed away...

I like the MS260. Based on the recent STIHL releases I hope that the 261:

- will continue to be a 'Pro' saw in design and construction, and be rebuildable;

- will have reduced vibration;

- will have a better air filter system.

Philbert

I'm not particularly a big fan of the 260 and some of my customers have been switching to 280's. I almost always push the 346xp over the 260 and reserve my 260 sales for govt agenciesl who won't buy anything else nor even hear mention of another saw besides a 260. As for the 391, It seems like a decent saw but the weight increase has scared off ppl thus far.

Stihl pricing is all whacked out by having each distributor set it's own retail and dealer cost so it's virtually impossible to compare pricing in one region to the next. heck, the 5 of the 12 distributors that are a part of Stihl Inc and not independents, they don't even price the same.

I've not stocked any of the 290/310/390 units for the last year. Special order only. I've got the 391's on order for inventory right now and it will be a good seller.

I'm impressed with the unit. It's not a 362, but thats not the market it's aimed at. Firewood cutters who need more ummpf...in a serviceable chassis with good filtration and good AV.

Latest posts

Back