MS 261 is on the site - a bit disapointed though

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a good one!:laugh:

btw, I hate turtlenecks. Looks great on females, not a piece of clothing made for a male though.

I agree. I had my grandma to net me just a neck with front and back a little longer to fit/secure it under my shirt and only wear it when freezing cold and remove it when I can`t stand it anymore.

let me ask you this: 261 had great reviews.
could it be because it was tried mostly by bias Stihl lovers?
I have great respect for Stihl, I have great respect for MS260 (and Pro), don`t get me wrong. but could it be that the 261 is the same as 260 and due to some exuberance and long wait the fans tend to make it out more than it is ?

I am repeating myself: I don`t say that this is the case; I just ask.

are there any guys that are not brand biased that tried the 261 vs 260?

cheers.

as it obviously will not handle like a 346xp in the woods.

Are we talking dirt bikes or chain saws??? I have a MS260PRO that is MM. I love that little saw. I will be getting a MS261 though, just because I have CAD... I LIKE ALL STIHL SAWS!!!! I am brand biased so my review wouldn't count... LOL!!!

been browsing for a while, but only now they put the 261 on the site.

Arizona Machinery - Avondale, AZ 85392 PHOENIX - MS 261 Chain Saw

by the look of it, I am not impressed; sorry.

next to 346 XP:
60$ more expensive
0.6 lbs heavier
0.05 hp more power.
RMC chain

:popcorn:

how about you run one first, then provide us with your opinion afterwards, instead of reading the "stats" in a book and telling us you arnt impressed with them.. :dizzy:, hell of a way to form an opinion on anything

someone called this thread "legitimate" .. if you consider forming opinions on power tools (especially a saw) simply by reading the manufacturers numbers, legitimate, then the word has lost its meaning

Last edited:
let me ask you this: 261 had great reviews.
could it be because it was tried mostly by bias Stihl lovers?
I have great respect for Stihl, I have great respect for MS260 (and Pro), don`t get me wrong. but could it be that the 261 is the same as 260 and due to some exuberance and long wait the fans tend to make it out more than it is ?

I am repeating myself: I don`t say that this is the case; I just ask.

are there any guys that are not brand biased that tried the 261 vs 260?

cheers.

After all your post going on and on about what saw to buy.
Then as soon as you pick a saw you start some BS about the other saw.
I have a feeling if you had picked a Stihl, you would be trash talking
the Husky now..........I do think you like to stir the pot a little as
it seems that was your idea when you started this thread.

This is how I see it anyway :)

TT

This is how I see it anyway :)

your vision is 20/20 from where im sitting

he makes 20 threads over analyzing every aspect of every saw, even bringing mathematical equations to the table, to somehow better his decision in which saw to buy, finally buys one, then immediately makes a thread bashing the competing saw(based on manufacturer spec sheet, double lol) he chose not to purchase... am i missing anything? lol

Last edited:
Wouldn't the inboard clutch be better than an outboard one though? Or am i being stupid? I have used my 346 for the first time in ages today and have really enjoyed it! Was lowering some cotoneaster from about 20ft to around 3 and it did handle admirably well in the thick of it! :)

Last edited:
some of you were right; believe it or not, Stihl was my first choice since the beginning;
further analysis led me to Husky;
at the time I thought one saw would do it. and I wanted the perfect choice; Little I`ve dreamed that it won`t be enough by far.
now with the USA cheap way to get saws, my father wants one aswel;
and guess what ???
I want to order a Stihl for him; (he already has a Stihl trimmer).
that`s the skim I am hatching right now....
a 70 cc would have made more sense since mine is 50 but again he`s old.....
and I want a 576 all for myself
cheers and thanks for the inputs.
as it turned out, stirring the pot brings up the best infos for a guy;
:D

after that, I`ll keep the 340 for an emergency spare and the chinese Sunfly I`ll give it for free to a neighbor (for parts)

Wouldn't the inboard clutch be better than an outboard one though? Or am i being stupid? I have used my 346 for the first time in ages today and have really enjoyed it! Was lowering some cotoneaster from about 20ft to around 3 and it did handle admirably well in the thick of it! :)

Outboard, inboard doesn't really mater, they both work fine. I like the outboard myself, because it puts the bar/chain a bit closer to the center of the saw and seems to make a slimmer saw design.

Starting a appreciate the 346 are ya? :D

Outboard, inboard doesn't really mater, they both work fine. I like the outboard myself, because it puts the bar/chain a bit closer to the center of the saw and seems to make a slimmer saw design.

Starting a appreciate the 346 are ya? :D

Yep, that is important on smaller saws!

We're suppose to get 3-5 inches here tomorrow, I hate snow. I'm too old for the cold weather. My bones are brittle and my mind is weak, my wrinkled skin is very delicate, shivers run up my old feet. What am I saying, I hate snow,LOLOL

Thanks, Tommy! I was looking for something to beef up my signature.

I agree that making assumptions on anything, including saws, going by the specs is a poor way to judge the best or worst of something.

I will not give an opinion on the 261, as I have not held or ran one yet. The 346 I have held and ran and liked it alot. I like my 260 just as well and I like an inboard clutch and the feel/balance of the 260 over the 346, which is the reason behind my purchase.
I feel, Count, that a 60cc saw would have been a better choice for a 1 saw plan. Like a 361 or a 357xp. Now you will need a 70cc saw to give you more versatility.

Once I get a chance to run a 261 through some wood, I will give my opinion on it. I am optimistic about it though. It looks to be a great saw to me. Also looks anything but cheap IMO. That filtration setup is awesome. Looks to have alot of work put into it. Looking forward to running it.

An inboard clutch always is a bad design on a smaller saw, as it pushes the bar way too far out from the centre of mass, or mass axis - making the saws "backyard specials" that has little to do in the woods.

They may perform and handle very well for "sawbuck use", but the story will change in the woods! :givebeer:

Latest posts

Back