MS 261-CM (m-tronic)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ Melampy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Back in February I bought a 441 RCM and absolutely love it when I'm in larger wood, running a 25 and 20 B/C. I also have a little 192T with 14" 3/8 lopro (picco) for the really little stuff, it stays in the 4-wheeler and is very useful. So, as I'm sure you can imagine, I need a 50 cc saw for "most" of my cutting. I cut and split almost everyday as I sell firewood, trying to pay off credit card debts. My old 290 is being passed on to a friend of mine, it runs great (first good saw) but I really want a 261C (mtronic). I called my dealer the other day and was told I'd have to wait until the middle of September...or about 45 days. I know the saw will come with a .325 B/C. What I think I want is an 18" in 3/8, so I can just simplify things. Since I live near Middletown and play softball in Franklin where there happens to be a builder, I think I might want to have the new 261 ported asap. What thoughts do you guys have about switching it to 3/8 on an 18" bar? Do I just ask the dealer to set it up that way or what? How do I get in touch with Mr. Snelling about working on it and how much advance notice is necessary? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas, cautions, etc...I'd especially like to hear from the 260/261 owners with experience...Russ

Back in February I bought a 441 RCM and absolutely love it when I'm in larger wood, running a 25 and 20 B/C. I also have a little 192T with 14" 3/8 lopro (picco) for the really little stuff, it stays in the 4-wheeler and is very useful. So, as I'm sure you can imagine, I need a 50 cc saw for "most" of my cutting. I cut and split almost everyday as I sell firewood, trying to pay off credit card debts. My old 290 is being passed on to a friend of mine, it runs great (first good saw) but I really want a 261C (mtronic). I called my dealer the other day and was told I'd have to wait until the middle of September...or about 45 days. I know the saw will come with a .325 B/C. What I think I want is an 18" in 3/8, so I can just simplify things. Since I live near Middletown and play softball in Franklin where there happens to be a builder, I think I might want to have the new 261 ported asap. What thoughts do you guys have about switching it to 3/8 on an 18" bar? Do I just ask the dealer to set it up that way or what? How do I get in touch with Mr. Snelling about working on it and how much advance notice is necessary? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas, cautions, etc...I'd especially like to hear from the 260/261 owners with experience...Russ

I have a 261(not mtronic ) that Mastermind ported for me about a year ago. I have to say I love that saw. Its very very impressive. I cant say I have any complaints at all about it. Just go to brads profile by clicking on his name in post. Then send him a private message. Enjoy it Im excited to see how the CM will do ported .

I run a 3/8/18" setup on my Jred 2153 that Brad ported, and it runs great with that setup. Only buried full bar deep in Locust does it seem to not enjoy its toil. It has proven itself mighty well. Oh, and it's "Snelling".

Even a non M-Tronic 261 will pull a 20" bar well with 3/8" chain. An M-Tronic version will no doubt pull it better. A ported saw by Brad will EASILY pull an 18" 3/8" bar buried in the toughest wood you can find.
One thing the 261's do have is bucketloads of torque and an awesome filter. If you fit a set of dual MS361 spikes then they are a very good setup.

It'll be very interesting to see if the MTronic can handle the extensive mods that are required to make a 261 run like it does. MTronic is a great thing for 99% of users. I'm a 1%er:) Most will likely prefer and be better off with the MTronic.

Last edited:
It'll be very interesting to see if the MTronic can handle the extensive mods that are required to make a 261 run like it does. MTronic is a great thing for 99% of users. I'm a 1%er:) Most will likely prefer and be better off with the MTronic.

You know I was talking to Randy about the same thing a couple months ago. with the extensive material removal on the intake side. I guess we will see. Im more than happy with my 261.

Wait

Don't go out and have the saw ported right off the bat, unless you have already run the same model, you'll have nothing to compare it to.

Do you have the money to pay for the new saw? or does it go on credit? the porting? is Brad accepting amex now?

