MS 261 is on the site - a bit disapointed though

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that making assumptions on anything, including saws, going by the specs is a poor way to judge the best or worst of something.

I will not give an opinion on the 261, as I have not held or ran one yet. The 346 I have held and ran and liked it alot. I like my 260 just as well and I like an inboard clutch and the feel/balance of the 260 over the 346, which is the reason behind my purchase.
I feel, Count, that a 60cc saw would have been a better choice for a 1 saw plan. Like a 361 or a 357xp. Now you will need a 70cc saw to give you more versatility.

Once I get a chance to run a 261 through some wood, I will give my opinion on it. I am optimistic about it though. It looks to be a great saw to me. Also looks anything but cheap IMO. That filtration setup is awesome. Looks to have alot of work put into it. Looking forward to running it.

Depends on how big of stuff you cut, i think. Im perfectly happy with a 50cc saw, heck my 37cc did all of it decently.

An inboard clutch always is a bad design on a smaller saw, as it pushes the bar way too far out from the centre of mass, or mass axis - making the saws "backyard specials" that has little to do in the woods.

They may perform and handle very well for "sawbuck use", but the story will change in the woods! :givebeer:

How much further out? J/W

I usually don't look at minuscule things like that when buying a saw. I pick it up, take it outside and cut on some wood. Get a good feel for the balance and decide if it fits. I know everyone has thier own opinion on fit. A Dolmar 7900 fits me better than any saw I've ever held over 60cc. A 260 handles better to me than a 346xp. A 361 feels alot better in my hands than a 362. A 660 better than a 390 or 395. A Husky 372 feels alot better to me than a 440 or 460. Probably different for everyone, but I don't need a spec sheet to come up with my conclusions. The power differences in any class of saw are irrelavant to me. If the saw that feels better in my hands just happens to have more power than the others then well, thats just an added bonus. :rose:

Anthony, I've got to say something too :D

A 50cc can work fine for a one saw plan, even with the 261 ;). I did it for 10 years with a 45cc. Really depends on the size wood. I live in the Ozarks, lots of hard wood and I've yet to run into a tree my old 346 couldn't handle. Cuttin 10-15 cords a year. :cheers:

An inboard clutch always is a bad design on a smaller saw, as it pushes the bar way too far out from the centre of mass, or mass axis - making the saws "backyard specials" that has little to do in the woods.

They may perform and handle very well for "sawbuck use", but the story will change in the woods! :givebeer:

Yup thats why the 260 with the inboard clutch was the most sold pro saw in world. I reckon some folks cut wood, some folks talk alot about axis, some folks tend to talk out their axis but its good for giggles,LOLOL

A 50cc can work fine for a one saw plan, even with the 261 ;). I did it for 10 years with a 45cc. Really depends on the size wood. I live in the Ozarks, lots of hard wood and I've yet to run into a tree my old 346 couldn't handle. Cuttin 10-15 cords a year. :cheers:

It darned sure can my friend. And alot of guys are doing that. It was JMO that more can be done with a 60cc saw, thats all. :)

P.S.: These new smilies are sooo lame!

I have finally found time to do some firewoodin' myself this week. I have cut close to three cords this week. Gonna cut two pickup-loads tomorrow. Me and my ole faithful, MS361. :cheers:

Last edited:

your village called.........

Depends on how big of stuff you cut, i think. Im perfectly happy with a 50cc saw, heck my 37cc did all of it decently.

I find myself wanting a 100+cc saw a lot of times. I don't heat with wood myself but help family/friends and then cleanup my grandpa's farm. He's got oak trees down that are 40" or more. A 90cc saw seems small when messing with them. I wouldn't attempt it with a 50cc saw.

Yup thats why the 260 with the inboard clutch was the most sold pro saw in world. I reckon some folks cut wood, some folks talk alot about axis, some folks tend to talk out their axis but its good for giggles,LOLOL
That one was light, so many overlooked the sideways balance issue - the 261 isn't anywhere close to light!

It darned sure can my friend. And alot of guys are doing that. It was JMO that more can be done with a 60cc saw, thats all. :)

P.S.: These new smilies are sooo lame!

I have finally found time to do some firewoodin' myself this week. I have cut close to three cords this week. Gonna cut two pickup-loads tomorrow. Me and my ole faithful, MS361. :cheers:
Yes, my friend and a 60cc is probably a better choice for one saw. Just about every thread on here is opinions :skeleton::D

I've cut close to 15 cords since Oct and hope to get another 5 cut this winter. Been too cold lately though. Maybe this weekend.

The old smilies are still there, just have to scroll down :cheers:

That one was light, so many overlooked the sideways balance issue - the 261 isn't anywhere close to light!

LOLOL, sounds like more out your axis talk there. Your correct about the sideways balance thing though, 99.9% of users have never heard of that term at all.

Sawtroll don'tcha love how I like messing with you,haha

Yep. I helped cut wood growing up for years with a 021 and 026. Thought that 026 was a big saw....and it was the biggest we had!!lol Then got a 041 and it was BAD.lol After the 041, I made the switch. Then a lot of years later I find this place and find people cutting fire wood with 90cc's. Biggest I got now is 372, and its plenty big for my use....sometimes too big. But over powered is better than under powered.:cheers:

Edit, Now that i got the 346, the 372 will probably be used even less. But its nice to have it when its needed.

Last edited:
Yep. I helped cut wood growing up for years with a 021 and 026. Thought that 026 was a big saw....and it was the biggest we had!!lol Then got a 041 and it was BAD.lol After the 041, I made the switch. Then a lot of years later I find this place and find people cutting fire wood with 90cc's. Biggest I got now is 372, and its plenty big for my use....sometimes too big. But over powered is better than under powered.:cheers:

Edit, Now that i got the 346, the 372 will probably be used even less. But its nice to have it when its needed.

Haha, yeah man. A guy can get a lot done with what he has. I have absolutely no need for a larger saw , but I just might get a 372xp some day... :cool:

It also depends on how you cut your wood. I like to cut mine lengthwise, and I found a 60CC to be underpowered. It would get the tree to lay down but couldn't make it into lumber very well.
A 90CC or two is better.
154999d1287785409-stihl42inch8x6-jpg

156831d1288905950-d-660-s-8x6-jpg

It also depends on how you cut your wood. I like to cut mine lengthwise, and I found a 60CC to be underpowered. It would get the tree to lay down but couldn't make it into lumber very well.
A 90CC or two is better.
Yep, cross cut or ripping makes a difference. I helped my bro build a bandsaw mill. Works great! :D

:cheers:

Last edited:

"I made the switch", me too.
REJ2

Latest posts

Back