Ms 280

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a good idea to me. It's nice to know that your saw won't be as sluggish when it's 90 deg F with high humidity and yet not be too lean when you cut in the fall.

Lakeside, can this feature be converted to conventional setup if it becomes problematic?
Fatguy, Love your avatar!

AVATAR?!?!? That's an actual photo!!!:cheers: lol

new MS280 owner

Just breaking in my 280 this month. Several pounds heavier than my old 025 with the same bar length (18"). It seems to run much longer on a tank of gas although the fuel tank capacity is just 5cc higher. With a 10cc bigger engine displacement I'd expect it to be more fuel thirsty. Idling mode seems to be smoother and quieter than the 025. Even with an Elastostart cord upgrade I occasionally get too much compression resistance to pull the cord. A decompression valve was only available on the "deluxe" C-BQ version which I did not opt for, and most folks do not think one is necessary on saws under 60cc. So far Im enjoying using my 280.

delta

stihl 011, 025, 280

quoting the current Stihl catalog on IEM

"...The digitally controlled magnetic valve opens and closes 33 times per second, allowing for the precise control of the fuel feed.... The fuel-air mixture is automatically and constantly adjusted, allowing for maximum operating efficiency under varying conditions, like altitude, outside temperature or even fuel quality..."

Does this explain the better fuel efficiency?

Havent had a good run with MS 280. The case broke underneath, then engine went after only 15 months. Had a Husqvarna 350 for 4 years and it is still going untill the other day when I cracked the clutch trying to remove it and made mistake of not having a torch handy to heat it up and loosen with some crc. The old stihls used to last a lot better, only the pullers would fail. On order a new 50cc 346xp, hoping it will outperform both of them and at a light weight. Dont know if a 357xp would be better, couldnt decide between that and 346xp. 1 lb, 0.7 hp difference.

Last edited:
Havent had a good run with MS 280. The case broke underneath, then engine went after only 15 months. Had a Husqvarna 350 for 4 years and it is still going untill the other day when I cracked the clutch trying to remove it and made mistake of not having a torch handy to heat it up and loosen with some crc. The old stihls used to last a lot better, only the pullers would fail. On order a new 50cc 346xp, hoping it will outperform both of them and at a light weight. Dont know if a 357xp would be better, couldnt decide between that and 346xp. 1 lb, 0.7 hp difference.

Why did the case break. Why not tell the whole story.

I dont know why it broke, it was only cutting wood. It wasnt damaged or dropped or anything. It has a weak join between the 2 parts of the case underneath. The 350 would cut just as well and felt a lot lighter to use.

Which part broke? I've never seen a broken case/tank on the 280... It's been a great selling saw - no money in service though - almost never see them again! :)

The engines are good for a couple of thousand hours. What happened to yours?

Last edited:
Theres a thin part underneath about 1" wide. If someone has a photo of one underneath i could show you. The engine turns half a turn then locks up, i didnt bother to pull it apart but its either the rod or crank. maybe they send the junk to australia, and my 280 isnt the same as your 280. we usually get junk.

.... On order a new 50cc 346xp, hoping it will outperform both of them and at a light weight. Dont know if a 357xp would be better, couldnt decide between that and 346xp. 1 lb, 0.7 hp difference.

The true weight difference is quite a bit more.

Latest posts

Back