ms 290?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I'm running a small landscaping business"

could there possibly be bigger trees to be dealt with in this busness. id think theyre might be. since this could be the case id think about saw that could handle a 24" bar, stihl 390, 361 maybe 310. husky 460 359.

the 310 might be the best bet. we run our work saw with a 25" bar and it does good untill it gets into bar sized wood. this saw also ways the same as the 290 just with more ponies under the hood

I have cut at least 11 full cords every year for the last seven years with my 290. Still looks and runs great. No problems of any kind.

"I'm running a small landscaping business"

could there possibly be bigger trees to be dealt with in this busness. id think theyre might be. since this could be the case id think about saw that could handle a 24" bar, stihl 390, 361 maybe 310. husky 460 359.

the 310 might be the best bet. we run our work saw with a 25" bar and it does good untill it gets into bar sized wood. this saw also ways the same as the 290 just with more ponies under the hood

that is a good point, the 390 would prolly be his best option as he says money is very important 361 would be ideal. but 310 is best value for farm boss series. i know in softwood (dougfir) a 310 will pull a 25 inch bar ok, but it does bog down but will get the job done.
i also think the 270 would be a little small considering it would be your only saw to use

it would probably be rare that I would have anything much bigger then 20"... I would definitely never drop anything big, mostly just clearing downed limbs. I think they 290 would be enough saw. What exactly should I plan on spending on one?

I've run a 290 straight for at least 10 hours a day since Tuesday and have not had a single problem with it. It don't cut as fast as the 046 its standing in for but its getting the job done.

Having no prior experience with it before this week, I have been impressed with what its done.

:cheers:

I've run a 290 straight for at least 10 hours a day since Tuesday and have not had a single problem with it. It don't cut as fast as the 046 its standing in for but its getting the job done.

Having no prior experience with it before this week, I have been impressed with what its done.

:cheers:

iv prolly put 60+ hours on a ms310 a few months ago fell limbed and bucked like 40 alder , which turned out to be like4-5 cord. then i bucked up 2 cord of 32 inch fir rounds and thinned 4 acres of 35 yo timber and it runs great, still getting stronger, its overweight but it runs strong, and its not an unmanagible weight by no means. i also cut up 5-6 old apple trees and a few dead cherrys. the saw really impressed me for what it is. my go to saws are my 026 and 044 though. a farmboss saw is a decent one saw for the homeowner who just cuts firewood for personal use and the occasional tree to remove or whatever the case.

it would probably be rare that I would have anything much bigger then 20"... I would definitely never drop anything big, mostly just clearing downed limbs. I think they 290 would be enough saw. What exactly should I plan on spending on one?

what ever it cost, plan to spend the extra $40 to get a 310. with a MM, it will cut with a 361.

for 400$ get a Dolmar 5100 or even better check home depot they might have a Makita=Dolmar 6400 former rental saw to sell as far as I have read around here they go for 200$. Much better than any recomendation sofar!

May I come back here some day?;)

nmurph

i was going to say that with a muffler mod the 310 would probly run right with the 361 but figured id better leave that alone.

whatever saw you get send sawtroll a pm and ask what bar lenght you should run so that you make sure and get that right

Evan

a mm 310 should cut with a 361 youd notice a weight diff a long with anti vibe but still its cheap and preforms well. ms310 is all around best bang for buck

i will say, the weight difference bw the 310 and 6400 is non-existent. the actual weight of both is about 13lb, 10oz, give or take a nano-gram. i did not mention the 6400 bc the OP was about a 290.

i will say, the weight difference bw the 310 and 6400 is non-existent. the actual weight of both is about 13lb, 10oz, give or take a nano-gram. i did not mention the 6400 bc the OP was about a 290.

I know!

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

If your not going to be cutting 5 cords plus a year then go get it. I have one and it's a great saw. It's not a PRO series saw and is not designed the same. I was talking to my dealer about these saws and being a clamshell design they have a hard time with overheating.

I have the same problem with my 290, i have to give it a ''break'' after a while and pick up something else...
other than that i am happy with the saw.

Back