Ms 280

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He can't provide proof, he's a dumb as:censored: Wanabe

the proof is in the search function.

i have read the posts, you have ignored them or cried foul. no suprise really.

:cheers:

Sure, it is just that it a bit too heavy and bulky for the power........:greenchainsaw:

I haven't run one but based on Stihl's specs, it's smaller, lighter and makes almost as much peak power as the MS 290. The fact that it's always at peak power means that it probably makes more power over it's operating range (flatter torque curve) than most saws in it's class.

I haven't run one but based on Stihl's specs, it's smaller, lighter and makes almost as much peak power as the MS 290. .....

Compared to the 290 it sure is a good choise - no-brainer, really.

Comparing it to a 346xp or 5100S is a totally different story though......:greenchainsaw:

I believe the "allway peak power" story isn't like you posted at all, more like compensating for dirty air filters........

Last edited:
I haven't run one but based on Stihl's specs, it's smaller, lighter and makes almost as much peak power as the MS 290. The fact that it's always at peak power means that it probably makes more power over it's operating range (flatter torque curve) than most saws in it's class.

actually one of the problems i had with the 270's-280's is a narrow powerband. i have never run a 290 so i cant comment but from what i read it is narrow as well.

they are light saws.

actually one of the problems i had with the 270's-280's is a narrow powerband. i have never run a 290 so i cant comment but from what i read it is narrow as well.

they are light saws.

This proves you know nothing.

The 270/280 have a very broad powerband. Much more so than the 290 series saws and more so than even a 372. Basically they have a decent amount of power over a broad range. Makes them more forgiving to use and easier to keep the chain spinning. They are quite a fun little saw to use because of this.

Last edited:
This proves you know nothing.

The 270/280 have a very broad powerband. Much more so than the 290 series saws and much more so than even a 372. They are quite a fun little saw to use because of this.

all it proves is i have never run a 290 or 372. the more you post the less i think you know about saws. the 270-280 are gutless compared to any of my saws, there i said it now.

all it proves is i have never run a 290 or 372. the more you post the less i think you know about saws. the 270-280 are gutless compared to any of my saws, there i said it now.

Ha! I have ran a 455 like yours and a 290. They are VERY comparable with RSC chain.

The 270/280 may not be faster, but have a better powerband.

Maybe one day we can race my ported 280 against your 346. Should be fun.

Sounds like a good idea to me. It's nice to know that your saw won't be as sluggish when it's 90 deg F with high humidity and yet not be too lean when you cut in the fall.

Lakeside, can this feature be converted to conventional setup if it becomes problematic?
Fatguy, Love your avatar!

Ha! I have ran a 455 like yours and a 290. They are VERY comparable with RSC chain.

The 270/280 may not be faster, but have a better powerband.

LoL!

you just proved my point about you. you claim the 290 has a narrow band. it is widely accepted the x-torq 455 is a wide torque band, anything but a screamer.

not comparable at all. the 270/280/290 all use .325 chain and the 455 pull's 3/8 no problem.

as for racing the 346xp, well its not a race saw mate.

:cool:

LoL!

you just proved my point about you. you claim the 290 has a narrow band. it is widely accepted the x-torq 455 is a wide torque band, anything but a screamer.

not comparable at all. the 270/280/290 all use .325 chain and the 455 pull's 3/8 no problem.

Maybe for a Husky. I've never used a Husky except a 394 that had a nice wide powerband. They are just a peaky high rpm group of saws that will cut fast with a light touch but don't have much grunt. The 455 is no different. I've heard the NE346 is better, but haven't used one yet.

I'm not sure why the 280 has .325 chain, it'll pull 3/8 with no trouble I'm sure.

Around here the 290's come with 3/8" chain. You really need to try some more powerful saws if you think a 455 pulls 3/8 with 'no problem.'

I just don't get it. Are you just here to cause trouble? You seem to seek out a fight every chance you get. You try to stick your nose in stuff you don't seem to have any knowledge in. You constantly bicker with established members with more knowledge than you'll ever have. You run your trap every chance you get, yet Brian claims you're a nice guy in person.

:monkey:

Lots of factors involved in the .325 vs. 3/8" debate in this class of saws - you need to try both options in your own wood.........:censored:

I just don't get it. Are you just here to cause trouble? You seem to seek out a fight every chance you get. You try to stick your nose in stuff you don't seem to have any knowledge in. You constantly bicker with established members with more knowledge than you'll ever have. You run your trap every chance you get, yet Brian claims you're a nice guy in person.

:monkey:

LMAO! your the one who comment about my post and came into this. you seem the one seeking a confrontation. again you claim i have no knowledge. if using a 270 and 280 professionally is no knowledge than you are right again!

:clap:

all these thing i have no knowledge of but i have been right everytime. hhmmm! i am wrong once everysoofften! aint i????

LMFAO!

WTG sweetpea!

What a bunch of idiots!!

Guy comes on the board and asks a simple question and ya'll bicker like a bunch of little "snot nosed brats".

If you have experience with this saw then post an answer.If not your 2 cents worth isn't even worth that.

Ya' want to bicker go to the off topic section.

This crap gets real old after awhile......................:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Last edited:
Guy comes on the board and asks a simple question and ya'll bicker like a bunch of little "snot nosed brats".

If you have experience with this saw then post an answer.If not your 2 cents worth isn't even worth that.

Ya' want to bicker go to the off topic section.

This crap gets real old after awhile......................:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Oh yeah hey Wanab leave just mows "willie" alone

If you read it again you'll see that many did offer their experience, me included. Then wanab comes in and stirs the pot as usual.

Sounds like a good idea to me. It's nice to know that your saw won't be as sluggish when it's 90 deg F with high humidity and yet not be too lean when you cut in the fall.

Lakeside, can this feature be converted to conventional setup if it becomes problematic?
Fatguy, Love your avatar!

You could change the flywheel, ignition and carb.. sure... but they've been working well for around a year in the USA and two or more in Europe... If the solenoid in the carb fails or wears, it's easily replaceable. I don't see any part that's "weak" or poorly designed. The system is really quite simple.

You could change the flywheel, ignition and carb.. sure... but they've been working well for around a year in the USA and two or more in Europe... If the solenoid in the carb fails or wears, it's easily replaceable. I don't see any part that's "weak" or poorly designed. The system is really quite simple.

That fits, they tried to "dump" the old version on us a couple of years ago here, at MS250 minus price - I resisted, but just barely (they are rated at more power here than in the US, muffler again, I guess....).........:givebeer:

Last edited:
Back