MS 310>390 upgrade possible?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bingo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been lurking here for quite awhile now. Time to invest in this place...experts galore and I've learned quite a bit lately. All is appreciated. But this is something that I have yet to run across in all my reading: Can I drop a P/C from a 390/391 onto my MS 310 and end up with a somewhat different saw? I read that the 290/310/390 are in the same 1127/clam shell family and am wondering if this would be possible or worth doing...
For arguments sake my 11 year old 310 has done nothing but run well for me. An occasional clutch sprocket/needle bearing, bars/chains sharpened correctly and she's been good to go. I cut maybe 6-7 cord of firewood a year and the occasional dead tree in the yard or for friends. Not a "pro", daily use saw just a good running homeowners saw. God forbid I just discovered some think it's made of plastic!...But for now I think I can handle that...
After all these years I'm just finishing my first MM today (using pics fm nmurph...all credit to him if it works...all blame on me if I screw up!)...Makes me think I could have gotten better use out of this saw had I known about this earlier, but better late than never and I can't think of a better way to force concentration on what you're doing than to do a modded tune on your one and only saw!...I fear CAD and would like to move up to a 440 or something like that but for now the 310 seems to do what I ask of it. I'm just curious as to options down the road re the powerplant. I like the balance/handling of this old saw with a 20" bar and I'd just as soon keep it running as well as possible. Perhaps the more experienced builders here can straighten me out on this.
Thanks all and I enjoy this forum immensely.

Last edited:
Yes it can be done. Baileys is selling the complete 390 complete assembly for $149. It includes the crank, piston, cylinder, new bearings, new seals, just drop in.
If you need help with this, in my signature line there are 2 great threads on how to assemble, disaaemble the 1127 series saw. Good luck and Welcome.

PS I'm down south in Michigan so if you need help, let me know.

Welcome to AS

DSC_7991.jpg

Here is one I did not long ago with a "ES" 24 3/4" bar :D

Drop in one of Baileys long blocks change all your filters and lines and air intake once you have it apart and have that saw another 11 + years :msp_smile:

310>390 swap

Thanks guys. Appreciate the quick responses. And though I don't really need it right now, and hopefully for quite awhile, maybe I should just get the complete kit and have it on the shelf for when I want a "new" saw...and the kit won't get any cheaper over time either...Thanks for that info sefh3. Might take you up on that contact info when I can. (MGOBlue...absolutely...just get by Al...).
Good to know there are good sources of correct info around here...

310>390 Baileys kit

Checked the Bailey's site. Their kit is an NWB SB 49mm for a 390 upgrade. ($149). Looks good. Be nice sitting on the shelf for when I need it. But it looks like a lot more work than I want to get into here. If I end up w/a kit I think I'd send it out to one of you guys. I'd want someone doing it that's done dozens of em. Then I'd know it was done right. New saw down the road? ...already got it sitting on the shelf if I get it.
Finished the MM today and re-tuned. Seems ok...burples a bit at WOT and cleans up in the wood. Plug is medium brown after stopping it at WOT in the wood. Might be a tad rich...think that's good for now though as I'm not very experienced w/tuning and maybe a tad hesitant. But I think I now know what the right tune is supposed to sound like. And it sure sounds different...a bit louder, which is to be expected. Sounds more like a racing go-cart on high-test now...Love it!....Feels like it really wants to get into the wood!...And it seems to want to start after only one pull choked,(used to be 5-6), and maybe one pull off-choke. Now I wanna start cutting something...anything!...I'll get there...Thanks again guys...you're guidance is valuable.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, the MS391, no, not the same.

+1 the MS391 is not the same as the other 1127 series saws (029, super, MS290, MS310, MS390).
Otherwise you seem to be on the right track. The MS310 is a great saw, although not a pro saw. It is what it is. I've owned several and they are fine in their class.

I get in this same situation every year when firewood cutting starts. Ive got a 310 also with muffler mod. Every year i contmplate a 440 but just cant spend the money. Im thinking the 390 kit would be a great option. I noticed both kits listed in the thread mention a decompression valve. My 310 doesnt have one. I imagine i can just cut a hole in my case and buy a valve or just plug it. Any benefit of going with the Baileys kit vs the Northwoods kit? Im probably due for piston and rings by now, theyve never been done.

I get in this same situation every year when firewood cutting starts. Ive got a 310 also with muffler mod. Every year i contmplate a 440 but just cant spend the money. Im thinking the 390 kit would be a great option. I noticed both kits listed in the thread mention a decompression valve. My 310 doesnt have one. I imagine i can just cut a hole in my case and buy a valve or just plug it. Any benefit of going with the Baileys kit vs the Northwoods kit? Im probably due for piston and rings by now, theyve never been done.

I plug mine with a decomp plug out of a 440 :msp_biggrin:

The case I used is out of a MS 290 I got from Fish :)

Back