Are you going to be the one doing any and all work on your saw?

M-Tronic is a Gen1 AT system that confuses and "foggs" as many techs as the Gen2 AT systems ( would be more than Gen2 but many great techs are afraid of technology, albeight they use it to get to work everyday).

If you want a 261MT get one, run it like you stole it, see what issues you may have, determine your level of dealer competence, your using it daily to make money (sorry pay off your credit card debt before paying to have it ported, actually use what you have at hand before buying more saws).

So much could be said, but we all live different lives, and lack so much knowledge of each other.

Don't go out and have the saw ported right off the bat, unless you have already run the same model, you'll have nothing to compare it to.

Do you have the money to pay for the new saw? or does it go on credit? the porting? is Brad accepting amex now?

Are you going to be the one doing any and all work on your saw?

M-Tronic is a Gen1 AT system that confuses and "foggs" as many techs as the Gen2 AT systems ( would be more than Gen2 but many great techs are afraid of technology, albeight they use it to get to work everyday).

If you want a 261MT get one, run it like you stole it, see what issues you may have, determine your level of dealer competence, your using it daily to make money (sorry pay off your credit card debt before paying to have it ported, actually use what you have at hand before buying more saws).

So much could be said, but we all live different lives, and lack so much knowledge of each other.

I agree pay cash when you can....but a good cutting buddy of mine has a stock 260 pulling 20" of 3/8" chain and he loves it.

Could be I'm wrong, but I see a lot less "issues" from M-Tronic owners than from AT owners, gen1 (576) or gen2 (550, 562, etc). Especially when it comes to hot/warm starts - where the M-Tronic just flat out shines.

Could be I'm wrong, but I see a lot less "issues" from M-Tronic owners than from AT owners, gen1 (576) or gen2 (550, 562, etc). Especially when it comes to hot/warm starts - where the M-Tronic just flat out shines.

The truth to the matter is there are many more (cant give a number but at least 10 fold) AT vs MT users.

The hot/warm starts issues has plagued the illiterate for both Stihl and Husqvarna for years, AT/MT or just plain old carb.

The AT system brought something different to the plate, fuel setting resets and software updates, for the most resolved the issues.

Hot and warm starts aren't and have never been an issue with the Gen 1 system (apart from operator error), and the 576 was the baby to show it.

Issues thus far with the Gen 2 system have been addressed and dealt with promptly.

For a new platform/family its an amazing feat, normally we wait for 5+ yrs for things to get fixed.

I don't know of a single person running a 261 or 441, but know many running 576/570/550/555/562AT's, cant ever get a MT saw at any dealer near here.

For every "issue" you read about there are thousands of saws doing there job day in and day out from the same production run.

Not doubting you Hamish, but I'll tell you flatout that no saw I have ever ran has ever started as easily as my ported 441R C-M. Not even close.

Not doubting you Hamish, but I'll tell you flatout that no saw I have ever ran has ever started as easily as my ported 441R C-M. Not even close.[/QUOTE

How did it start pre-porting?

Is this your first MT/AT ( I may be mistaken but don't you have a 545 and Triple Nickel?)

Nope wrong person!

Last edited:
Mine will sometimes start first pull cold.

I've even let it sit for months on end and it started first pull. I don't remember it taking more than two, unless I had the switch in the wrong position.

It hot starts in one pull most every time.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

The 261 snorts pretty good in stock form, just a muff mod is cheap and will wake it up a little more. No need to spend the extra bread on porting if you have a 441.

Last edited:
Mine will sometimes start first pull cold.

I've even let it sit for months on end and it started first pull. I don't remember it taking more than two, unless I had the switch in the wrong position.

It hot starts in one pull most every time.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Yup, mine starts first pull EVERY time if it's hot, warm, or even has been ran within say 48 hours. After that, or running the tank dry, I may have to pull it (gasp) 3 times - I think maybe once 4 times, but I was distracted and may have lost count.

Back